News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

awoogala

Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin extends its closure to the end of July
We have a res. for Swan in late August. I'm still trying to figure out if it's going to be worth it to go. Will we even get into the parks? What is 3 of us have tickets, and one has an annual pass? Will we have different reservation systems/requirements? ughhhh I hate the uncertainty.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No, Disney has not issued any AP refunds yet, and they are claiming the "partial refund" will only be for the months they are closed March 16 -July 11, which calculates to be up to 25% max of what you paid, which is a total rip off. Disney is not telling anyone what the amount will be, nor will they start the refund process. It could change. (FWIW I want more like a 75% refund or new vouchers I can use when things open back up)

DVC owners have way more options. They can use the points next year, rent out any expiring points, or sell the DVC. AP holders cannot rent or sell their pass.
It’s not that easy to rent out or sell DVC points. Those are options I guess, but you need a willing renter or buyer and will pay a lot in closing costs to sell. Renting could be a viable option but I’m not sure how much demand there is given all the renters who had their rooms cancelled are all looking to make up stays from their existing contracts. I wouldn’t even consider renting DVC points right now. If the parks have to close again at some point you are back in the same situation many people were in between March and now.

You cannot use the DVC points next year in a lot of cases. Maybe later this year. I have a room booked for August that I am cancelling. Because the DVC resorts are open in August when I cancel I have to follow the same rules as “normal life”. My 2019 points that I banked into 2020 must be used by the end of my use year. I also borrowed 2021 points to make the reservation. When I cancel they won‘t put those points back to 2021 use year so they also have to now be used in 2020. Depending on how soon you cancel, if it’s within 30 days of checkin the points go into a holding account, can’t be banked and can’t be used for a reservation further than 60 days from your arrival. So if I want to reschedule for August 2021 (which I do) I lose most of my points and I’m further restricted from borrowing half my 2022 points. I have no flexibility to wait for restrictions to be lifted.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin extends its closure to the end of July

According to the Swolphin's reservation site, all those ridiculously high rates are gone and replace with "Not available for check-in."

Also, check-in for both now go to August 11.

Dolphin...

1591643971042.png

Swan...
1591644001514.png

RaveOnEd

I feel like Disney wasn’t at all prepared to open. What were they doing the last three months?
I don't think they were, but what's surprising me is that it doesn't seem like they truly had a contingency in place in case they could open when they announced they would.

Honestly, having this information come out in little dribs and drabs tells me, in a way, that they may not have had a complete plan in place, which isn't really what I'd have expected from them.

robhedin

No, Disney has not issued any AP refunds yet, and they are claiming the "partial refund" will only be for the months they are closed March 16 -July 11, which calculates to be up to 25% max of what you paid, which is a total rip off. Disney is not telling anyone what the amount will be, nor will they start the refund process. It could change. (FWIW I want more like a 75% refund or new vouchers I can use when things open back up)

DVC owners have way more options. They can use the points next year, rent out any expiring points, or sell the DVC. AP holders cannot rent or sell their pass.
Well, to be fair- it depends on when your pass expires, doesn’t it, mine expires on July 2nd so if I wanted a refund, I’d get back exactly what wasn’t used. That sounds correct to me.

at the same time, they’ve said they aren’t processing refunds yet, so we don’t know how they’re really going to treat things.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Yeah, the Swan and Dolphin rarely have exactly the same price. Looks a bit placeholdery to me.
Might be placeholdery but you can actually book a room at what's typically a priceline rate from 8/12 on (Plus, of course, a modest resort fee that I believe is closing in on $50 a night).

Disney Dad 3000

Well, to be fair- it depends on when your pass expires, doesn’t it, mine expires on July 2nd so if I wanted a refund, I’d get back exactly what wasn’t used. That sounds correct to me.

at the same time, they’ve said they aren’t processing refunds yet, so we don’t know how they’re really going to treat things.
And not to be a Disney defender, but how many AP holders (especially out of staters) will be getting refunds for months they weren't going to be in the parks anyway.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Actually, you would probably get approx. 33%, but I wonder why you think you deserve more??? 75%??? The other thing to consider is that for Shanghai AP holders, they are extending their dates until the end of the reservation period. It is entirely probable that they will do the same thing for WDW APs. That might extend a refund to 50% or more, depending on the dates.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
DVC point system is damn near wrecked.

DVC model assumes 97% points used In year and the bank and borrow offset. Each “point” is maxed out in the upfront sales too...

Now close for 3+ months and figure out how long it takes to work the kinks out of millions of points...or whatever number it is? It’s not small.
I don't think DVC owners are prepared for how bad availability will be for the next several years.

I participate in a very active DVC forum on another large message board and everyone there thinks it will be fine in 12-18 months. But the borrowing restrictions they imposed actually serve to push the problem out further into the future; so would closing Jambo, and oh by the way about 18% of total DVC points are at Aulani and VGC and who knows when they're opening. It's a disaster.

The only fixes I've heard that will actually move the needle are to either temporarily limit banking, or allow ALL members including resale to use their points to book hotel rooms rates favorable to studio villas. The first one Disney is allowed to do but would cause pitchfork riots. The second comes out of Disney's pocket.

Bad things.

rowrbazzle

DVC point system is damn near wrecked.

DVC model assumes 97% points used In year and the bank and borrow offset. Each “point” is maxed out in the upfront sales too...

Now close for 3+ months and figure out how long it takes to work the kinks out of millions of points...or whatever number it is? It’s not small.

And they're making it worse by closing Jambo (can't figure how they think that's okay). Opening up points at Riviera would help too, though at least those points still belong to Disney so they can choose. It's not points related, but keeping Stormalong Bay closed is crap.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think DVC owners are prepared for how bad availability will be for the next several years.

I participate in a very active DVC forum on another large message board and everyone there thinks it will be fine in 12-18 months. But the borrowing restrictions they imposed actually serve to push the problem out further into the future; so would closing Jambo, and oh by the way about 18% of total DVC points are at Aulani and VGC and who knows when they're opening. It's a disaster.

The only fixes I've heard that will actually move the needle are to either temporarily limit banking, or allow ALL members including resale to use their points to book hotel rooms rates favorable to studio villas. The first one Disney is allowed to do but would cause pitchfork riots. The second comes out of Disney's pocket.

Bad things.
...they are not.

It’s not even maybe you “can’t” get anything...that’s a side problem.

The reality is I tend to go 3-4 times over and annual pass. I’m not “rigid” at all but some visits do go during a “peak” time.

So basically: I had intended on going 3+ from 2020-21...but I can’t, which means the value of the ticket is wrecked.

So that’s how you lose loyal visitors for how long?

Nobody put a gun to my head in 2005 when I bought and forked over the cash...and i have spent a lot more since...but this isn’t what I paid for. So who knows for how long and how “opinions” may change?

I pay the menu prices without much thought...no dining plan. I buy overpriced Disney drinks (too many...and yet not enough)...I buy Tommy Bahamas shirts in the hotels for poops and giggles...

I hope they don’t miss me 🤔

And even “only 12-18 months”...everyone bought that time...and you don’t get it back. Booking one bedrooms in 2023 when you wanted studios in 2020 and 2021 are not equivalent value.

crawale

They said when they closed that APs would be extended by the number of days the parks were closed so why won't they give an actual date to which your pass is extended? If you want to reschedule I would imagine people would still like to go within the window for their pass so why not let CMs state a definite date? With the combination of AP and DVC use year you really need to know exact dates or you will either lose points or have to but another AP. I am surprised at the lack of information - that Disney has not yet figured any of these things out during the closure. As a Florida resident I would have bought a Silver Pass instead of this Gold Pass had I not wanted to visit during the summer. However it is really DVC members who are being charged for DVC fees while not able to use the resorts that are losing out. Disney say we MAY get reduced fees next year but in more than 20 years the DVC fees have never gone down. At least APs have the option of being refunded.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom