WDW Permits Part 4

Lee

Adventurer
I'm shocked there hasn't been a leak about what's happening in there.

It's driving me nuts, especially when you combine permits like the last few and the fact that Disney wouldn't let any Adventurers appear at Congaloosh this year. They gonna be busy?

A guy can dream...:rolleyes:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm shocked there hasn't been a leak about what's happening in there.

It's driving me nuts, especially when you combine permits like the last few and the fact that Disney wouldn't let any Adventurers appear at Congaloosh this year. They gonna be busy?

A guy can dream...:rolleyes:
I am not getting my hopes up until the samurai diver statue is reported missing from D-Street.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Oh, how I covet that thing....
My screensaver is a series of AC photos...I always smile when I see that samurai.:D
You and me both. I would give my left you know what to have that in my living room. I would give both to have it back above the bar in the "clube".:D

John

WOW....I finally found out where you guys hang at....at the permits thread......hmmmmm

Lee I cant believe you havnt even heared a sniff of whats going on... I would figure your radar would have went "tilt" if there was nearly a mention.

Well we can look at it two ways and two ways only....one of them is bad. Although it does say construction....that is a broad term.

The good news is....they are doing something.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
When you say theming and such, what could they possibly be doing? This wouldn't be simple things like removing artifacts before demo?

Well, I suppose it could be that. I've never seen a permit for minor demolition or removing artifacts, but it's possible.

I just meant that BVCC is known for doing the Disney-specific work on projects, after the general contractors put up the building, BVCC will often install ride components, infrastructure for ride and AA systems, and usually finish out the themed components.

GymLeaderPhil

When you say theming and such, what could they possibly be doing? This wouldn't be simple things like removing artifacts before demo?
All of the club's artifacts were already removed, in addition to all equipment used by the Cast at the bar, behind the scenes, and actors. The only things that remain are difficult to remove - like the chandelier and Babs.

I just hope that they don't take a Wonders of Life approach and make this a generic meeting space for conventions and such.

WDWmazprty

This may have been posted elswhere and I apologize if it has been , but I like to see evidence that SOMETHING should be happening soon in PI:

Disney files new permits for Pleasure Island club renovation
By Wendy Neeld– August 5, 2011

http://www.yourhighwayinthesky.com/...-permits-for-pleasure-island-club-renovation/

Concept Sketch of Hyperion Wharf
According to a permit filed with Orange county, Disney will be re-commencing work on its Pleasure Island clubs. The document, noted by the Epcot Explorer’s Encyclopedia is a standard, generalized government document. A Notice of Commencement form, it announces that “improvements will be made to certain retail property” and specifically cites Mannequins, BET Soundstage, Adventurer’s Club, and the Comedy Warehouse. The forms specify the intent is to “provide labor, materials and/or equipment for construction,” a broad description that provides little insight into the nature of the upcoming project.

What the filed permits do reveal, however, is that Disney does not intend to eliminate the buildings. The Notice of Commencement is specifically used for the construction, improvement of or alteration of buildings. Those structures may be dramatically changed and renovated, but their basic structures will remain.

The forlorn remnants of the Adventurer's Club
The filing of the notice is unexpected so soon after the July 12 official announcement that Disney was pausing in its changes to Pleasure Island to “refine our master plan,” an announcement that fuelled speculation about the abandonment of the previously announced Hyperion Wharf project, a project name that was not even mentioned in the July 12 statement.

Although the lack of specificity in the permits leaves the nature of the renovations in Pleasure Island a tantalizing mystery, the documents do imply that Disney does intend to move forward on reviving the 1.5 mile dead space in the center of its Downtown Disney complex. Fans of the area eagerly await more information about the nature of the changes, hoping that Disney’s promise that “any delay will be worth the wait once we’re able to share details about the exciting work we’ve been doing” will be kept with entertainment and unique Disney offerings rather than a mere expansion of third party vendor retail space.

jt04

This may have been posted elswhere and I apologize if it has been , but I like to see evidence that SOMETHING should be happening soon in PI:

Disney files new permits for Pleasure Island club renovation
By Wendy Neeld– August 5, 2011

http://www.yourhighwayinthesky.com/...-permits-for-pleasure-island-club-renovation/

Concept Sketch of Hyperion Wharf
According to a permit filed with Orange county, Disney will be re-commencing work on its Pleasure Island clubs. The document, noted by the Epcot Explorer’s Encyclopedia is a standard, generalized government document. A Notice of Commencement form, it announces that “improvements will be made to certain retail property” and specifically cites Mannequins, BET Soundstage, Adventurer’s Club, and the Comedy Warehouse. The forms specify the intent is to “provide labor, materials and/or equipment for construction,” a broad description that provides little insight into the nature of the upcoming project.

What the filed permits do reveal, however, is that Disney does not intend to eliminate the buildings. The Notice of Commencement is specifically used for the construction, improvement of or alteration of buildings. Those structures may be dramatically changed and renovated, but their basic structures will remain.

The forlorn remnants of the Adventurer's Club
The filing of the notice is unexpected so soon after the July 12 official announcement that Disney was pausing in its changes to Pleasure Island to “refine our master plan,” an announcement that fuelled speculation about the abandonment of the previously announced Hyperion Wharf project, a project name that was not even mentioned in the July 12 statement.

Although the lack of specificity in the permits leaves the nature of the renovations in Pleasure Island a tantalizing mystery, the documents do imply that Disney does intend to move forward on reviving the 1.5 mile dead space in the center of its Downtown Disney complex. Fans of the area eagerly await more information about the nature of the changes, hoping that Disney’s promise that “any delay will be worth the wait once we’re able to share details about the exciting work we’ve been doing” will be kept with entertainment and unique Disney offerings rather than a mere expansion of third party vendor retail space.

As I mentioned in another thread the HW concept art never indicated the remaining buildings were to be removed. Rather it always indicated they were being repurposed. The only buildings that did not appear in the concept art were removed as depicted.

It appears that the rumors of Hyperion Wharf's demise were greatly exaggerated. :D

Lee

Adventurer
All of the club's artifacts were already removed, in addition to all equipment used by the Cast at the bar, behind the scenes, and actors.

If they need some help putting it all back, I'm available...:D

As I mentioned in another thread the HW concept art never indicated the remaining buildings were to be removed. Rather it always indicated they were being repurposed. The only buildings that did not appear in the concept art were removed as depicted.
Not true. That was a conclusion jumped to by some overzealous fans who thought they recognized some familiar buildings in the distance.
Those buildings are not in the art, and were specifically designated for demolition back at that time.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not true. That was a conclusion jumped to by some overzealous fans who thought they recognized some familiar buildings in the distance.
Those buildings are not in the art, and were specifically designated for demolition back at that time.
If I am not mistaken they even filed permits for the demolition that specifically named the AC. The project might or might not have been scrapped but there is no question that it has changed since it was first announced.

71jason

Lee I cant believe you havnt even heared a sniff of whats going on... I would figure your radar would have went "tilt" if there was nearly a mention.

Seems like no chatter anywhere on this. Very strange. I heard a new management team is coming into DtD (may be there already), apparently they can keep a secret.

Well we can look at it two ways and two ways only....one of them is bad. Although it does say construction....that is a broad term.

I don't think it's the worse case scenario--we've seen demolition permits, they say "demolition." That said, I think there are more than two possibilities. Could be renovating for a third party--or renovating in the hope of proving to a third party it's a viable retail space. Could be relatively simple upkeep--the mold issue mentioned in BET keeps popping up in my head.

If it is what we're all hoping--word will have to slip out soon. Artifacts will need to be re-claimed from D Street, actors will have to audition (while many actors still work for WDW, their AdvClub contracts were all settled), bartenders will have to be hired. Not sure if they still have the liquor permits, either, I tend to doubt it. You can't keep an operation like that a secret for long.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Seems like no chatter anywhere on this. Very strange. I heard a new management team is coming into DtD (may be there already), apparently they can keep a secret.

I don't think it's the worse case scenario--we've seen demolition permits, they say "demolition." That said, I think there are more than two possibilities. Could be renovating for a third party--or renovating in the hope of proving to a third party it's a viable retail space. Could be relatively simple upkeep--the mold issue mentioned in BET keeps popping up in my head.

If it is what we're all hoping--word will have to slip out soon. Artifacts will need to be re-claimed from D Street, actors will have to audition (while many actors still work for WDW, their AdvClub contracts were all settled), bartenders will have to be hired. Not sure if they still have the liquor permits, either, I tend to doubt it. You can't keep an operation like that a secret for long.

Disney operated under an umbrella liquor license...so that really would not be a problem.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
08/10/11 Update

SeaCastle has brought it to my attention that WDI is installing a 10-trailer complex at Epcot.

10 trailers is a lot of trailers. I know there's a WDI building behind FW, so maybe they're going to remodel that building and everyone's moving into temporary offices.

I'd like to think they're gearing up for a major project, but we would have seen site plans by now.

Mouse Detective

As I mentioned in another thread the HW concept art never indicated the remaining buildings were to be removed. Rather it always indicated they were being repurposed. The only buildings that did not appear in the concept art were removed as depicted. :D

It is true that the Hyperion Wharf concept art itself did not depict anything on the west side of Pleasure Island. But you are wrong when you say that there were never any plans to tear down BET and the Adventurers Club. Look at the Notice of Commencement filed last October. In this link to it, item 4 clearly refers to a demolished BET/Adventurers Club. And even the blueprints that were leaked showed "seed & mulch" where BET/AC once stood.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_T8rYiDUA4Ec/TLzoNq61ZdI/AAAAAAAAENA/ryreWs3fYKo/s1600/img352.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom