WDW Book Suggestions

TxStateMouse

Original Poster
Good Morning All,

I am wanting to buy a really good WDW book. I am looking for more history of WDW rather than trip planning. Does anyone have any suggestions? I like the nostalgia of Disney, old pictures, ideas behind the attractions, etc. What are some of your favorites? I'm sure you Disney buffs have some insight for me! Thanks in advance.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Specifically for older attractions look for WDW - Then, Now and Forever and Since the World Began - WDW the first 25 years. The field guides are okay but don`t offer much historical detail.

Or take your pick:

Project Florida, Walt DIsney Productions 1967. Not commercially available
Master Planning for Walt DIsney World, Walt Disney Productions 1969. Not commercially available
Preview Edition Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Productions 1970
Pictorial Souvineer of Walt Disney World 1972
Pictorial Souvineer of Walt Disney World 1972 2nd ed
Walt Disney World a pictorial souvineer 1983 WDP
The Story of Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Productions 1976 2-76-3
Walt Disney World: The first decade 1981
Walt Disney World EPCOT Center, Walt Disney Productions 1982
Walt Disney Worlds`s EPCOT Center - Creating the new world of tomorrow 1982 0 8109 0819 0 1st ed
A pictorial souvineer of Walt Disney World 1989 Disney 0127 100005 1189
Walt Disney World 1989 Disney w0127 10003 989
Walt Disney World 20 magical years Disney w0127 10003 1190
Walt Disney World 1994
Since the World Began 1996 07868 8219 0 (pb) 6248 3 (hb)
Building a Dream - The Art of Disney Architecture 1996 0 8109 3142 7
Walt Disney Imagineering 1996 0 7868 6246 7
Designing Disneys Theme Parks - The architecture of reassurance 1997 2 08013 639 9
Walt Disney World, a souvineer for the new Millenium 1999 0 7868 5406 5
What would Walt do? An insiders story about the design and construction of WDW 2001 0 595 17203 2
Disney the ultimate visual guide 2002 0 7513 3913 x
Designing Disney (John Hench) 2003 07868 5406 5
The Haunted Mansion 2003 07868 5419 7
Pirates of the Caribbean 0-7868-5630-0
Roller Coasters, Flumes and Flying Saucers 0-9657353-5-4
The Disneylands that never were www.lulu.com 2006
The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom 0-7868-5553-3
The Imagineering Field Guide to Epcot 0-7868-4886-3
Vinyl Leaves 0-8122-1472-0
The Making of Disneys Animal Kingdom Theme Park 1998 0 7868 6402 8
Inside Disney 2002 0 7645 6443 9 2nd ed

wvdisneyfamily

Try the Imagineer's Field Guides to the parks. I know of two very good books that are old. You'll have to get them on e-bay or on the Amazon Market Place. Since the World Began and EPCOT Center are their names.

VT GAL

Okay...I should learn how to read...It is Designing Disney and it is on the list...sorry!

But it is an amazing look at how every decision (especially when it came to paint colors) was weighed, reasoned, and decided.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
The John Hench book is called "Designing Disney: Imagineering and the Art of the Show." Great read.

Here's my list (still being uploaded at the moment. :lookaroun)... http://www.librarything.com/catalog/brkgnews

Holy crap that is a lot of Disney/World's Fair books Jackie. :eek: :lol:
I recommend a good place to start for a historical WDW book is Disney World: Then, Now, and Forever. It is my most recent purchase and I found it to be a pretty good read. It has lots and lots of great pictures as well. The catch with this book, is that it is only available in the parks....but I guess that is why eBay was invented! :lol:

Kamikaze

Holy crap that is a lot of Disney/World's Fair books Jackie. :eek: :lol:
I recommend a good place to start for a historical WDW book is Disney World: Then, Now, and Forever. It is my most recent purchase and I found it to be a pretty good read. It has lots and lots of great pictures as well. The catch with this book, is that it is only available in the parks....but I guess that is why eBay was invented! :lol:

You can get anything in the parks by emailing mail order.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
You can get anything in the parks by emailing mail order.

That is true. However, I vaguely recall someone here trying to order that particular book and not being able to. :shrug: Not sure though. I can't remember clearly and I don't have the time to go searching right now.

brkgnews

That is true. However, I vaguely recall someone here trying to order that particular book and not being able to. :shrug: Not sure though. I can't remember clearly and I don't have the time to go searching right now.
It may have been out of stock... You'll recall they released it during World Wide Weekend... I discovered it in Mouse Gear, came out to the group and had a fanboi moment, resulting in a few purchases. :lookaroun

And yeah... that's a lot of books. :eek: I'm still uploading. :lookaroun

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
It may have been out of stock... You'll recall they released it during World Wide Weekend... I discovered it in Mouse Gear, came out to the group and had a fanboi moment, resulting in a few purchases. :lookaroun

And yeah... that's a lot of books. :eek: I'm still uploading. :lookaroun

Yea, I don't quite remember the circumstances of the mail order incident. For all I know I could be getting it completely mixed up with something totally unrelated. :shrug: I wouldn't put it past me. I got mine during WWW and was bouncing off the walls with excitement until I could sit and spend quality time with it. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom