WDW Awakens ...

ParentsOf4

I guess we can just chalk it up to everyone being more greedy nowadays.

Our generation remembers .50 movie tkts and .25 popcorn. No complaints of low profit margins or Hollywood going broke. :)
I remember my local theater, a glorious edifice harking back to Hollywood's Golden Age. Saturday afternoons with hundreds of other kids in a theater that seated over 2000. And air conditioned!

Things have changed ...

Per Regal's 2015 10K filing, the average ticket price was $9.41 while concession per patron was $4.16. With an operating margin of only 10.2%, that means that Regal lost $2.77 per ticket. Without ridiculously priced popcorn and soda, Regal actually would have lost money.

Most of it is going to Hollywood.

I guess someone has to pay for those mega mansions in Beverly Hills ...

HMF

He didn't sell out his vision. Iger told him they would use his stories. In fact, Iger told him he was so impressed with Lucas' original stories and that was the big selling point for Iger's decision to buy LucasFilm. It was only later after JJ Abrams was brought in that a decision was made to abandon Lucas's vision. Lucas was publicly not happy about it.
I firmly believe Iger conned Lucas into selling him Lucasfilm with certain promises that were not kept and unfortunately Lucas is not well known for being able to stand up for himself.

Last edited:

MonkeyHead

I guess we can just chalk it up to everyone being more greedy nowadays.

Our generation remembers .50 movie tkts and .25 popcorn. No complaints of low profit margins or Hollywood going broke. :)

I'm in my mid 30's and only at my youngest were there 3rd tier movie theate's showing movies that had stayed past their welcome for $1.

Movies cost a lot more nowadays. Prices aren't out of greed - they're out of the fact that movie theater's have never greatly profited off ticket price.

HMF

A WDW fan to a DL fan: we're not so different, you and I. I always thought DL fans cared a lot more than most of the fanbois in O-Town. I even know someone who doesn't really care for the ToT rumor, as long as the drops are the same :hungover:
Again the DL crowd has been spoiled over the last decade with mostly positive developments so i think the fight in them is not as strong as it was during the Pressler/Harris days.

lazyboy97o

There definitely are a lot of fans out there who are passionate enough to care for the little things. For the most part, and unfortunately, that's not the case.
The problem is a confusion over "little things." Expensive nonsense is the object of love, not strong storytelling, and thus whatever happens doesn't matter as long as there is expensive ornament, especially fake rocks.

Again the DL crowd has been spoiled over the last decade with mostly positive developments so i think the fight in them is not as strong as it was during the Pressler/Harris days.
They weren't spoiled, just played. The "positive" at Disneyland is largely hollow and very fitting with this type of concept.

HMF

They weren't spoiled, just played. The "positive" at Disneyland is largely hollow and very fitting with this type of concept.
Maybe spoiled is the wrong word. I think that the majority think that the resort is mostly on the right track for now. Once Chapek has time to do some damage they will "Awaken".

lazyboy97o

Maybe spoiled is the wrong word. I think that the majority think that the resort is mostly on the right track for now. Once Chapek has time to do some damage they will "Awaken".
Chapek is doing little different than has been done. So long as there is enough ornament there is no reason to suspect issues. The Disneyland fan base is just as brand obsessed, they just want it to look expensive so that they can feel superior to the swamp people.

lazyboy97o

I wonder if the quagmire of Rivers of Light will only accelerate this concept to help save some face.

Last edited:

HMF

Chapek is doing little different than has been done. So long as there is enough ornament there is no reason to suspect issues. The Disneyland fan base is just as brand obsessed, they just want it to look expensive so that they can feel superior to the swamp people.
But the difference is Disneyland has been on a relative renaissance recently . I mean there is nothing wrong with brand loyalty if it is actually earned and the majority of the developments at Disneyland has earned that loyalty in my opinion. I am hoping that Chapek won't bring us back to the dark times.

lazyboy97o

But the difference is Disneyland has been on a relative renaissance recently . I mean there is nothing wrong with brand loyalty if it is actually earned and the majority of the developments at Disneyland has earned that loyalty in my opinion. I am hoping that Chapek won't bring us back to the dark times.
What Renaissance? Disneyland has been just as creatively bankrupt.

HMF

What Renaissance? Disneyland has been just as creatively bankrupt.
The turning of DCA from a joke into a top tier park. for one thing though I know that would have happened anyway. Matt Ouimet and Ed Grier fixing the mistakes of the Pressler/Harris era. Compared to WDW, Disneyland has had a strong last 10 years.

lazyboy97o

The turning of DCA from a joke into a top tier park. for one thing though I know that would have happened anyway. Matt Ouimet and Ed Grier fixing the mistakes of the Pressler/Harris era.etc.
The Disney's California Adventure project was exactly the same as this one, reworking existing facilities into "Disney" branded experiences. Even Cars Land was a branding of an existing project and ate up all of Lasster's clout to turn out well. It's the same game plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom