WDW Awakens ...

Amused to Death

Virtual races are coming to runDisney, from what I hear.

Hold "B" to run?

Am I the only one who sees runDisney as the new pin business? People are entering these races to collect medallions in the same way they used to collect pins. Hold "B" to run is a terrific idea. Imagine all of the additional medallions they can sell to people who can't be bothered to "run" a 16-minute mile. ;)

evilzorac

I know this isn't the frozenstrom thread but just had to post this pic from twitter (EPCOT Explorer), for me it is a perfect snapshot of what is wrong at WDW.
Cgaxg2bWsAA1n46.jpg

peter11435

I'm reminded of some DVC owners who think their lodging is free. Of course you're paying to ride Soarin'. If you elect to spend your entire day in World Showcase, drinking around the world, and the only ride you happen to stumble on during the day is Soarin', it could be argued that your paid $108.63 to ride it. That, or your bar has a $100 cover charge and a poor beer selection. ;)
Clearly you've completely missed the point. But that's ok.

I'm well aware that riding soarin' is not free.

tribbleorlfl

Hold "B" to run?
Am I the only one who sees runDisney as the new pin business? People are entering these races to collect medallions in the same way they used to collect pins. Hold "B" to run is a terrific idea. Imagine all of the additional medallions they can sell to people who can't be bothered to "run" a 16-minute mile. ;)
I cant even...
I would assume it's going to be like the Virtual Races my wife and I have been doing through Make Yes Happen. You log your fitness activity from your device (phone, fit bit, etc) at whatever interval the particular event requires (mostly daily results), and as long as you meet the aggregate requirements in the allotted time period, you get the reward (medal or tshirt).

Scoff at the concept and crack all the jokes you want, but this platform is a great way to encourage physical activity and work toward goals in those who might otherwise not be inclined or discouraged, or don't have the time to train extensively and travel to various races. I can be active and participate on my own time, at my own pace, without some smug elitist looking down on me because I can't run a 16 minute mile.

I just participated in my first-ever running event this past weekend with the Dark Side 5k. I would never have done that in the past, but the Virtual Races have gotten my motivation up to the point where I wanted to tackle it. I'm still early on in my weight loss and fitness journey, but now I want to seriously train for next year, maybe even tackle the 10k.

Please tell me how this is worth being mocked?

CaptainAmerica

But DL is ... well, like a sacred shrine of sorts ... certainly a historically significant place and while it shouldn't be left like a museum (love that discussion), desecrating it with wookies and lightsabers and BB-8 is really too much. So, so wrong.
I don't know about that. Star Wars is at least as culturally and historically significant as, say, Beauty and the Beast. I'm much more concerned that it simply doesn't fit in Tomorrowland than it being somehow intellectually beneath the dignity of Disneyland.

I'll put it this way. If Walt had named it "Outer Space Land" in 1955, I'd have no problems with a big Star Wars presence.

asianway

I would assume it's going to be like the Virtual Races my wife and I have been doing through Make Yes Happen. You log your fitness activity from your device (phone, fit bit, etc) at whatever interval the particular event requires (mostly daily results), and as long as you meet the aggregate requirements in the allotted time period, you get the reward (medal or tshirt).

Scoff at the concept and crack all the jokes you want, but this platform is a great way to encourage physical activity and work toward goals in those who might otherwise not be inclined or discouraged, or don't have the time to train extensively and travel to various races. I can be active and participate on my own time, at my own pace, without some smug elitist looking down on me because I can't run a 16 minute mile.

I just participated in my first-ever running event this past weekend with the Dark Side 5k. I would never have done that in the past, but the Virtual Races have gotten my motivation up to the point where I wanted to tackle it. I'm still early on in my weight loss and fitness journey, but now I want to seriously train for next year, maybe even tackle the 10k.

Please tell me how this is worth being mocked?
Because as with all things Disney, the runDisney races are priced at a premium - the premium being justified by the ability to run through the parks and the on course entertainment. How you get that premium on a virtual race is beyond me.

PS: you should have seen the races 5 years ago - the on course entertainment has seen a LOT of cuts over the years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom