WDW Awakens ...

Amused to Death

Watching tv at home eating chips is also entertaining. I don't get what you're saying.

You don't understand that Mall of America is a destination for some? That trips have been planned around it? Or that there are people in this world who have no interest in visiting Disney Parks? Including, believe it or not, many of the people who work inside of them?

We all have different ideas of what entertainment is... and what we're willing to pay for it.

PhotoDave219

I have a media friend that's there and helping us ask questions. This person has asked a couple of specific operations questions, such as opening time of day (9 AM or 11 AM?) and stuff around FP+ support. The handler didn't know, and seemed surprised that someone asked. As in "Your job is to sell the 'what' to your viewers. We'll provide the 'how' details later."

Also was told that scenes 1 and 2 of RoL aren't working. They're getting a preview of scenes 3 and 4 tonight, IIRC.

I would always love it when PR people would try to tell me what my job was to show the readers.

Questions we get exponentially harder as tours like that would go on…

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'll let @ThemeParkJunkee and @ford91exploder speak for themselves, but I would imagine the comparison is being made on the basis that a day in a Disney Park and a day at Mall of America both represent a day's entertainment.

Riding Dumbo is not the only form of entertainment.

Yes exactly,

My other point is more and more the focus of WDW is dining and retail instead of attractions. Now every square foot of WDW park real estate is analyzed on a retail basis so that's another reason I call the WDW parks 'Malls with a cover charge' plus the installation of Chappie who is a retail guy and just as I feared he when was hired, Chappie has become Paul Pressler 2.0 he of 'The only moving part in a Disney Park should be a cash register drawer' I believe that was Pressler's OWN statement.

BrianLo

Yeah, I haven't fought the cause in a few months. I pretty much stopped going over there after they created a new SWL thread that made discussion of opinions on the land forbidden.

The nerve of that guy creating a focused construction thread meant for construction discussion. :p

I still curse @wdwmagic to this day that he won't let me share my unsolicited opinions on Avatar in every thread in existence.

/sarcasm

raymusiccity

A large bucket of popcorn is $8 at WDW, and a 12-oz refillable mug is $17.99. The prices aren't too far removed from a movie theater or stadium.
Exactly. I can understand the prices at a theme park, but, where's the justification for a movie theater, or, even worse, a ball park? At least all of the other venues weren't built with taxpayer's money!

ThemeParkJunkee

Okay, to explain my comments. My post was specifically about Disney Springs but also reflects the fact that WDW needs to offer a lot in the way of entertainment value for me to sacrifice my one 16 day vacation per year and thousands of dollars to go to Orlando. I feel that my driving trip out west and an overnight stay at MoA will be cheaper and provide an equal entertainment value for me. I can ride a ride or two or three, visit the aquarium, check out the Lego Store, dine at a nice restaurant, snack at a multitude of venues and stay in a deluxe hotel. Then we'll hit the road for two weeks of National Park touring and a wedding in Sebastopol CA. I just think it's nice that if I get the bug to ride an inspiring "theme park style" ride, I don't have to fork out thousands of dollars.

Showcasing Disney Springs and touting its offerings and theme does nothing for me to build excitement or inspire me to head to the swamps this year and even in 2018, I doubt I'll be inspired to do more than eat dinner. Nor will breathless accounts of how magical Frozen will be inspire me to crack open my checkbook at this point.

zooey

You don't understand that Mall of America is a destination for some? That trips have been planned around it? Or that there are people in this world who have no interest in visiting Disney Parks? Including, believe it or not, many of the people who work inside of them?

We all have different ideas of what entertainment is... and what we're willing to pay for it.
Oh yes, of course I understand that. Everyone enjoys different stuff, but that's why I would personally say that if you enjoy WDW but you're going to the MOA instead to balance expectations because they're totally opposite. But I'm not saying you can't have an entertaining day there, just a different kind.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I agree with Tom. TDR is more affordable than most people think if they are used to WDW. The only side effect is that you may not want to visit WDW anymore after seeing what Tokyo has to offer.

and people get freaked out by visiting a country where not everyone speaks english, and they'd probably faint once they look at the subway map.

As much as I love singing the praises of TDR, I also kinda like to keep it as a secret.

FigmentJedi

Watching tv at home eating chips is also entertaining. I don't get what you're saying.

Yeah, Mall of America is home to an ex-Knotts park, an aquarium, minigolf, a ropes and zipline course, and its own clone of Soarin' in addition to all the shopping and dining, with their big plans to expand including a waterpark amongst various new offerings

There's plenty to do in a single day there under one roof.

Okay, to explain my comments. My post was specifically about Disney Springs but also reflects the fact that WDW needs to offer a lot in the way of entertainment value for me to sacrifice my one 16 day vacation per year and thousands of dollars to go to Orlando. I feel that my driving trip out west and an overnight stay at MoA will be cheaper and provide an equal entertainment value for me. I can ride a ride or two or three, visit the aquarium, check out the Lego Store, dine at a nice restaurant, snack at a multitude of venues and stay in a deluxe hotel.
It's also very close to the excellent Minnesota Zoo.

zooey

Yeah, Mall of America is home to an ex-Knotts park, an aquarium, minigolf, a ropes and zipline course, and its own clone of Soarin' in addition to all the shopping and dining, with their big plans to expand including a waterpark amongst various new offerings

There's plenty to do in a single day there under one roof.

It's also very close to the excellent Minnesota Zoo.
I think the takeaway is that there are many fun and exciting things to do in the world besides a Disney theme park.

BubbaQuest

I find it ironic WDW fans get it, but not the DLR fans. Blows my mind.

I think distance makes managing the addiction easier :) It seems like my friends that still have DL APs are so addicted they can't go more than a week without visiting the park and buying some DL merchandise, even if it's just a Starbucks coffee they could have purchased outside the park.

I have a feeling they would be fine if Disney replaced the castle with a Walmart as long as it sells plushies and they can still feel 'exclusive' because they own a AP.

Too harsh?

180º

Would you PLEASE post this somewhere in the Disneyland forum? Anywhere, you could post this in the DLR Picture of the Day thread. They just don't get it over there, I feel like I'm talking to a wall. The only one who understands is @Endor Sightseer.
This. I don't post over there a lot, but I do read that forum. I don't know what it is about the Disneyland crowd.

jlsHouston

So, River of Light may not open this summer? What's up with that?

Yah where is the thread for this because I am bringing my friend out from CA for my June trip and she is texting me all excited we can see this at DAK and I just told her no I heard it was back to the drawing board. She's claiming it's on the news that it is starting in June

Amused to Death

Yes I have to pay to get into Epcot, but then I don't have to pay $17.00 to ride soarin'

I'm reminded of some DVC owners who think their lodging is free. Of course you're paying to ride Soarin'. If you elect to spend your entire day in World Showcase, drinking around the world, and the only ride you happen to stumble on during the day is Soarin', it could be argued that you paid $108.63 to ride it. That, or your bar has a $100 cover charge and a poor beer selection. ;)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom