WDI Layoffs

aaronml

Rohde is not going anywhere, at least not unless he wants to.... do you think it was a coincidence that they had him pitch GotG:MB in that video? I can 100% confirm that they intentionally had him do that video in order to get more people on board with the idea, since people respect him so much. Disney knows that he is a major influencer, never mind all of the various Marvel projects that he is already leading for both coasts. Right now Chapek (and many other execs, probably even Iger) view Rohde as indispensable.

Stripes

Premium Member
Rohde is not going anywhere, at least not unless he wants to.... do you think it was a coincidence that they had him pitch GotG:MB in that video? I can 100% confirm that they intentionally had him do that video in order to get more people on board with the idea, since people respect him so much. Disney knows that he is a major influencer, never mind all of the various Marvel projects that he is already leading for both coasts. Right now Chapek (and many other execs, probably even Iger) view Rohde as indispensable.
What do you believe is happening with WDI? Is this just a Shanghai cleanup, a minor shakeup, a larger shakeup, or WDI transitioning to relying a lot more on outsourcing?

Mike S

Everyone from @WDW1974 to @whylightbulb has pretty much said the opposite. Universal Creative is an even bigger mess than WDI, in different but worse ways. I think our OP @pheneix even referred to one of their projects as a flaming dumpster...

I know that doesn't support your doomsday narrative though.

Last I checked Disney was more than just Parks and Resorts. Is Universal about to be sold for parts because their year on year film slate is down over 50%? No...
I'm betting I don't have to guess which project that would be... :facepalm:

aaronml

What do you believe is happening with WDI? Is this just a Shanghai cleanup, a minor shakeup, a larger shakeup, or WDI transitioning to relying a lot more on outsourcing?
This is a combination of "end of project terminations" and a restructuring/shakeup of WDI that is designed to make WDI more efficient (read: cheap). I think we probably will see an increase in reliance of contractors,

Thanks phoenicians

Glad to see that joe wasn't laid off. As for those that were I'm sure they will be welcome at universal which is probably better anyway. As for that other Disney news site I'm relatively new in the blogosphere so I do occasionally pop over there to see what they have to say however spreading that kind of a rumor was completely inappropriate especially when it comes to someone's career.

Rteetz

Glad to see that joe wasn't laid off. As for those that were I'm sure they will be welcome at universal which is probably better anyway. As for that other Disney news site I'm relatively new in the blogosphere so I do occasionally pop over there to see what they have to say however spreading that kind of a rumor was completely inappropriate especially when it comes to someone's career.
I agree and then he gets all mad at people for getting mad at him for spreading that info on Twitter.

Lee

Adventurer
This is a combination of "end of project terminations" and a restructuring/shakeup of WDI that is designed to make WDI more efficient (read: cheap). I think we probably will see an increase in reliance of contractors,
Yep.
It's an inevitable shift that has been slowly happening over the last few years.
WDI will eventually be just a few creatives in house with an army of outside contractors they outsource the bulk of the actual design work to.

pheneix

Original Poster
Are we talking about Bob Iger or Bob Weis. Weis cares, Iger doesn't - Iger will be spending more time with his family sooner than 2018.

But the narrative conjecture your making is a team of around 5,000 -6,000 individuals will go down to 50. Which won't happen.

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say that.

Also WDI's workforce was around 2000ish before layoff week.

Bob Weis isn't the saint everyone wishes he was. He got the job because he can follow orders.

the.dreamfinder

Are we talking about Bob Iger or Bob Weis. Weis cares, Iger doesn't - Iger will be spending more time with his family sooner than 2018.

But the narrative conjecture your making is a team of around 5,000 -6,000 individuals will go down to 50. Which won't happen.
They already tried to do that in 2009. It didn't work. That's partly why Vaughn was fired. All of WDI's non Shanghai projects, like the now delayed FLE and Frozen Port for TDR, were put on hold for almost a year because they needed everyone to right that project. They would have been in a real bad place if they didn't already have those individuals on staff.

Also, if Chapek wants things out the door fast, you can't rely on workforce comprised largely of contractors given Disney's fondness for design revisions; which is likely a bigger problem than Joe Rohde's research trip overspending on the mouse's credit card.

SirLink

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say that.

Also WDI's workforce was around 2000ish before layoff week.

Bob Weis isn't the saint everyone wishes he was. He got the job because he can follow orders.

You said:

No. I feel pretty comfortable saying that anyone with "tenure" at WDI will not be heading Marvel projects anymore.

I'll leave it at that.

The numbers were hyperbole. The implication very much is there, is that from now their won't be any permanent positions @ WDI , you need portfolio managers at least - you need WDI to design attractions - nobody wants Garner Holt attractions in the MK/DHS/Epcot/DAK.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, they can't call it a retirement unless he willingly leaves the company. He could stand there all day 'till they fire him or lay him off, but they can't force him to retire.

The way you do it is to offer them a great package that they only get if they leave on YOUR terms. That and once you get to a level in an industry it can be customary for people to be offered to leave verse fired for saving face.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom