News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

pdude81

I have a feeling we are finally going to see membership extras available to only truly direct members with a minimum of 150 points with ability for others to get access to those extras for a fee. They also have an obscene number of points on the books right now and are actually actively selling OKW/SSR/AKL with developer credits to try to unload some of the less desirable ones. But they have points across all resorts. I think some program is coming that has an intention to obliterate the resale market + allow new members to easily pick any home resort (and not just the new one).
But if they let resale pay to upgrade, then people would still be wiser to just buy the resale contracts and then pay the fees when they need to. This has to be a really interesting rubric if they do something like this.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So a Platinum Pass in early-2018 was $779 (less for renewals and DVC).

To get the equivalent in 2023 you have get Incredipass and add on the $99 photo package (included in old Platinum), for a total of $1498 now.

Even with a renewal discount, that’s quite an increase to be the only option for out-of-staters like me to consider when we may only make a trip 2 (maybe 3) times a year for four day weekends.

I used to feel motivated to figure out a way to make another impromptu trip here and there to get a little more bang for my buck (while spending loads more on WDW hotels, meals, etc). Now, it frankly seems like easier math to not renew, cut back to one trip a year with Disney parks and do a Universal weekend instead if I make it down a second time.
$654 in 2015 before any discounts, before $lappie was installed at the head of P&R. He jacked up AP prices by 85% in 4 years. An obvious 🖕 from Bob to anyone from out-of-town (or within a 3 hour drive) who dared try to visit more than a week per year and didn't pay for regular tickets.

Disney Glimpses

But if they let resale pay to upgrade, then people would still be wiser to just buy the resale contracts and then pay the fees when they need to. This has to be a really interesting rubric if they do something like this.
Yeah, I mean that must be a consideration for sure. I don't think they will allow people to upgrade the contracts; but to get access to certain benefits for an increased dues amount. So if your dues are $8 per point, they may be $21 per point for premium access, for example.

Whatever it is, it would likely not be in your best interest to just purchase resale; but a way for existing resale members (and potentially even grandfathered blue card members if they restrict complimentary access to only truly direct members) to get access.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I believe they are expecting a slower than originally expected summer. Resuming AP sales are an easy lever to increase attendance. Not sure how long they can rely on this new mechanism.
They have a lot of levers.

And with TRON, Cosmic Rewind, and HEA, there should be an uptick in demand, I would guess.

They could start Halloween Parties in June!!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, since I usually go to WDW at least twice a year, the cost of day-ticket for two 7-day trips including hopper is now as much as the Incredipass.

Sometimes I make those trips 9 days. With an AP, that's four free days!!

And if I go a third week, it's all free!!!

I can't afford *not* to buy an AP!!!!

donsullivan

Premium Member
How and why is that still a thing? Going to GS to renew is a massive pain.
I haven’t had to go to Guest Service for anything to do with a renewal for close to a decade now. That all stopped with the introduction of MDE. I renew online and then just keep using my media (in my case my Apple Watch) as normal without ever going to Guest Services.

trainplane3

I haven’t had to go to Guest Service for anything to do with a renewal for close to a decade now. That all stopped with the introduction of MDE. I renew online and then just keep using my media (in my case my Apple Watch) as normal without ever going to Guest Services.
For regular AP or DVC AP?

TrainsOfDisney

Tables in Wonderland pls
Only WDW would charge extra for passholders to get a discount at restaurants in the parks.
Or you're staying at a MK resort and are stuck waiting a hour in the very not shaded GS line outside MK.
An hour? I was at MK at park opening and had to wait to use a comp ticket…. It was like 20 minutes and that included me having to backtrack through the lines of people waiting at the gates!

trainplane3

Regular AP with Florida Resident Discount
That's why then. DVC AP renewal doesn't work like that. We can renew online but to actually activate the renewed pass requires a ticket window visit. It isn't a big deal when we stay at Boardwalk, IG GS is never busy.

Only times we have issues are arriving mid day at Bay Lake. Either deal with transit to Epcot or just wait at MK GS.

ToTBellHop

Do any DVC members know the answer to this.

If we purchase a voucher for an annual pass, my understanding is now we only have 1 year to “activate” it is that correct?

What happens if we don’t activate it within a year of purchase, do we just pay any difference in cost at that time?
You would just apply the amount paid to the AP cost a year later. That presumes it’s still on sale then. If it’s not, I don’t know.

ToTBellHop

Yeah that’s my fear. And if they aren’t on sale then what. Ah well guess I’ll just wait.
Yeah, not worth the risk. We have APs now but honestly need a break. So we will not visit after this summer until next summer. I won’t be renewing the AP but will get a new one in summer 2024 if I can. I guess if they are still on sale, I could buy one this fall and not activate it until next summer.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Yeah, not worth the risk. We have APs now but honestly need a break. So we will not visit after this summer until next summer. I won’t be renewing the AP but will get a new one in summer 2024 if I can. I guess if they are still on sale, I could buy one this fall and not activate it until next summer.
thats exactly my situation... heading down for a 12 day trip at the end of May and then my AP expires at the end of it. Not planning to renew... was planning to take next year off... we'll see. Alot depends on the AP by then and of course nothing else to crazy changing with Disney

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
So, since I usually go to WDW at least twice a year, the cost of day-ticket for two 7-day trips including hopper is now as much as the Incredipass.

Sometimes I make those trips 9 days. With an AP, that's four free days!!

And if I go a third week, it's all free!!!

I can't afford *not* to buy an AP!!!!
Have you gotten the phone calls notifying you about extending the warranty on your AP yet?

arich35

Wife are going for basically 6 days next month and have another week trip booked for January, thinking it might be best to buy the pass for this year. I wish I could go into January 2024 and see the ticket prices to see how much extra we would have to pay. We currently only have 3 day park hoppers for May which was $510 a piece (before tax) and were probably planning on 5 or 6 day park hoppers in January. Estimate probably about $1200ish before tax, does that sound right?
If we would buy I guess we would maybe fly down for a weekend or two randomly and take advantage of it since we also have the companion pass with Southwest. Might have to buy more DVC points lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom