WDI Layoffs

articos

I'm very glad to read that Tom may still be involved as a consultant.

-
I'm not saying I know anything about Tom's future, I'm just relaying how it usually works. It's not a big industry. People move around all the time, and Disney (and Universal) uses outside companies on projects all the time, much of the time utilizing relationships from prior employment. No need to be concerned. The wheel always keeps turning. Old staff move out, new moves in, old comes back. And so on.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Everyone from @WDW1974 to @whylightbulb has pretty much said the opposite. Universal Creative is an even bigger mess than WDI, in different but worse ways. I think our OP @pheneix even referred to one of their projects as a flaming dumpster...

I know that doesn't support your doomsday narrative though.

Last I checked Disney was more than just Parks and Resorts. Is Universal about to be sold for parts because their year on year film slate is down over 50%? No...

Spirit has alluded to this multiple times but it seems to be largely the project management/executive management which is causing issues at UNI Creative how did Sprit put it ah yes 'Succeeding in spite of management'

Figments Friend

I'm not saying I know anything about Tom's future, I'm just relaying how it usually works. It's not a big industry. People move around all the time, and Disney (and Universal) uses outside companies on projects all the time, much of the time utilizing relationships from prior employment. No need to be concerned. The wheel always keeps turning. Old staff move out, new moves in, old comes back. And so on.

Thank you.
:)

-

Disneyhead'71

Wow. These rumors took on a life of their own. This was a standard downsize once a project like Shanghai opens. Tom won't be unemployed for long, and might end up working on other Disney projects, just as an outside consultant, probably making more money. Fitz and Joe are still with the company.
So, you are reassuring us that there has been no structural change in the process of attraction creation with this current round of terminations?

Oh, and I'll just leave this here.

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...d-opens-disney-layoffs-the-team-that-built-it

Last edited:

rogerrabbitfan9

So, you are reassuring us that there has been no structural change in the process of attraction creation with this current round of terminations?

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...d-opens-disney-layoffs-the-team-that-built-it
I think the OP was just noting that this isn't nearly as big of a deal as people are making it out to be, except for, of course, the people immediately involved. The industry historically relies a lot on project hires who are let go as soon as their corresponding project is over. The industry as a whole is also fairly fluid with with who the talent works for, at least as far as I can tell looking at people's LinkedIn profiles.

articos

Not sure what you mean by structural change in the process of attraction creation. The way attractions are planned and built hasn't changed much in a few decades. The way the company works is constantly tweaked, but it's been essentially the same processes for a long time as well. The article says the same thing I did.

I think the OP was just noting that this isn't nearly as big of a deal as people are making it out to be, except for, of course, the people immediately involved. The industry historically relies a lot on project hires who are let go as soon as their corresponding project is over. The industry as a whole is also fairly fluid with with who the talent works for, at least as far as I can tell looking at people's LinkedIn profiles.
Right.

Last edited:

asianway

The California WARN notice lists 74 permanent layoffs. There is not one for Florida, but not sure what the minimum is there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom