WDW Awakens ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Where oh where did Disney's PR and marketing wizs come up with that? Oh yeah ... sorta like when they discovered Frozen a year after it became the highest grossing animation feature of all time.

Yes, the Awakenings deal came from the mediocre Star Wars: The Force Awakens and They Won't Ever Let You Forget It film. (Ssshhh ... you do all know Darth Vader is supposed to be in Rogue One Civil Infinity Jungle Book Wars 2, right?)

Well, today is supposedly the start of a three day WDW whorefest ... I mean ... media showcase for real reporters ... OK, can't do that with a straight or even a bi-curious face. Nope, it is designed for social media 'influencers' (why is the EPCOT Explorer not invited? The boy has 17,000 Twitter followers ... and I'll bet a few thousand are likely real human beings).

The event was meant to showcase all the new things -- hey, stop snickering ... compared to almost any year since Robert A. Iger took over TWDC -- melding the company in his bland as white bread image -- Disney actually does have new product going into its parks in the swamps this year and a good 15% of it actually doesn't replace anything that existed before.

The problem is Disney is spending millions of dollars to showcase things that are not ready for primetime (or anytime that isn't after Shanghai DL opens and the new fiscal quarter begins) so they will have all these fine folks, staying for free, dining for free, boozing for free, coming back to their rooms to find swag bags on their beds, obviously, for free with the following new summer 2016 offerings:

RoL;
ToL show;
Night safari experience;

New Star Wars pyro and projection show;

Frozenstrom;
Soarin Over The World;

MK stage show;

None of these things are ready or open, so it will be interesting to see what happens. RoL apparently can be run in sort of a manual mode for, perhaps, a piece of a show. And it may be possible that one Soarin theater could show a preview of the new film. I am reasonably sure Disney can do the new SW show (has it started for real yet? I have had to take leave of the fan community goings on of late and may have missed its debut.) for a private party. And they likely could do much of the new MK show in a Contemporary ballroom.

But still this is a first. I have never seen WDW stage one of these pricey, huge whorefests with none of the products it is touting ready to roll. Should be an interesting few days, which is why I started this thread.

Please put any/all 'news' that comes out of Awakenings right here, so I ... I mean ... we can mock them appropriately or cheer Iger and Chappie on for the remarkable way they have systematically -- and with intent -- made WDW even worse than it was a decade ago.

That wasn't easy, but they sure have done a bang up job. And let's not forget the roles played by the "puckish gladhander" or "the oddly waifish man of anemic personality" and their roles in this trash pile as we move forward. And remember, this is a slow year for the competition. UNI is only opening one E-Ticket new attraction (not replacing anything, but empty land) and a new resort hotel and SW is only opening what will be the top coaster in O-Town.

This should be entertaining ... or I could just keep looking at that cute 'wittle Dakota boi who keeps putting up every Shanghai pic he can find on the Tweeter almost like he was gunning for a job as ... as ... as a Disney exec's boy on the side!

Nah, WDW is the best, the boss, the flagship ... let's hear about how Disney is going to blow ... our socks off (hopefully, mostly of those UKers who wear them with sandals and look ridiculous, right @marni1971?)

Let's have some news as WDW ... Awakens.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Marketing hits a new low.

Its complete Style over Substance. Ugh.

Honestly, with cuts so deep due to massive bleeding in Shanghai, coupled with NGE not coming close to delivering ANY sort of real uptick in revenue, coupled with attendance falling greatly -- no, I don't care that you waited 55 minutes to ride Big Thunder last night at 7:15 or that the line for Casey's was out the door, the reality is Spring Break was slow, blockouts for FL resident tix and CMs were lifted and hotels were available all over (on and off property)-- I am actually very surprised Disney didn't bag the event. They could have saved millions of dollars when they are counting fractions of pennies ... and the 'influencers' will still tell their flocks to go, enjoy $69 cupcake parties with Yoda on them, have $149 EMHs with free bottles of Coke and Mickey bars, have $249 breakfast at Boma, so why not cancel the event?

BTW, have been away from the parks world for much of 2016, but word I've heard is that Georgie K and Co are quite happy that most of this stuff won't likely debut until the July 1st timeframe as it will save tremendous costs on the bottom line, which will make the (doodie) show that is Shanghai look so much nicer.

FigmentForver96

Honestly, with cuts so deep due to massive bleeding in Shanghai, coupled with NGE not coming close to delivering ANY sort of real uptick in revenue, coupled with attendance falling greatly -- no, I don't care that you waited 55 minutes to ride Big Thunder last night at 7:15 or that the line for Casey's was out the door, the reality is Spring Break was slow, blockouts for FL resident tix and CMs were lifted and hotels were available all over (on and off property)-- I am actually very surprised Disney didn't bag the event. They could have saved millions of dollars when they are counting fractions of pennies ... and the 'influencers' will still tell their flocks to go, enjoy $69 cupcake parties with Yoda on them, have $149 EMHs with free bottles of Coke and Mickey bars, have $249 breakfast at Boma, so why not cancel the event?

BTW, have been away from the parks world for much of 2016, but word I've heard is that Georgie K and Co are quite happy that most of this stuff won't likely debut until the July 1st timeframe as it will save tremendous costs on the bottom line, which will make the (doodie) show that is Shanghai look so much nicer.
I do not understand for the life of me why they would want to wait until July 1st. If that's the case, I would just wait until after the major holiday. It is going to be a disaster if anything goes wrong.

Longhairbear

As DVC members with our home base being Wilderness, we are caring less and less of WDW. We haven't been in over 6 years, and have no reason to go, and there seems to be no reason to go in the future. WDW is offering nothing for us, other than higher prices. We live only a few hours from Disneyland, and gladly use our DVC points for accommodations at any of the 3 hotels, and villas. Yes, we are aware that we are using points that could be used more economically, but we are driving in, not paying airfare to FLA.

Jon81uk

I guess they would normally do the media event a few months before the summer season to "sell" the parks to visitors planing summer trips. So doing a media preview of shows that won't be ready until July is fine, as long as they are clear about when things will open.
However most people I would think are booking WDW holidays at least six months out, so does a media event two months before the shows start really influence anyone to travel to WDW? I booked almost year ago for this september (so booked 17 months before the trip) and the UK free dining offer for 2017 bookings opens on Thursday so there will be loads more people booking for next year right now.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I guess they would normally do the media event a few months before the summer season to "sell" the parks to visitors planing summer trips. So doing a media preview of shows that won't be ready until July is fine, as long as they are clear about when things will open.
However most people I would think are booking WDW holidays at least six months out, so does a media event two months before the shows start really influence anyone to travel to WDW? I booked almost year ago for this september (so booked 17 months before the trip) and the UK free dining offer for 2017 bookings opens on Thursday so there will be loads more people booking for next year right now.

based on some of the delays... I wouldn't be surprised if they just say "coming this summer" for most of this.... but then that'll have those that book and visit in june upset when there is nothing new

hpyhnt 1000

Will admit the "Disney Awakens" ad that played before The Jungle Book (pretty good, I might add - the visuals are top notch) could ALMOST make one want to visit WDW. But once I remembered that this basically revolves around a shoehorned Frozen ride that's 2 years too late and a few nighttime shows (one of which is quite delayed), that quelled any travel plans I might have had.

Still, for anyone not intimately aware of what's been happening at Walt Dated World, it looked like a lot was going on!
(Usual nit pick - the ad repeatedly references "Walt Disney World" but then at the end of all the previews you hear "Disney Parks." Why would you say "Disney Parks" when you just talked about WDW??? Enough with this stupid nonsense! Walt Disney World; Disneyland - 2 completely different places. Stop lumping them together!)

@WDW1974 - is this "Awakens" marketing campaign for WDW only or does Disneyland have something similar going (though they're on the tail end of their 60th, aren't they?)?

mikeh

I am reasonably sure Disney can do the new SW show (has it started for real yet? I have had to take leave of the fan community goings on of late and may have missed its debut.) for a private party.

I don't think they could, just yet. The new launch point isn't completed yet, but launching from the existing site might work? Also, one of the two structures that will house the projectors just went vertical yesterday.

https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/721649718388985856

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
They set themselves up for failure. It is getting ridiculous. Not only are they walking a tightrope with the budget and bottom line numbers, they decide to continually advertise attractions and shows that are not ready. They cant even properly photoshop a picture of the SW construction site in DL.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Visit Soarin' Over Pgh's summer home this year!!!! Book your vacations now! Limited seating! Only $249 per night! $149 brekkie with Soarin' at signature diner!

*Summer home not guaranteed
*dates not guaranteed
*summer not guaranteed
*breakfast may or may not be coffee only
*diner event subject to availability, attitude and hangover status
*home is questionable if she doesn't stop posting while at work

This is different from what Disney is doing, how?

Last edited:

krikiter

As DVC members with our home base being Wilderness, we are caring less and less of WDW. We haven't been in over 6 years, and have no reason to go, and there seems to be no reason to go in the future. WDW is offering nothing for us, other than higher prices. We live only a few hours from Disneyland, and gladly use our DVC points for accommodations at any of the 3 hotels, and villas. Yes, we are aware that we are using points that could be used more economically, but we are driving in, not paying airfare to FLA.

We're to that point as well, except we don't have DLR to fall back on. The DCL rates for summer 2017 were released last week, and the exact same cruise went up over 25% year over year ($6900 to $8700). I finally heeded Spirit's exhortation to write an email to voice my concerns and got a phone call back from the DVC executive offices. Which is funny because I sent the email to Chapek and Kalogridis and did not mention that I was a DVC member, nor did I include my phone #. I think I was basically handed off for someone else to 'deal with'.

I'm done with WDW for the forseeable future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom