WDW Awakens ...

Californian Elitist

I think distance makes managing the addiction easier :) It seems like my friends that still have DL APs are so addicted they can't go more than a week without visiting the park and buying some DL merchandise, even if it's just a Starbucks coffee they could have purchased outside the park.

I have a feeling they would be fine if Disney replaced the castle with a Walmart as long as it sells plushies and they can still feel 'exclusive' because they own a AP.

Too harsh?

Not too harsh at all, you're spot on. I have friends like that... They don't care what happens in the park, just as long as they keep the gates open for business. On the other hand, I have a friend who would rather see DL completely shut down as a theme park and reopened as a museum than see its history be disrespected. He's obviously not happy with SWL going into the park. He's not too happy about the park in general. He only goes once a year every July 17th, DL's birthday.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Such a tired schtick, OP. How about something original?

I clicked on your name.. and searched for Threads by drummond and I got..
Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 8.30.29 PM.png

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
I don't get Disney marketing as of late. Have you seen the Blu-Ray packaging for Force Awakens? Not one mention on it that it is Episode 8.
I thought that was the whole point that they wanted to reboot Star Wars for general audiences outside of SW fans, so they ignored having Episode VII in the title intentionally, so that those people wouldn't feel alienated by not having seen the earlier films.

Mike S

Not too harsh at all, you're spot on. I have friends like that... They don't care what happens in the park, just as long as they keep the gates open for business. On the other hand, I have a friend who would rather see DL completely shut down as a theme park and reopened as a museum than see its history be disrespected. He's obviously not happy with SWL going into the park. He's not too happy about the park in general. He only goes once a year every July 17th, DL's birthday.
A WDW fan to a DL fan: we're not so different, you and I. I always thought DL fans cared a lot more than most of the fanbois in O-Town. I even know someone who doesn't really care for the ToT rumor, as long as the drops are the same :hungover:

Californian Elitist

A WDW fan to a DL fan: we're not so different, you and I. I always thought DL fans cared a lot more than most of the fanbois in O-Town. I even know someone who doesn't really care for the ToT rumor, as long as the drops are the same :hungover:

There definitely are a lot of fans out there who are passionate enough to care for the little things. For the most part, and unfortunately, that's not the case.

That someone you know is clearly interested in ToT solely for the thrills, which is a shame. I have a friend who suggested getting rid of Lincoln and "everything else that is old in the park." She clearly had no clue what she was saying.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Having lived in NYC for a four years, I can attest the prices at Disney, Disney restaurants, and shops are very similar to your tourist prices in Midtown Manhattan and food wise across all of the city. 7.50 for a Burger at Shnippers or five guys is a good value, similarly the burger at Pecos's Bill's is around the same price. Its more expensive then McDonald's but you are paying for the location of the food more then the food itself.

The big difference is WDW is not paying midtown rent nor labor costs...

ParentsOf4

A business school professor at the University of California, Irvine analyzed how much the average movie theater charges for different food at their concession stand versus how much it costs . . . and it's really spectacular.
Movie theaters typically loose money selling tickets to films. Their profits are realized through concession sales, which is why they are so darned expensive.

Regal, America's largest theater chain, had operating income of $319M on revenue of $3.127B, an operating margin of 10.2%.

Disney's Studio Entertainment realized operating income of $1,973B on revenue of $7.366B, an operating margin of 26.8%.

If you want to blame someone for high popcorn prices, then blame companies like Disney who squeeze theater chains dry.

Last edited:

Mike S

There definitely are a lot of fans out there who are passionate enough to care for the little things. For the most part, and unfortunately, that's not the case.

That someone you know is clearly interested in ToT solely for the thrills, which is a shame. I have a friend who suggested getting rid of Lincoln and "everything else that is old in the park." She clearly had no clue what she was saying.
The only things he views as classic and not to be touched are the Magic Kingdom rides that "Walt had a hand in (lol)" not realizing there are many things that came after his death that were designed by people who knew the man personally and understood his values and people who in turn studied under them. Things like EPCOT Center. Things like Tower of Terror.

Progress.City

I thought that was the whole point that they wanted to reboot Star Wars for general audiences outside of SW fans, so they ignored having Episode VII in the title intentionally, so that those people wouldn't feel alienated by not having seen the earlier films.
People are going to get real confused when Rogue One comes out. I don't like it. But that's just my opinion.

raymusiccity

Movie theaters typically loose money selling tickets to films. Their profits are realized through concession sales, which is why they are so darned expensive.

Regal, America's largest theater chain, had operating income of $319M on revenue of $3.127B, an operating margin of 10.2%.

Disney's Studio Entertainment realized operating income of $1,973B on revenue of $7.366B, an operating margin of 26.8%.

If you want to blame someone for high popcorn prices, then blame companies like Disney who squeeze theater chains dry.

I guess we can just chalk it up to everyone being more greedy nowadays.

Our generation remembers .50 movie tkts and .25 popcorn. No complaints of low profit margins or Hollywood going broke. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom