WDW Awakens ...

krikiter

George K doesnt deal with Cruise at all. DCL and DVC both roll up to Karl Holz, and I know they share some services with ABD as part of "new vacation experiences".

I'm aware. Most of my email was related specifically to WDW and the ongoing price increases and guest experience degradation there. I copied Chapek because of the DCL rate increases and because my totally unsupported and unqualified guess that he's the one leaning on George K to reduce costs and find new revenue. For some reason, I get the feeling that Chapek is one of those guys who just DGAF what the customer thinks.

PhotoDave219

I'm not defending "those people" or arguing that they're not present at an event like this. I'm just saying that Disney doesn't design these events specifically for those people. Disney designs it for the radio stations and other legit marketing avenues, they just have an overly broad door of who gets in. Then it's abused.

Hey i gotta run to lowes, but there was a person who actually created this social media monster. Got fired as a result, too.

Yes, these events are not created for them but they are catered to nonetheless.

Every Disney event I covered (with the exception of the Super Bowl MVP), i got in on my own dime and took nothing special.

My issue here is ethics..... but none of this is new terrirtoy

Disneyhead'71

Hey i gotta run to lowes, but there was a person who actually created this social media monster. Got fired as a result, too.

Yes, these events are not created for them but they are catered to nonetheless.

Every Disney event I covered (with the exception of the Super Bowl MVP), i got in on my own dime and took nothing special.

My issue here is ethics..... but none of this is new terrirtoy
Sooooo, you're expecting professional ethics and unbiased reporting from the owners of fan sites? Like that'll ever happen. They are addicted to the dust, and would NEVER, EVER screw over their dealer.

stretchsje

BTW, have been away from the parks world for much of 2016, but word I've heard is that Georgie K and Co are quite happy that most of this stuff won't likely debut until the July 1st timeframe as it will save tremendous costs on the bottom line, which will make the (doodie) show that is Shanghai look so much nicer.
This theory was discussed in the Rivers of Light thread, but I find it hard to believe.

If you've already sunk significant costs into development, why not run the comparatively minor costs of operations to see some return on investment? If not, what was the point of R&D at all?

I can come up with some theories but none of them are good.

PhotoDave219

This theory was discussed in the Rivers of Light thread, but I find it hard to believe.

If you've already sunk significant costs into development, why not run the comparatively minor costs of operations to see some return on investment? If not, what was the point of R&D at all?

I can come up with some theories but none of them are good.

Delays costs until the next quarter. Accounting BS

asianway

I was skimming this a bit earlier and the one thing I noticed was ... a distinct lack of news.

What is going on? There must be breathless tweets about the latest cupcake parties or appearances by rare foamheads, right?
They don't usually get the rares-that was Pow-wow

WDW1974

Original Poster
I guess they would normally do the media event a few months before the summer season to "sell" the parks to visitors planing summer trips. So doing a media preview of shows that won't be ready until July is fine, as long as they are clear about when things will open.
However most people I would think are booking WDW holidays at least six months out, so does a media event two months before the shows start really influence anyone to travel to WDW? I booked almost year ago for this september (so booked 17 months before the trip) and the UK free dining offer for 2017 bookings opens on Thursday so there will be loads more people booking for next year right now.

I have been to quite a few of these events, back when they meant something. I think my first was the 1990 one where Studios expansion (Muppets' first show, Star Tours), WDW Dolphin opening (one helluva party!) and Birthdayland becoming Starland were showcased. Everything was open and ready ... Disney uses these to introduce media to the new offerings. You can't do that when nothing is open. And you can't announce things like Pandora or Toy Story Land that have been known about for years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom