WDI Layoffs

V_L_Raptor

I think they spent more on the queue for Kali River Rapids than building the actually ride.

Which, to be fair, isn't hard. That ride system certainly isn't a Disney original. Disney is actually pretty late in the game for setting up one of those circular raft rides.

V_L_Raptor

I just took a quick look on their website and it looks like they've done a good amount of animatronics for Disney. Not sure about attractions though. AA's such as Maleficent from Fantastic, Oogie Boogie from Haunted Mansion Holiday, Under The Sea's animatronics, ect. I know they didn't do FEA AA's and I'm not sure about SDMT. They've also done parade floats for Disney but none of their recent parades, at least from what I see from the website.

Wasn't too long ago they were making reproduction (Disney-style) tiki birds for sale, although they might've landed a C&D for that. At least, I thought it was Garner Holt...?

MagicHappens1971

Wasn't too long ago they were making reproduction (Disney-style) tiki birds for sale, although they might've landed a C&D for that. At least, I thought it was Garner Holt...?
I saw a bird that looked like an Enchanted Tiki Room Bird AA on there portfolio. I know Disney didn't use them for FEA and I don't think they used hem for SDMT

Figments Friend

WDI Imagineer Tom Morris was the Creative Director of “Journey into Imagineering.” Tom was Disneyland Paris’ Fantasyland and Sleeping Beauty castle show producer and worked on Hong Kong Disneyland, Walt Disney Studios Paris and the acclaimed Cars Land in California Adventure.

Tom also worked on building the Original 'Journey Into Imagination' at EPCOT Center with Tony Baxter and Bruce Gordon back in the day....

:)

-

hopemax

https://twitter.com/TomKMorris/status/761766765877538816

eta: man i hold responsible in my mind for taillight caverns

Sigh.

I'm getting an impression that real theming; inviting, whimsical environments and such are now seen as "frivolous and unnecessary" within this new WDI. I mentioned upthread, that so much of the new spaces/attractions leave me feeling cold, although they seem technically fine, and even pretty, but there's something just missing and just not as captivating. But what do I know.

Figments Friend

Just now hearing about Tom Morris' departure.
Wow...
I know we all get to that stage in life when you move on or someone does it for you, but I'm still a little surprised.
I hope it was not a outright layoff or firing and that he was at least offered something for his 'forced departure' if the case may be.

I met him at last years D23 Expo when I spent some time with Tony Baxter during a signing that was happening related to the Disney Kingdoms ' Figment' comic series.
Really nice guy, the three of us had a fun time talking about the Original 'JII'.

I wish him the best with whatever he might do in the future.

-

articos

Wow. These rumors took on a life of their own. This was a standard downsize once a project like Shanghai opens. Tom won't be unemployed for long, and might end up working on other Disney projects, just as an outside consultant, probably making more money. Fitz and Joe are still with the company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom