News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It is going to be interesting when men and women are crammed into the bathrooms doing their business. I can't see social distancing happening.
Ive never been "crammed" in a Disney bathroom even when the parks were busy.

When there are no available stalls or urinals, people form a line. I wouldn't call that crammed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Whats the betting a week into the opening a thread is opened complaining about wait times being 4x what they are in peak season...
When you’re only running the parks to a fraction of their capacity and there’s just one line for everything it’ll be a breath of fresh air. Through a mask.

Peesonlly I hope I’m allowed to experience it.

danv3

Is it safe to assume that Disney is seriously considering delaying or even suspending its reopening given the current COVID trends in Florida?

rowrbazzle

I don't think we'll go back again until 2022. Hopefully, they'll be discounts and some normalcy again. We have a trip planned to Japan in April, and I moved our European cruise to next September. Fingers crossed international travel will be normal by 2021.

We were saving points for a big trip in 2021. DVC put a restriction on borrowing next year so that's off the table. We'll need to use or lose at least some of the points though so we'll probably be going next year. Hopefully next summer is better than this one. Hope overseas looks better for y'all. Crazy.

rk03221

Not that I'm advocating for people to rush to WDW, but IMO, it seems many people feel WDW is no less safe than going to the grocery store or Wal Mart, especially considering that they will be checking temperatures, requiring masks and limiting capacity, which is a safety feature that local supermarkets and box stores don't offer.

Take a few minutes when you're at the grocery store and watch how many people touch multiple items and put them back, then adjust their mask and touch their face and continue to shop. There are no employees sanitizing ANYTHING besides shopping carts, and to be fair, what would be the point since many people will be touching the same items shortly after. Not to mention that your are within inches of people constantly.

Again, not advocating for people to rush to WDW. We have DVC and could easily book a few days at a resort for the re-opening (there's plenty of availability still). As much as we'd love to visit, we're not in any rush. But at least at WDW with limited attendance and constant sanitization of handrails, tables, ride vehicles , etc and outdoor spaces with plenty of room to distance yourself, and they will be checking/testing CM's (another thing box stores aren't doing), youre chances of contracting the virus are much lower.

In short, (and I'm honestly asking of others opinions); is visiting WDW for a few days any more dangerous than going to the grocery store for a few days in a row?

The problem is people traveling from all over and bringing it back to the states they live in. Disney should do an opening just for AP and locals then go from there.

djkidkaz

Is it safe to assume that Disney is seriously considering delaying or even suspending its reopening given the current COVID trends in Florida?

It doesn’t appear that way. It seems like the train has left the station and there is no stopping it. Disney makes no money with the parks closed and actually loses some when you factor in security, maintenance and custodial who have to be around to keep things running to a basic level. Now the details come in when they reopen as far as how much is it costing to run with all the cast members back compared to attendance and guest spending. Does the labor cost outweigh guest spending?

I think Disney has to open to keep Florida afloat at all. The state is built on people coming to Florida to visit Disney and then doing other things. Wire needs to get out that “I went to Disney World and it was so clean and safe and such a great visiting experience with less guests!” to get people to be like “hmmm...maybe we SHOULD book that trip and go!”

Jrb1979

It doesn’t appear that way. It seems like the train has left the station and there is no stopping it. Disney makes no money with the parks closed and actually loses some when you factor in security, maintenance and custodial who have to be around to keep things running to a basic level. Now the details come in when they reopen as far as how much is it costing to run with all the cast members back compared to attendance and guest spending. Does the labor cost outweigh guest spending?

I think Disney has to open to keep Florida afloat at all. The state is built on people coming to Florida to visit Disney and then doing other things. Wire needs to get out that “I went to Disney World and it was so clean and safe and such a great visiting experience with less guests!” to get people to be like “hmmm...maybe we SHOULD book that trip and go!”
I hope that it works that way but I really have my doubts. I don't see many following the rules and Disney doesn't have the best track record enforcing the rules. At least this time they can't give out fast passes for restaurants unhappy guests.

Mainahman

Would not surprise me if WDW's reopening is also delayed.

Really at this point, nothing would surprise me.
This wasn't a Walt Disney company choice. That was the government. They really had no choice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom