News WDW Food and Beverage Price Increases 10/1/2019

ImperfectPixie

I understand that some do benefit from it because of it being convenient, but getting right down to the numbers, the hubs and I specifically come out at a loss.

We budget everything, and not just for vacations. It is a daily thing for us.
Depending on eating habits and if you can get free dining, the savings can be significant...but like I said, it's not worth it for everyone and the number of people who do make out with the plan seems to be lessening by the year. Historically, we've saved over paying out of pocket. However, now that one of our kids is being charged as an adult, that's not the case - unless we're able to get free dining, then we just pay the difference to upgrade. Convenience is definitely a factor in whether we decide to get a dining plan, but savings is always the #1 decision-driver for our family.

John park hopper

IMO Disney is catering to the the first or second time resort guest who sees "free dining" oh boy ---who do not take a good look at their eating habits. Granted if you are a big eater you may get your moneys worth. For me and the wife not so--- she is a light eater and I am a moderate eater ---many times she will just order an appetizer as her main dish

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

Depending on eating habits and if you can get free dining, the savings can be significant...but like I said, it's not worth it for everyone and the number of people who do make out with the plan seems to be lessening by the year. Historically, we've saved over paying out of pocket. However, now that one of our kids is being charged as an adult, that's not the case - unless we're able to get free dining, then we just pay the difference to upgrade. Convenience is definitely a factor in whether we decide to get a dining plan, but savings is always the #1 decision-driver for our family.
Yeah, and we are currently only "Value" staying people (at times that is too expensive in itself) if you get my drift.

ImperfectPixie

IMO Disney is catering to the the first or second time resort guest who sees "free dining" who do not take a good look at their eating habits. Granted if you are a big eater you may get your moneys worth. For me and the wife not so--- she is a light eater and I am a moderate eater ---man times she will just order an appetizer as her main dish
Oh, they're absolutely betting on those who don't do the math and buy the plan just because it's there, lol.

ToTBellHop

Us too.. I don't know how people can justify more than $250 a night on a hotel room... in my head, I have a hard time justifying over $150~
For us, we upgraded from an affordable Pop stay at $220/night (!) to an exorbitant POFQ for $255/night because we think the resort is prettier, has a better pool with slide, splash pad, and, biggest for me, is smaller with better busing and a boat to Disney Springs. The calculus differs for everyone but for us, those improvements were worth $35/night. We are going Christmas week so I was very concerned about Pop buses.

BoardWalk for $655/night was a non-starter. I like BoardWalk, but that rate is insane.

Lilofan

For us, we upgraded from an affordable Pop stay at $220/night (!) to an exorbitant POFQ for $255/night because we think the resort is prettier, has a better pool with slide, splash pad, and, biggest for me, is smaller with better busing and a boat to Disney Springs. The calculus differs for everyone but for us, those improvements were worth $35/night. We are going Christmas week so I was very concerned about Pop buses.

BoardWalk for $655/night was a non-starter. I like BoardWalk, but that rate is insane.
These prices to sleep for a few hours a night in a hotel room are bananas. The next best friend of a family going to WDW is their neighborhood loan officer.

ImperfectPixie

Us too.. I don't know how people can justify more than $250 a night on a hotel room... in my head, I have a hard time justifying over $150~
MAYBE...if there's a special occasion and we happen to have some extra dough. But even then...All Star Movies will always be special to us regardless of it's "value" status simply because it's the first place we stayed as a family with our boys, and they adore it. For them, it doesn't feel Disney without the over-the-top stuff. (The only reason they love CBR is the pool...they couldn't care less about the resort itself.)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I.E. My husband almost always orders the most expensive thing on the menu, so we usually get our moneys worth because of that. We are not light eaters.. I can see how someone who typically is a small eater or shares meals might not be good use of the dining plan.
Ok...I see

The problem is that the prices of near all menu items has doubled since the advent of the DPP. To justify the price increases of the plan AND to hit those not on it (upfront money...which all Wall Street loves) with higher prices.

They’re having their cheesecake and eating it too.

Those $48 steaks were $26 circa 2004 (they are not of that quality)

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Exactly...people need to cut spending and hammer them on the sites with PR. also known as: CAPITALISM

This is what I’ve heard though my limited remaining contacts. They’re not budging

DougK

To all of you who are saying you saved so much money due to "free" dining please make sure to remember when you do the math to factor in the fact that you are paying rack rate for your hotel room in order to get that "free" dining plan. During much of the year Disney offers 15%-35% off of the rack rates but you have to pay the full rack rate in order to get the "free" dining. If you factor that in and your family still comes out ahead then congratulations, but for us it simply does not add up.

n2hifi

During much of the year Disney offers 15%-35% off of the rack rates but you have to pay the full rack rate in order to get the "free" dining. If you factor that in and your family still comes out ahead then congratulations, but for us it simply does not add up.

I think that may be the difference people are experiencing. I see value in 'free' dining when I add up the numbers, but it is no where near what I save with the discount off of rack rates at a deluxe resort. That may not be the case for those staying at a value resort.

Sonconato

eh, I don't need to see Sea World's "side". But hey, at least all their orcas will be dead in 10-20 years and no longer suffering! wonder how deep their discounts will be then 😉.

On Topic... I was so pleasantly surprised by the affordable prices for food & bev at the Tokyo resorts. Actually made me want to try a bunch of snacks. I don't get why people waste their money on garbage food here at the parks in the states... I'd rather save the money for a nice table service restaurant. which is what we always did visiting growing up. We never ate snacks, but always went to one of the nicer TS spots for dinner. better value IMO...
As I said before, I did my research and so should you. It's also ironic that you mention whales and Japan in the same reply. And I'll leave it at that.

Incomudro

eh, I don't need to see Sea World's "side". But hey, at least all their orcas will be dead in 10-20 years and no longer suffering! wonder how deep their discounts will be then 😉.

On Topic... I was so pleasantly surprised by the affordable prices for food & bev at the Tokyo resorts. Actually made me want to try a bunch of snacks. I don't get why people waste their money on garbage food here at the parks in the states... I'd rather save the money for a nice table service restaurant. which is what we always did visiting growing up. We never ate snacks, but always went to one of the nicer TS spots for dinner. better value IMO...

The Orca's are suffering?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom