Waterstar Orlando Project

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
DAK was chosen for that site because it was the best land to resemble the Savannah , Im assuming the location of the Savannah lead to the location of the hotel. Recent land purchases also shows that Disney is ready and willing to pay for land they want. I suspect there was some behind the scenes issues that hindered their ability to get this chunk. Like mentioned above, Disney wanted the bonnet creek area since the 60s and the land owner flat out refused every time. Could have been a similar issue here. A berm will fix the issue of sight lines from certain areas.
Disney also lowballed in bonnet creek and arranged regulatory hurdles attempting to get that result…they lost. Only the 72 dolphins are undefeated

UNCgolf

DAK was chosen for that site because it was the best land to resemble the Savannah , Im assuming the location of the Savannah lead to the location of the hotel. Recent land purchases also shows that Disney is ready and willing to pay for land they want. I suspect there was some behind the scenes issues that hindered their ability to get this chunk. Like mentioned above, Disney wanted the bonnet creek area since the 60s and the land owner flat out refused every time. Could have been a similar issue here. A berm will fix the issue of sight lines from certain areas.

That doesn't refute my point, though. They could have built it closer to the actual park; shift it east/northeast a quarter of a mile to keep it away from the property line. There's plenty of undeveloped land between the Lodge and the actual park, and being even a little bit closer would have other benefits too.

Someone above mentioned it was placed that far to the west to block any expansion of Osceola Parkway -- who knows if that's true, but it's at least plausible.

Last edited:

durangojim

I was shocked when we were driving on US 192 last summer to get something at Target that we could see AKL from the road, which meant anyone staying in those rooms could see us too. Seemed very unDisney like, but I guess it’s just new Disney which doesn’t care about sight lines.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That doesn't refute my point, though. They could have built it closer to the actual park; shift it east/northeast a quarter of a mile to keep it away from the property line. There's plenty of undeveloped land between the Lodge and the the savanna at the actual park.

Someone above mentioned it was placed that far to the west to block any expansion of Osceola Parkway -- who knows if that's true, but it's at least plausible.
To be clear…that’s a theory that had some references by players in the game at that time…it also made it into print in the Orlando, Miami, Tampa papers…back when we had papers 👍🏻

and it is directly in the path of the Osceola parkway…a troubled road that the officials felt Disney strong armed them on

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It would be such a short walk that alligators wouldn't be a concern. From the back of the new development to the tennis/basketball courts would only be a few hundred feet. It's not like people would be hiking for 10 minutes; it would be a couple of minutes tops.

But someone said there's a trench there, and if there isn't, Disney will likely put up a fence.
It’s kinda moot…no way they allow “strolling” in and out of their $500 a night rooms with the $25 parking spaces 😎

castlecake2.0

That doesn't refute my point, though. They could have built it closer to the actual park; shift it east/northeast a quarter of a mile to keep it away from the property line. There's plenty of empty space between the Lodge and the the savanna at the actual park.

Someone above mentioned it was placed that far to the west to block any expansion of Osceola Parkway -- who knows if that's true, but it does seem plausible.
Not trying to argue, more of a discussion of possible reasons. I’d much rather there be a buffer around the area but I also understand there’s probably lots of reasons why it didn’t happen. Your last point seems likely too, orange and Osceola counties go through phases of pressure on Disney for having so much vacant land, the placement of DAK lodge could have been strategic choice to maintain “sovereignty” in the area.

UNCgolf

Not trying to argue, more of a discussion of possible reasons. I’d much rather there be a buffer around the area but I also understand there’s probably lots of reasons why it didn’t happen. Your last point seems likely too, orange and Osceola counties go through phases of pressure on Disney for having so much vacant land, the placement of DAK lodge could have been strategic choice to maintain “sovereignty” in the area.

I'm inclined to think it's a combination of blocking Osceola Parkway expansion and Disney just not being especially concerned about nearby development when it was built, considering that was over two decades ago. Maybe a bit short-sighted on their part.

But who knows? We're all just speculating.

The only thing that really matters is that this is unfortunate for AKL guests regardless of any reasons why.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm inclined to think it's a combination of blocking Osceola Parkway expansion and Disney just not being especially concerned about nearby development when it was built, considering that was over two decades ago. Maybe a bit short-sighted on their part.

But who knows? We're all just speculating.

The only thing that really matters is that this is unfortunate for AKL guests regardless of any reasons why.

While I agree it’s bad show I can’t help but find this thread a bit humorous as a Disneyland regular, everyone is worried about catching a glimpse of the outside world through the trees and I just keep thinking of the honking cars, street musicians (with PAs), panhandlers, homeless people, and mentally unstable people we passed going to the Hilton convention center hotel outside Disneyland a few months ago.

The gift of size still beats the alternative.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While I agree it’s bad show I can’t help but find this thread a bit humorous as a Disneyland regular, everyone is worried about catching a glimpse of the outside world through the trees and I just keep thinking of the honking cars, street musicians (with PAs), panhandlers, homeless people, and mentally unstable people we passed going to the Hilton convention center hotel outside Disneyland a few months ago.

That’s Cali, Baby…

different animal

UNCgolf

Oh sure, but I think that's why it's considered such an issue for WDW. Since opening WDW was buffered from the outside world; you entered a Disney bubble. Disneyland hasn't been like that for a very long time (if it ever was). It's unfortunate to see it happening at WDW, especially considering how much land they still own along with the fact that they've sold some that they did not need to sell.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh sure, but I think that's why it's considered such an issue for WDW. Since opening WDW was buffered from the outside world; you entered a Disney bubble. Disneyland hasn't been like that for a very long time (if it ever was). It's unfortunate to see it happening at WDW, especially considering how much land they still own along with the fact that they've sold some that they did not need to sell.
It’s certainly not a good look. If I wanted to look at 192…I know where to find it.

but I don’t support a target, the hookup houses or a Hyatt place on property either…but what do I know?

it’s a violation of the same “bubble”…just my opinion

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
It’s certainly not a good look. If I wanted to look at 192…I know where to find it.

but I don’t support a target, the hookup houses or a Hyatt place on property either…but what do I know?

I stayed on 192 last stay right on lake Wilson and it was nice. A big difference between time shares and motels. Now I have a town house but parts of 192 can be fine. I paid a fraction of what I rented my DVC points for.

Lilofan

I stayed on 192 last stay right on lake Wilson and it was nice. A big difference between time shares and motels. Now I have a town house but parts of 192 can be fine. I paid a fraction of what I rented my DVC points for.
Definitely wasn't the section of 192 at Disney's doorstep where The Florida Project with actor Willem Dafoe ( nominated for an Oscar for the role ) was filmed on location to expose the reality dark side of Kissimmee and Hwy 192 that tourists were unaware about. The ending scenes filmed secretly at MK with the actors is classic.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Perfectly fine…but the place was built to be a “bubble” on the inside. It’s not just about lodging
I'm sure it will be a gated one to try to keep the homeless and thieves out. It is Kissimmee after all....
Direct sarcasm?

castlecake2.0

I was mad about flamingo crossing originally but then realized I never knew that plot of land existed until it was announced so I kinda got over it. Wdw already suffers from urban sprawl, I can’t imagine they’d ever push the arches out that far for anything Disney branded. I’m more concerned that they maintain the buffer around wdw proper. I saw a for sale sign on reams road on the Disney side by Bay Lake, that would be an interesting lot to watch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom