WDW Permits Part 3

jt04

14 Permits today. Most of them posted by BVCC (aka Disney) so they're pretty boring, vague and have no maps.

One of the permits is for work in MO3 (Expo Hall), which probably refers to the WDWMagic news article posted today about the Mickey and Minnie Meet-n-Greet coming soon to Expo Hall.

I really hope they do a fully immersive m&g similar to the ones going into the new FL. This could be great if done right.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I really hope they do a fully immersive m&g similar to the ones going into the new FL. This could be great if done right.

I agree, but I fear they're just going to throw something together. If they're going to start on FL anytime soon, that means Toontown will be bulldozed soon as well.

Unless work on FL isn't going to start as soon as we think it is, or unless they're going to have a period of downtime when M&M don't have homes, they're going to have to work fast.

I DO hope they put some effort into it though, since this will essentially be their new permanent home.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
01/29/10 Update

One permit on Friday, and it's for the installation of a new intercom system in the facades of Streets of America.

What's this about?

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
02/02/10 Update

7 new ones today. Also went back and added a few to 01/26 and 01/28 from Osceola County.

Today:

Mechanical work at the LBV Laundry Facility; elevator work at Kidani; electrical work at the SunTrust building at DtD; repairs to a Cart Path at LBV Golf Course; and misc work at WL.

Apparently they're gearing up to do some major work on Streets of America, with the "intercom" permit last week, and today one for replacing the Forced Perspective graphics. This may be old news, but new to me.

Also, they're getting ready to start the KUKA Rockin Robots exhibit at Innoventions too.

RSoxNo1

Could the work at Streets of America be prep work for an attraction behind the facades? Is there even enough room back there?

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Could the work at Streets of America be prep work for an attraction behind the facades? Is there even enough room back there?

Based on the 2 permits filed, it doesn't sound like it. They have referenced "New York Street" both times, but that's probably just because they use the original names for everything.

Two permits, filed a few days after each other, reference the installation of a new intercom system in the facades, and then new forced perspective graphics.

No idea what the intercom system is for, but it sounds like they might FINALLY be upgrading the original New York skyline.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
02/05/10 Update

Mostly permits filed by LBCC (Disney), so they're boring and nondescript (mostly addresses that I can't pinpoint).

A couple filed by 3rd parties, like pool repairs at OKW and a new roof at POFQ.

Also, I stumbled across 2 filed by DVC for exterior refurbs at SSR.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
02/09/10 Update

10 filed today - 5 of which are for HVAC work.

Work on three of the DC buildings (which I presume means Distribution Center). Electrical at DC-6, and HVAC at DC-2, both in the Admin Area. HVAC work at DC-1, behind the MK.

Electrical work at the Great Movie Ride EER Rooms. Anyone know what EER Rooms are?

There's been a lot of work at the Suntrust Building at DtD recently, with notices of HVAC and Electrical work filed today.

Slipknot

Electrical work at the Great Movie Ride EER Rooms. Anyone know what EER Rooms are?

The two doors on either side of the entrance to the courtyard next to the display cases. They basically have the power source for the neon lights and a little bit of storage room for the extended queue for GMR and the ropes and stuff for the viewing area for HSM.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
The two doors on either side of the entrance to the courtyard next to the display cases. They basically have the power source for the neon lights and a little bit of storage room for the extended queue for GMR and the ropes and stuff for the viewing area for HSM.

Thanks! That explains why the attached survey only outlines those wing walls. I was wondering about that.

Any idea what EER stands for, in this case? I'm guessing Electrical [something] Room.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Electrical Equipment Room. Any attraction not controlled by DACS has an EER to control audio, video, and the show.

But they also use the term/acronym generically for just about anything with electrical gear in it, it seems.

Thanks for the info.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Fantasyland Expansion Begins

It's officially official!

Today, February 22, 2010, Walt Disney Imagineering filed 8 Notices of Commencement with the Orange County Clerk for work related to the Fantasyland Expansion!

4 of the Notices relate to demolition of existing facilities (Electricians Trailer, Green Shed, AG, and SL).

The other 4 are for NEW things, such as Chateau #1 & Tunnel, Cottage #1, Restaurant, and Merchandise Shop.

Exprcoofto

I just started a new thread in the News and Rumors Board. Seemed most fitting, and most likely to receive more attention.

Exciting indeed!

Crap, I just started one in the Fantasyland Expansion area. Didn't know you were going to start one in News & Rumors. :eek: I'll ask someone to remove mine.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Crap, I just started one in the Fantasyland Expansion area. Didn't know you were going to start one in News & Rumors. :eek: I'll ask someone to remove mine.

I see how you are. The first time I've ever been able to contribute something useful and newsworthy to the boards, and you try to steal my lime-light! :lol:

J/K

I'm anxious to see what the future holds. It seems as though they WILL be filing NoC's for the FL work, even though these are technically new buildings. I guess by being work in an existing park, they still have to report it. Good news for us!

Exprcoofto

I see how you are. The first time I've ever been able to contribute something useful and newsworthy to the boards, and you try to steal my lime-light! :lol:

J/K

I'm anxious to see what the future holds. It seems as though they WILL be filing NoC's for the FL work, even though these are technically new buildings. I guess by being work in an existing park, they still have to report it. Good news for us!

Every post in this thread from you is newsworthy, it just depends on who you're talking to ;)

I'm glad they'll be filing so we'll be able to keep track of it. Snoopy fans (no, not the character)

:drevil:

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
02/23/10 Update

Not quite as exciting as yesterday, but 17 notices were filed today. About half of them were by BVCC (Disney), so they are vague and mostly just provides addresses.

However, there are two for MK that made me laugh out loud. They're both for work at the "Pigeon Coop" behind Fantasyland! :lol:

I can only hope this is some Disney slang for something else....otherwise I'm stumped. Why would the MK need a Pigeon Coop?

Anyway, they're tearing it down and putting a parking lot in its place - probably for construction workers.

trr1

Not quite as exciting as yesterday, but 17 notices were filed today. About half of them were by BVCC (Disney), so they are vague and mostly just provides addresses.

However, there are two for MK that made me laugh out loud. They're both for work at the "Pigeon Coop" behind Fantasyland! :lol:

I can only hope this is some Disney slang for something else....otherwise I'm stumped. Why would the MK need a Pigeon Coop?

Anyway, they're tearing it down and putting a parking lot in its place - probably for construction workers.
here is an article about pigeon release

Tuesday, 31 May 2005

Disney ends pigeon release program

By Todd Pack Orlando Sentinel staff writer

Call it the circle of life -- hungry hawks swooping in and devouring the pigeons released in a flourish at shows and weddings throughout Disney World.

The pigeons, used in shows such as Cinderella's Surprise Celebration at the Magic Kingdom and Beauty and the Beast at Disney-MGM Studios, became sitting ducks when red-tailed hawks figured out they could count on an easy meal at the same time every day.

But disturbed by the thought of sending the birds to almost certain death, Disney this week stopped releasing the homing pigeons -- ending a tradition that began about 30 years ago.

During the shows, the birds soared over the parks before returning to nearby roosts. It was during these flights that the defenseless birds were grabbed by the hawks' sharp talons, Disney spokeswoman Diane Ledder said.

It was only recently that the savvy hawks began snatching the birds, Ledder said. No visitors complained about seeing the midair attacks, she added.

Red-tailed hawks, with their wingspread of about 50 inches, thrive in the undisturbed wilderness around the Disney parks, said Geri Hylander, education and volunteer program coordinator at the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey in Maitland.

Hylander said the hawks aren't especially aggressive, but "they're opportunistic."

"When you release a group of birds like that," she said of Disney's pigeons, "it's an invitation to a meal."

Facing an enemy that large and determined, the comparatively frail pigeons, with their wingspreads of about 15 inches, didn't stand a chance. Disney wouldn't say how many birds were killed.

Red-tailed hawks, the largest found in Central Florida, are a protected species, meaning it's illegal to disturb them without the permission of state wildlife officials.

Disney didn't consider trying to move the hawks, Ledder said. "If you looked at trapping and relocating them, they'd probably be back."

So, this week, Disney officials decided "it wasn't fair to the pigeons to keep releasing them," Ledder said.

Disney is now trying to find homes for about 200 surviving pigeons. Ledder said it will reassign the five employees who had been in charge of the birds.

Red-tailed hawks typically eat smaller birds, snakes and rodents. No word on whether Mickey is in any danger

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom