WDI Layoffs

flynnibus

Premium Member
I admittedly had no idea WDI was such a big operation. Fo some reason I just pictured several creative guys and gals in a big studio building models and brainstorming.

Just remember... The guy who has to pick out the carpet in the hallway is an 'imagineer' too or the guy who has to write the safety spiel. It takes hundreds of disciplines to complete a project and many are in house.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just remember... The guy who has to pick out the carpet in the hallway is an 'imagineer' too or the guy who has to write the safety spiel. It takes hundreds of disciplines to complete a project and many are in house.

More than 140 disciplines exist at Imagineering including artists, architects, engineers, writers, machinists, landscape designers, model makers, sound technicians, carpenters, producers, accountants, filmmakers, schedulers, estimators and more.

https://disneyimaginations.com/tips-faq/faq/#faq-3

pheneix

Original Poster
You said:

The numbers were hyperbole. The implication very much is there, is that from now their won't be any permanent positions @ WDI , you need portfolio managers at least - you need WDI to design attractions - nobody wants Garner Holt attractions in the MK/DHS/Epcot/DAK.

That isn't what I implied and whatever.

FWIW I would happily have Garner Holt installing rides at WDW over WDI and never think twice on the decision.*

* Garner does so much Disney work it's actually kinda ironic they were cited in this context.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

aaronml

So low single digit percentage on 2,000 employees sounds like about 100 employees laid off. Still sucks for those people, but it is pretty believable that this is mostly related to Shanghai construction wrapping up. It was a huge project.
I think they may have been a little disingenuous with that number. The percentage of WDI that was "impacted" was around 10% — approximately 200 people. A good chunk of those were people were people hired for project work on a temporary basis, and their assignments were "ended" which probably they aren't counting as layoffs when talking to press and saying "low single digit percentage".

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Because the attractions that they have designed from the ground up as brand new attractions have been terrible.
Not a fan of chuck e cheese?

image.jpeg

SirLink

Since when does install equate to design?

I was talking about design in my original post not about install. The fact Garner Holt designs attractions as well .... would you like a Garner Holt designed attraction in the middle of the MK or DL.

MagicHappens1971

What attractions are Garner Holt designed?
I just took a quick look on their website and it looks like they've done a good amount of animatronics for Disney. Not sure about attractions though. AA's such as Maleficent from Fantastic, Oogie Boogie from Haunted Mansion Holiday, Under The Sea's animatronics, ect. I know they didn't do FEA AA's and I'm not sure about SDMT. They've also done parade floats for Disney but none of their recent parades, at least from what I see from the website.

Mike S

I just took a quick look on their website and it looks like they've done a good amount of animatronics for Disney. Not sure about attractions though. AA's such as Maleficent from Fantastic, Oogie Boogie from Haunted Mansion Holiday, Under The Sea's animatronics, ect. I know they didn't do FEA AA's and I'm not sure about SDMT. They've also done parade floats for Disney but none of their recent parades, at least from what I see from the website.
I know it's been said that Ursula at least was made by Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom