WDW IT Layoffs 1/30/2015

PhotoDave219

I think it's different... that adage is about buying quality and doing things right the first time. What I'm talking about here is above that.. it's not about "buying quality brake pads vs cheap ones".. it would be like 'why having a reliable car is important to my life'. The idea that transportation isn't just a necessity - but an thought that having reliable, on-demand transportation may actually advance me and my career.

Companies that look at IT as just a 'necessity' because everyone else has this stuff will never see it as a way to advance themselves. Contrast with a organization that looks at IT as a way to better their product/organization. The former will ultimately drive the IT org into being mediocre and a burden they look to minimize... while the latter will make decisions based on best impact on improving the company as a whole through IT.

Expense vs Investment. Don't get lost in the absolute $$s.. you can throw money away easy enough. The concept is about how you approach and think about the asset.

The problem as I see it, be it an essential department like IT or anything else that adds value to a company, is that the people making the decisions themselves have no idea what that particular value to the company is. People being put into management roles knowing nothing but a balance sheet has zero idea what IT (or any other department) brings to the table and how that can be leveraged to improve the company as a whole. Rather they just see it as an expense to be whittled down.

IMO.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ergo the problem... They should step back and say "why do we have a call center in the first place?" . If they are doing it just because its expected of them.. and that's the best they can come up with they'll never do anything but the minimum. If they can't focus on how it makes the business better, and not make THAT the metric instead of 'necessary cost'... dollars will always win.

Yes exactly - 'Cargo Cult' management i.e. aping the forms but not understanding why the results are not as expected.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The problem as I see it, be it an essential department like IT or anything else that adds value to a company, is that the people making the decisions themselves have no idea what that particular value to the company is. People being put into management roles knowing nothing but a balance sheet has zero idea what IT (or any other department) brings to the table and how that can be leveraged to improve the company as a whole. Rather they just see it as an expense to be whittled down.

IMO.

And this is exactly why american business is in such trouble these days, We love to deride the 'MBA Mentality' in reality the MBA started out as a degree program to teach technical professionals the basics of business and finance after being promoted into a management role so they could effectively communicate with business and finance professionals.

We started going off the rails when the MBA was seen as a qualifier to RUN a business where in reality it just gives a veneer of finance and management theory.

Now American business is largely run by frat boys with an MBA, Compare that to their European and Asian peers who generally have degrees related to their business.

rob0519

IMO.

I worked in the corporate data center for a top 25 corporation for 20 years. One month the new CEO schedules a tour. He comes in and sees 25,000 sq. ft. of large, mostly silent boxes, lots of LED lights and after about 10 minutes looks at the Data Center Manager and says, "So, this is one of the biggest expense items in the company. What is it exactly you do that costs this much?" The Data Center Manager replies, something like, If you have to ask, I don't have a short explanation, but we can turn it all off for 24 hours and you'll get the picture.

I would like to think today's CEOs have a better handle on what runs their business. Unfortunately, IT is still looked at as an expense because while it drives the business units that create the profit, IT itself is an expense on the balance sheet.

EdC

I would like to think today's CEOs have a better handle on what runs their business. Unfortunately, IT is still looked at as an expense because while it drives the business units that create the profit, IT itself is an expense on the balance sheet.
We've always phrased it as what is the business or reputation cost if something stops working? How many days could the company operate without a competent IT staff. The answer has always been not very long.

Nubs70

For any IT minded looking for work, check into Switch. They just announced a $5B data center. Plus you will have the coolest office building

the.dreamfinder

From CNN
http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/24/news/companies/disney-workers-h1b-eeoc/index.html
Disney discriminated against US workers, complaint states

November 24

NEW YORK

More than two dozen American workers are poised to sue the Walt Disney Company, their former employer, claiming that they were discriminated against based on national origin.

At least 27 former Disney (DIS) IT employees filed Title VII discrimination complaints with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission after losing their jobs to overseas workers. The dismissed workers were employed at Disney facilities in Orlando, Florida.

Their replacements were brought over with H-1B visas, mostly from India, and former workers are citing their American citizenship and age as the basis for their dismissal.

The former Disney workers also had to train their replacements, prompting attorney Sara Blackwell to add allegations of hostile work conditions to the filing.

Disney did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The employees, who were terminated on January 30, have until Thursday to file complaints with the federal EEOC. Once complaints are filed, the EEOC will investigate and determine whether discrimination occurred.

The EEOC filings and subsequent investigation are the first steps before a lawsuit can be brought against Disney. Blackwell said she plans to file a class action suit, but said each employee can decide whether to file separately.

The EEOC can also file a suit of its own based on the results of its investigation.

Blackwell said Disney is one of several companies that have utilized H-1B and other work visas to replace American employees with foreign workers. Some of these companies also encourage employees to train their replacements. In the case of Disney, Blackwell said employees were offered bonuses as incentives to train the new workers.

Blackwell, who founded the organization Protect U.S. Workers, said the case isn't about immigration but rather discrimination.

She noted that the employees who are brought from overseas are subjected to harsh working conditions and are treated and paid poorly.

"The only beneficiaries are the corporations," Blackwell said.

Many of the former Disney employees are also filing complaints within Florida, saying that the state's anti-discrimination laws were violated. The deadline to file a state claim is January 30 of next year.

By Ahiza Garcia November 24, 2015 15:10PM EST

matt9112

Sorry, to dig this back up, but it's still making news, with this new video/ad has been posted.

im a globalist so i have no issue with foreign labor as a rule but up and replacing a bunch of employees overnight to cut costs is low....replacing workers with cheaper ones as positions become vacant is another story...

AdventureHasAName

Isn't that the case in every law suit? It's like saying "The Broncos defeated the Patriots yesterday, because they scored more points":p

Not always. Sometimes a lawsuit alleges something which is not a cause of action. The defendant comes in and files a motion for summary judgment essentially saying "Even if everything the Plaintiff alleges is true, there's no reason we weren't allowed to do what was alleged." The judge can dismiss a lawsuit if he agrees. Many employment lawsuits are dismissed because there is no dispute regarding the facts involved, but the court determines the behavior was not in violation of law.

In this instance, what the Plaintiff alleges is clearly a violation of federal law. I think Disney is in big trouble - not so much because of the money they would lose, but because of the negative publicity caused by the litigation, discovery process and being found liable in court. This could turn into a mess.

yedliW

Not always. Sometimes a lawsuit alleges something which is not a cause of action. The defendant comes in and files a motion for summary judgment essentially saying "Even if everything the Plaintiff alleges is true, there's no reason we weren't allowed to do what was alleged." The judge can dismiss a lawsuit if he agrees. Many employment lawsuits are dismissed because there is no dispute regarding the facts involved, but the court determines the behavior was not in violation of law.

In this instance, what the Plaintiff alleges is clearly a violation of federal law. I think Disney is in big trouble - not so much because of the money they would lose, but because of the negative publicity caused by the litigation, discovery process and being found liable in court. This could turn into a mess.

ok.. every legitimate, non-frivolous law suit.. (forgot there may be lawyers reading this post.. ;) )

willtravel

Do you think Disney will eventually just settle behind closed door's?

righttrack

I understand what a lot of you are saying. I'm in the middle of all of this in my role anyway. Look at it this way. What is WDW's mission? I'm going to make one up.

WDW's mission is to provide the best entertainment, lodging and theme park experience in the world at a cost most people can afford which will bring value to our stockholders.

OK. So where is IT in that? Well, that's not what they do. So they decide to get another company to do that, bring in Infosys, or Tata, IBM, Dell Services, somebody. This displaces a lot of people, but WDW focuses on it's mission. Does this save them money? Probably not. Sometimes it's more expensive to outsource. What it does is keep the employees focused on the mission. It's why a lot of companies do this. IT companies will handle IT while you focus on your primary business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom