Watchmen Watch Thread

EpcotServo

Original Poster
Who watches the Watchmen?

We do! Now that Dark Knight is just a few short hours from release, we're also a few hours (and one trailer closer) to the screen version of without-a-doubt the best Graphic Novel EVER! From the director of 300, the best Graphic Novel movie ever!

If you haven't had the pleasure of reading it yet, then you're lazy! (Seriously, I waited WAY too long to read it. You shouldn't!) here's the basic story.

A complex, multi-layered mystery adventure, Watchmen is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the “Doomsday Clock” - which charts the USA’s tension with the Soviet Union - is permanently set at five minutes to midnight. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed-up but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion - a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers - Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity…but who is watching the watchmen? Watchmen hits theaters on March 6th 2009.​

And finally, after a long wait, here's the first trailer!

Fans, it does not dissapoint.

:D

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/index.html

So set your clocks, and keep watching and posting in this thread....
watchmen.jpg

Green Lantern

Saw the trailer and it looks great. The movie visually looks beautiful. All the costumes look great, this film is going to be huge. I plan to re-read this book to get ready for the film.

Green Lantern

That is a great cover, I might have to buy that issue tomorrow at the mall.

Man, I am getting excited for this film. I really need to give that book another read.

diddy_mouse

Seeing the trailer at the Dark Knight, it was both funny and sad that no one in the audience knew what The Watchmen was. However both my husband and I were excited!

WDWFREAK53

Nope, never read it...but after hearing about the movie...I looked it up online to get the "gist" of it. I was really looking forward to it...it seemed like a great concept. I saw the trailer with the Dark Knight...and I was shaking my head. It did not look good at all (IMO). One guy looks like he could've been in the Dark Knight...running around the city dressed as Batman to scare the criminals.

*shrugs* Maybe when longer trailers come out it'll change my mind...but this looks like a definite rental in my book.

Also, I was really interested in The Spirit...but even that one has me wondering.

Number_6

Nope, never read it...but after hearing about the movie...I looked it up online to get the "gist" of it. I was really looking forward to it...it seemed like a great concept. I saw the trailer with the Dark Knight...and I was shaking my head. It did not look good at all (IMO). One guy looks like he could've been in the Dark Knight...running around the city dressed as Batman to scare the criminals.

*shrugs* Maybe when longer trailers come out it'll change my mind...but this looks like a definite rental in my book.

Also, I was really interested in The Spirit...but even that one has me wondering.

Honestly, if you give it a read, you might think the movie looks better to you. It's really an excellent story and the images in the trailer really carry over from the graphic novel beautifully. A lot of the excitement surrounding the movie is seeing it come to life and looking as much like the graphic novel as it does. If the acting is done as well as the attention to detail seems, this could be a fantastic movie.

Timmay

Check out this EW cover. It looks like Timmay's avatar in startling three dimensons!
:lol:

picture.php

Wow...it's deja vu all over again.

Run...don't walk, but run out and get the book today. You honestly have no idea how good it is.

Wilt Dasney

I hate to add to what seems like impossibly inflated hype already, but WATCHMEN is one of the most incredible things ever. Forget comics. We're talking any existing forum of relaying ideas. I was stunned by how good it was when I read the book a few years ago.

The movie talk has gotten me wanting to read it again, but my copy is buried somewhere at my parents' house on the other side of the state. I've been bugging my mom to find it and send it to me for a few weeks now. I've been tempted just to buy another copy, but I'm going to hold out a little longer. :lol:

As for the trailer, I was impressed. I can't imagine that anything would live up to the book, but it looks like they're at least going to play it close to the source material, which can't be bad. I'll definitely be seeing it.

EpcotServo

Original Poster

Nite Owl. Kinda the point. And Batman, he certainly isn't.
:lol:

At this time, Watchmen is such a classic, you can see bits of it in nearly everything. Incredibles? Totally has some Watchmen-based ideas in it. It's pretty much one of those stories that has become one of the basics of comics/sci-fi/geekdom.

Really I'm not seeing this as it HAS to be better than reading the book (Which is impossible), it just has to be an amazing movie version of it.

Green Lantern

I'd totally rebuy this trade if I was missing mine.

Oh man, The Spirit looks so awful!

Saw the trailer again today at the theatre and it looks great. I was let down that no one in the theatre knew what is was. Oh well, their loss. They will learn soon enough!

I agree with Timmay on this, go read the book, it really is an excellent read.

Green Lantern

I just stole my wife's copy of EW. Adrian Veidt looks to be what...12 years old, tops?

My brother was supposed to lend me his yesterday and he forgot it. :mad:

I wonder how much coverage Wizard magazine will give this movie? Also, with Comic Con hitting this week, I wonder how much of a presence Watchmen will have there? I'd image quite a bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom