Watch Disney Parks raise the curtain on exciting plans live today at 12:45pm EDT

Thrill Seeker

Yeah I was pretty disappointed. They basically revealed a generic campaign and talked very briefly on stuff we already knew was being worked on. Nothing on FLE. Nothing specifically for the 40th.

The whole photos on the castle thing is kinda interesting, but is that going to be an entire show? Will it be combined with fireworks for a new nighttime show?

Oh and the song was cheesy. I still like it better than the current one though...

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
This is an actual quote from their PR website:

"A just-released survey of U.S. and Canadian families conducted for Disney Parks by Ypartnership, a noted research firm that tracks consumer insights and trends in travel, showed that vacation memories hold a special place in family history. "

Really?! How much money did they actually PAY for that info??

And how much did they spend on that embarrassment of a press event? The characters even looked bored. At least the people who were invited got some free food out of the deal. :rolleyes:

hoke2007

Great...now their going to ruin Disney icons by posting guest photos on them, can't wait for that:hurl:

Exactly. I'd rather they just let the parks speak for themselves through quality attractions and constant upgrades instead of some crappy advertising campaign which involves plastering random people's faces on the castle.

What are they going to think of next? Oh wait, probably another ticket price hike and nothing new.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Exactly. I just don't get the point. You're in Walt Disney World, if you just look around you can see families making memories everywhere you turn. What's the point in projecting it on the castle? I'm not a negative person or a Disney basher at all, but this is the stupidest thing I've heard from them.

Yeah that would be like building a theme park that shows the wonders of California and actually putting it in California. How stupid would that be!

cheezbat

Talk about a wast of 45 minutes...they could've just dropped the new slogan in like 5 minutes and saved us all that time.

Very underwhelming...and I was very upset that the only attractions mentioned were in regards to Disney California Adventure and Disneyland...no mention of any of the projects being done at WDW. (even though we're getting LM and ST2 here as well)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is anyone really shocked? None of these events have ever given us news that we would either be interested in or haven't been talking about for months.

mightynine

So in summary:

1. Disney now want us to provide all the content for their commercials.

2. They are going to display photos on the castle at WDW and Small World at DL

3. They have a new song that isn't very good.

4. None of that presentation should ever have been made public. Disney really need to look at how Steve Jobs and Apple do things - the difference is night and day.

1. Nothing new. Companies like Domino's, Applebees, and Hyundai are using either user-submitted videos and pictures these days (though I doubt those Hyundai test drive ones). It's an attempt to tap into social networking, and I'm sure there's research that says those videos feel more "authentic" to the consumer.

2. Can't comment until I see it.

3. Can't comment until I hear the produced version, not one in a live setup that won't do anyone any favors.

4. Not made public? Perhaps. Not hyped up? Probably. But it was what it was - a corporate presser held in the middle of the day.

TP2000

And I have a feeling that all of the people that tuned in on the blog will voice these sentiments as well. If we have learned anything, people don't hold back on that blog (and surprisingly Disney lets a lot of it go).

Yeah. But the Disney Parks Blog will also drum up some perky, upbeat comments from bored housewives who watched this announcement while they waited for the bath towels to complete their spin cycle in the laundry room. For them, this was terribly exciting. :lol:

Don't know about you guys, but Disney Parks Blog totally crashed for me during this presentation and was unreachable. Thank you to wdwmagic hosts here who directed us to their own Ustream link at wdwmagic.com, which is where I was able to watch the presentation/announcement from. Disney Parks Blog totally failed this morning.

Not to mention the Memories campaign fell a bit flat as well. :cool:

jhastings74

My $.02:

- Interesting to see Michael J. Fox on there. I still like him and it was good to see him, though I wonder how they came up with him as the celebrity guest...hope it wasn't anything related to the 'sympathy' value he may bring...

- Still not a Tom Bergeron fan, although I LOVED it when he started harrassing Tom Staggs about 'synergy'...

- Tom Staggs...fairly funny guy. I enjoyed him more than anyone else that was on there, I think.

- I want to meet the Teleprompter Guy!

- It seems as if interviewing 3,000 guests doesn't necessarily give the best sample group for a park/parks that bring in millions and millions of guests...but I have zero experience in marketing, etc., so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

...and on a related note...

- I was a bit creeped out when the marketing guy said, "And we interviewed 600 kids without their mom or dad present"...lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom