News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

JohnD

It could be that Universal's crowds are low because Disney isn't open. I wonder how many people come to Orlando just to go to Universal. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney overall was a bigger draw and that a significant number of people use a single trip to go to both Disney and Universal (and Seaworld).

Of course, there's people that are not going to go because they're concerned or because they don't like the restrictions, but I'm wondering how much the above is impacting as well.

Given that Disney is (currently) only opening (most) of the DVC resorts, it looks like they're expecting low attendance initially as well.

I can think of several reasons (two of which you mentioned):
1. WDW still closed
2. Summer vacations cancelled back in March, especially for those out of state. Too difficult to schedule a new vacation on short notice.
3. Weather (currently lots of rain)
4. COVID restrictions. As has already been discussed ad nauseum, it's a deal-breaker for many.
5. People staying close to home for a while

techgeek

1. WDW still closed
2. Summer vacations cancelled back in March, especially for those out of state. Too difficult to schedule a new vacation on short notice.
4. COVID restrictions. As has already been discussed ad nauseum, it's a deal-breaker for many.

Let’s not forget record unemployment and ongoing economic / political instability and uncertainty.

No one has the slightest clue what late summer and fall is going to look like, on multiple fronts. There’s a lot of pent up demand, absolutely, but there’s a lot of reality to confront at the moment too.

DisDadWoz

Does anyone have any insight as to how resort only reservations are for the period leading up to the parks reopening? I've seen later in July being heavy per reports (obviously) but what about the first weeks in July? Are there many people (like us) who have a July 4th weekend reservation that they made, or kept from prior planning? I'm very interested to see what crowds at the actual resorts will be like.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Does anyone have any insight as to how resort only reservations are for the period leading up to the parks reopening? I've seen later in July being heavy per reports (obviously) but what about the first weeks in July? Are there many people (like us) who have a July 4th weekend reservation that they made, or kept from prior planning? I'm very interested to see what crowds at the actual resorts will be like.
It’s just the DVC resorts open right? I would think they will be pretty empty with a pretty mellow vibe. Kinda like HHI resort but without the beach house. The only downside is with the parks not open will everyone who is there be at the pools all day? I suppose some people could use the DVC resorts as a base to go to Sea World and Universal since they will both be open and there’s always DS.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It’s just the DVC resorts open right? I would think they will be pretty empty with a pretty mellow vibe. Kinda like HHI resort but without the beach house. The only downside is with the parks not open will everyone who is there be at the pools all day? I suppose some people could use the DVC resorts as a base to go to Sea World and Universal since they will both be open and there’s always DS.
I agree. I think that between June 22 and July 11, it will be a very relaxing vacation, similar to HH. We've done resort only stays multiple times, and they are some of the most relaxing trips ever.

DisDadWoz

Yes, we're kind of hoping that relaxing at the pool with limited crowd would be nice. Disney Springs will be on the agenda as well. We're just looking to get away so we shall see. With most cities we've seen cancellation of July 4th celebrations so maybe people will just stay home.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The generic COVID thread is that way --->

Please leave this thread about what Disney is doing to reopen with the existence of COVID as a given. Thanks.

Sweeper1

My suggestion is to let the passholder decide when the remaining time on his or her pass should restart. When a passholder is comfortable with the conditions of use, then he or she can just use the pass at the gate or notify passholder services. That way, time is not running while a passholder feels the conditions (masks, reservations, etc.) are unacceptable.

Rider

So hard keeping track of which thread is which...

Anyway, I called today to opt into the AP extension. The automated system misrouted me and the agent had to transfer me to the right place but once there I got it taken care of in about 2 minutes. About 12 mins total.

disneygeek90

My suggestion is to let the passholder decide when the remaining time on his or her pass should restart. When a passholder is comfortable with the conditions of use, then he or she can just use the pass at the gate or notify passholder services. That way, time is not running while a passholder feels the conditions (masks, reservations, etc.) are unacceptable.
Disney will need more ticket sales in the future to recover from the past few months and into the reduced capacity time. People holding onto their AP with 10 months remaining and coming by to use it in a year won't sit well for their future cash flow. Would they be sad if you let your pass expire this fall and then sign up for a brand new with no discount next summer? No way. That's likely what they want.

RaveOnEd

Looks like right now they're working with people who have reservations up to July 4, as far as seeing they want to modify or cancel reservations, according to Blog Mickey.

Wondering how things pan out for those folks, since there won't be any Disney parks open at that point.

CaptainAmerica

I pay the menu prices without much thought...no dining plan. I buy overpriced Disney drinks (too many...and yet not enough)...I buy Tommy Bahamas shirts in the hotels for poops and giggles...
Wearing that pink Mickey floral print at Aulani is a MOOD.

I've seen Disney language that the Boulder Ridge pool is for BR and CCV guests only. I don't remember where, but it was during my stay at CCV in May 2019. I'm not sure about enforcement. It could be tied to Magic Band, and I suppose it could be selectively enforced based on pool occupancy. I wouldn't be surprised if going forward it was kept exclusive to DVC guests due to capacity issues around social distancing.
That is not correct, at all.

...well that explains the maximum rates for July.

For the upteenth time: No one in zip code 32830 wants to be open. At all.
'Splain?

I wonder if Disney is watching closely how dead Universal is.
Of course they are. The question is what they're learning from it. Are they learning "people don't want to come to theme parks with mask requirements, social distancing, and limited attractions, so we should loosen restrictions" or are they learning "people don't want to be visiting theme parks because they're afraid of the virus, so we should tighten restrictions"?

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I wonder if Disney is watching closely how dead Universal is.
It could be that Universal's crowds are low because Disney isn't open. I wonder how many people come to Orlando just to go to Universal. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney overall was a bigger draw and that a significant number of people use a single trip to go to both Disney and Universal (and Seaworld).

Of course, there's people that are not going to go because they're concerned or because they don't like the restrictions, but I'm wondering how much the above is impacting as well.

Given that Disney is (currently) only opening (most) of the DVC resorts, it looks like they're expecting low attendance initially as well.
1. WDW still closed

There's a mandatory quarantine for visitors from the NY tri-state area. Those outside of the USA can't go yet.

The simple fact is the only people who can drop everything and show up to Universal right now are those who live a short drive away, and they normally don't make up a high % of daily visitors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom