WDW literally falling apart

lazyboy97o

I was making a general statement on some folks, who we all know participate in these forums, that tend to find excuses for the company for everything. The original excuse was that an ECV hit the wall resulting in the incident to occur causing cosmetic damage. After weeks of discussion, we realized it was a major issue after no significant changes were made, and the goalposts were moved from an ECV causing it and into some major structural issue that non-engineers won't understand.

I was trying to take a balanced POV by differing between the extremes of the situation being either a major or minor issue.

What is known is that's taken nearly a year now and there's no major sign of work.
The ECV hitting the wall was not an excuse. It is what happened.

The goalposts were never moved to it being a major structural issue. Thats never been a serious suggestion but a mischaracterization to dismiss other points. What makes it interesting is that it was first used as a defense of Disney and is now used as a criticism.

While it is good to try and look between extremes in the case of buildings it’s not necessarily useful in helping to make assumptions about scope of work. There isn’t a neat linear relationship where a minor issue will take a short time to fix, a major issue will take a long time to fix and something in the middle will then land somewhere in the middle.

There are simple cosmetic issues that can take a long time to resolve. Something that’s unique and custom is going to be harder to replace, especially if it’s years or decades after the fact. Or maybe it was attached in a way that doesn’t make it easy to just remove one small area and so you have to actually rip out and replace a lot more than just the area with the cosmetic issue.

Inversely, there could be something major that can be resolved quickly. Let’s say some construction equipment knocked into a monorail pylon and seriously damaged it. That’s a major structural issue but because you’re not really looking to change the design and it’s made of readily available materials that means it would be possible to get a solution implemented rather quickly.

Buildings are a lot more involved than people often assume. Things that seem complex can be easy and the mundane can be complex. Most people wouldn’t think that designing restrooms is difficult but they are and finding non-compliant ones is very easy.

Andrew25

Before my non-profit started a $20M building project two years ago, I also would have railed on how long this repair is taking.

Now that I have gone through two years of RFIs, RCOs, COs, OACs, mock-ups, supply chain issues, subs not showing up, circular finger pointing, minor issues that involve 7 trades, etc. … I have much more, let’s call it, “empathy” for these types of issues.

It's understandable for a smaller company/non-profit for it to take longer... not a major corporation that has years of experience and a plethora of resources at its disposal.

(Obviously a different situation) Carowinds has within days made it a priority to replace a broken support piece in a ridiculously short amount of time, with the mass global media breathing down their neck, and has already commenced testing. I just feel, and not just this issue, it's an overall trend of Disney's lack of effort/care inside their parks.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I would really like to know if these rotten boards have been replaced yet. They are right outside the men's restroom located next to the City Hall in MK. I know these boards had been obviously rotten for two years when I made this photo in 2022. My family is not going back to WDW this year or next, so if you are there take a look and let us know...
View attachment 731053
Taken tonight

IMG_0753.jpeg

JoeCamel

It's understandable for a smaller company/non-profit for it to take longer... not a major corporation that has years of experience and a plethora of resources at its disposal.

(Obviously a different situation) Carowinds has within days made it a priority to replace a broken support piece in a ridiculously short amount of time, with the mass global media breathing down their neck, and has already commenced testing. I just feel, and not just this issue, it's an overall trend of Disney's lack of effort/care inside their parks.
It probably isn't Carowinds driving this, sure they want it fixed ASAP but I suspect B&M started fabrication and assembled an installation team the minute the pictures hit the web. They want this to go away as quickly as possible and get to the root cause of the failure.

lazyboy97o

It probably isn't Carowinds driving this, sure they want it fixed ASAP but I suspect B&M started fabrication and assembled an installation team the minute the pictures hit the web. They want this to go away as quickly as possible and get to the root cause of the failure.
Coaster manufacturers don’t do installation, that’s handled by local contractors.

The columns on steel coasters are standard steel pipe. They’re something that in certain cases can even be procured from other steel fabricators since they are not something unique. They’re very close to being an “off the shelf” component. B&M’s fabricator in Ohio turns out steel tubes all the time and so getting a few extra pieces made is relatively easy for them.

Fury 325 is a good example of a serious problem (that wasn’t just a “crack” as it was often reported) with a relatively easy fix. The failure occurred at a faulty weld between two steel columns. Those columns are not part of a larger assembly of materials and components, they’re just steel and except for the one weld they are bolted into place.

And while they have reacted promptly after the fact, Carowinds has a lot to answer for and some serious changes that need to be made. There a pictures from at least a week prior to the break showing the crack. The effort it took to get the ride shut down was also unacceptable.

JoeCamel

Coaster manufacturers don’t do installation, that’s handled by local contractors.

The columns on steel coasters are standard steel pipe. They’re something that in certain cases can even be procured from other steel fabricators since they are not something unique. They’re very close to being an “off the shelf” component. B&M’s fabricator in Ohio turns out steel tubes all the time and so getting a few extra pieces made is relatively easy for them.

Fury 325 is a good example of a serious problem (that wasn’t just a “crack” as it was often reported) with a relatively easy fix. The failure occurred at a faulty weld between two steel columns. Those columns are not part of a larger assembly of materials and components, they’re just steel and except for the one weld they are bolted into place.

And while they have reacted promptly after the fact, Carowinds has a lot to answer for and some serious changes that need to be made. There a pictures from at least a week prior to the break showing the crack. The effort it took to get the ride shut down was also unacceptable.
Faulty weld or faulty engineering? With B&M's reputation for building beefy I think they are interested in finding out exactly what happened and why so it is never repeated. I would love to see the xray analysis

lazyboy97o

Faulty weld or faulty engineering? With B&M's reputation for building beefy I think they are interested in finding out exactly what happened and why so it is never repeated. I would love to see the xray analysis
If it was fault engineering and they’re trying to figure out what happened then I’d be concerned about B&M specifying a replacement so quickly. That implies they’re prescribing a fix without really knowing the cause.

The older photos show the break originating as a crack at the weld. I’m not sure they need to do any X-rays, the thing broke clear across and they can just look right inside.

Splash4eva

The ECV hitting the wall was not an excuse. It is what happened.

The goalposts were never moved to it being a major structural issue. Thats never been a serious suggestion but a mischaracterization to dismiss other points. What makes it interesting is that it was first used as a defense of Disney and is now used as a criticism.

While it is good to try and look between extremes in the case of buildings it’s not necessarily useful in helping to make assumptions about scope of work. There isn’t a neat linear relationship where a minor issue will take a short time to fix, a major issue will take a long time to fix and something in the middle will then land somewhere in the middle.

There are simple cosmetic issues that can take a long time to resolve. Something that’s unique and custom is going to be harder to replace, especially if it’s years or decades after the fact. Or maybe it was attached in a way that doesn’t make it easy to just remove one small area and so you have to actually rip out and replace a lot more than just the area with the cosmetic issue.

Inversely, there could be something major that can be resolved quickly. Let’s say some construction equipment knocked into a monorail pylon and seriously damaged it. That’s a major structural issue but because you’re not really looking to change the design and it’s made of readily available materials that means it would be possible to get a solution implemented rather quickly.

Buildings are a lot more involved than people often assume. Things that seem complex can be easy and the mundane can be complex. Most people wouldn’t think that designing restrooms is difficult but they are and finding non-compliant ones is very easy.
If this was needed to be fixed to sell a $20 ILL i would bet a boat load of money this would have been fixed about 8.5 months ago …. If not sooner.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I am not sure how discussing an un-repaired building on the main entry street of a major theme park has anything to do with being entitled... I guess I am entitled to my opinion, as you are to yours... No one is hysterical about it... Just wondering why it has not been resolved in the amount of time it would take to build an entire new building... Doesn't make me hysterical... or entitled...
I grew up in Florida going to WDW many many times a year... It is a place I am connected with, so, like anything you care about, I hate to see things slipping... but I am not hysterical about it...
Unabashed acceptance of everything WDW provides balance if you recognize it for what it is.

MagicRat

I believe the door is back open…no real repairs though just a bandaid. I guess the people in charge are still waiting on lead time items or still just can’t figure it out :).

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

The stock is back up to 85. It’s good to know the entertainment and media industrial complex is at work to prop up TWDC. There are a lot on institutional investors counting on it.

JoeCamel

I believe the door is back open…no real repairs though just a bandaid. I guess the people in charge are still waiting on lead time items or still just can’t figure it out :).
It's a plywood cutout without detail and poor colors of paint that looks like leftover construction walls.
They have to have a plan right? Wait until new fiscal year maybe?

Unbanshee

Disstevefan1

This is embarrassing.

Here is what I see happening at WDW. Offerings and maintenance are reduced at WDW while prices on everything continue to go up.

This results in less folks wanting to visit and spend money at WDW.

Then the company says they are seeing a declining market at WDW and will invest less there when it’s their own fault less folks want to go to WDW.

It seems like a planned thing.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom