News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
If Disney wants to be pro-environment and reduce plastic waste they can start by improving the quality of their plastic merch so it doesn’t all break within 6 months. I’ve already thrown out both plastic tumblers I bought on my trip in January.

LittleBuford

Planters for one tried to spin a glass to plastic conversion as pro-environment because the plastic was lighter and used less fuel to transport. But the glass was both recycled and recyclable while the plastic was virgin and effectively non-recycleable, like nearly all plastics people are told they can recycle.
Thanks. I wasn't aware of this example.

The whole reusable shopping bag thing has similar metrics if you dig. It does reduce 1 time plastic use but research shows that it overall increases both carbon and plastic usage because in the real world people don’t get enough reuses out of the Reusable bags to actually use less plastic overall than the disposable ones.
Bag bans and fees have worked pretty well in places where people have made the adjustment. Ireland, where there has been a plastic-bag levy since 2002, has seen real benefits.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

I find with this issue a lot of people start out being opposed to anything that is being touted as environmentally friendly. It's an ideological opposition that people then work backwards from to justify.

I've seen the same thing when it comes to eliminating plastic bags.

People will oppose this, and then argue that cloth bags are unsanitary, that they have to wash them frequently or they'll get sick, and that use of resources makes them worse than plastic.

And here I have been using cloth bags going on a decade, have never felt the need to clean them, and have not gotten sick from them to the best of my knowledge. People are just making up scenarios to justify their position.

Last edited:

Splash4eva

I find with this issue a lot of people start out being opposed to anything that is being touted as environmentally friendly. It's an ideological opposition that people then work backwards from to justify.

I've seen the same thing when it comes to eliminating plastic bags.

People will oppose this, and then argue that cloth bags are unsanitary, that they have to wash them frequently or they'll get sick, and that use of resources makes them worse than plastic.

And here I have been using cloth bags going on a decade, have never felt the need to clean them, and have not gotten sick from them to the best of my knowledge.

This is one of those issues where people have, bizarrely, taken a viewpoint because it's where their "side" falls, and aren't interested in facts or logic.
When everyone who calls plastic bags etc bad and try to “shame” or criticize others for wanting to use stop supporting some of the biggest offenders in China maybe ill take them seriously. Until than not so much i just posted an article about paper straws being just as bad if not worse…

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

This is one of those issues where people have, bizarrely, taken a viewpoint because it's where their "side" falls, and aren't interested in facts or logic.
indeed. Here’s a good fact based summary on that topic. https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/13/world/reusable-grocery-bags-cotton-plastic-scn/index.html

As an environmentalist, I wish instead of focusing their efforts on very unpopular things that even if successful wouldn’t make a dent, people/ companies/ governments would instead put their efforts towards (and spend their political capital on) rallying support for things that would actually matter, such as cleaner energy sources, smarter use (and pricing) of water, and improving the durability of products so less things get thrown away to begin with.

Nubs70

I don’t doubt this has happened, but when was it presented as being beneficial to the environment?

During the late 80's resulting from the save the rain forest campaign. Paper bags were the goto for decades then use was discouraged and curtailed in favor of thin film plastic bags.

Use a plastic bag and save a tree!

Use a paper bag and plant a tree would have been a better way to go.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
indeed. Here’s a good fact based summary on that topic. https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/13/world/reusable-grocery-bags-cotton-plastic-scn/index.html

As an environmentalist, I wish instead of focusing their efforts on very unpopular things that even if successful wouldn’t make a dent, people/ companies/ governments would instead put their efforts towards (and spend their political capital on) rallying support for things that would actually matter, such as cleaner energy sources, smarter use (and pricing) of water, and improving the durability of products so less things get thrown away to begin with.
I'm not an environmentalist and I'd support those things, they're just common sense.

Wendy Pleakley

When everyone who calls plastic bags etc bad and try to “shame” or criticize others for wanting to use stop supporting some of the biggest offenders in China maybe ill take them seriously. Until than not so much i just posted an article about paper straws being just as bad if not worse…

Deflection, another "debate" tactic.

"You're not sufficiently criticizing other polluters therefore you cannot complain about the issue from a local perspective."

Wendy Pleakley

Addressing something that is seen as a quick or small fix, such as straws, does not preclude those other things.

We've made lots of improvements in recycling over the years that go beyond small "unpopular" things.

The people complaining about straws complain about those big things too.

TrainsOfDisney

"You're not sufficiently criticizing other polluters therefore you cannot complain about the issue from a local perspective."
Yes and no… I get what you’re saying.

There are multiple issues here. If plastic straws are the problem, and indeed they seem to be a problem, then replace them with paper straws and be done.

But that’s not what is happening… the straws are being taken behind the counter. That’s a reduction in guest services.

To then call this a decision to help the environment, when far worse things are being done by Disney everyday…. That’s where I take issue.

Splash4eva

its the truth tho… just like all these rich folk and their private jets with their climate change agenda forcing it on the regular Joe meanwhile they will emit more emissions in a flight on their private jets then we will in a lifetime…. Read the article i posted about paper straws. Yea to me the whole plastic bag debate is a joke and comparing them to paper bags is like apples to oranges as they are not the same. My local supermarkets here in NY went back to plastic bags and i dk anyone who is upset about the decision which i think may tech be “illegal” in NY now. I lose track of the lunacy these days.

Splash4eva

There are multiple issues here. If plastic straws are the problem, and indeed they seem to be a problem, then replace them with paper straws and be done.

But that’s not what is happening… the straws are being taken behind the counter. That’s a reduction in guest services.

To then call this a decision to help the environment, when far worse things are being done by Disney everyday…. That’s where I take issue.
But this is Not a 1 for 1 swap. We are removing a plastic straw for an inferior product. Then again. This is Disney. So par for the course i guess!!! Think about it tho. Plastic utensils in plastic wrappings. Plastic all over the place and we think removing plastic straws is gonna make a significant difference lol. 🤷‍♂️.

Wendy Pleakley

its the truth tho… just like all these rich folk and their private jets with their climate change agenda forcing it on the regular Joe meanwhile they will emit more emissions in a flight on their private jets then we will in a lifetime…. Read the article i posted about paper straws. Yea to me the whole plastic bag debate is a joke and comparing them to paper bags is like apples to oranges as they are not the same. My local supermarkets here in NY went back to plastic bags and i dk anyone who is upset about the decision which i think may tech be “illegal” in NY now. I lose track of the lunacy these days.

Same thing. Deflection.

If private jets are an issue we should push for laws on minimum occupancy on flights or something.

Caring about other wasteful behaviour does not preclude caring about this.

Going on about hypocrisy among people who are wasteful is a distraction.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

But... but... they've removed 175 million plastic straws from the environment!!! (according to the card being displayed around property now)

Let's see... 400 lbs of CO2 per person flying into Orlando vs 175 million plastic straws. Which one of those gives better optics and virtue signals out its ***?

The long and short of this is - Disney isn't making a spit's worth of difference with this, except it helps their bottom line in some fractional way.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
IMG_1145.jpeg

BuddyThomas

Plastic straws do not biodegrade in nature. They end up clogging gutters, rivers, lakes, streams, and polluting our environment where they may persist for more than 200 years. It's estimated that 8 million tons of plastic ends up in the ocean each year, and 1.15–2.41 tons of it is carried there down major rivers around the world. But keep crying about paper straws!

Smiley/OCD

Plastic straws do not biodegrade in nature. They end up clogging gutters, rivers, lakes, streams, and polluting our environment where they may persist for more than 200 years. It's estimated that 8 million tons of plastic ends up in the ocean each year, and 1.15–2.41 tons of it is carried there down major rivers around the world. But keep crying about paper straws!
And neither does ALL the clamshell plastic for the multitude of Disney toys sold in the parks and yet NO ONE on here speaks out against that because it doesn’t fit anyone’s narrative.
Somehow I think if it were common practice to use straws in the consumption of alcoholic beverages, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

LittleBuford

And neither does ALL the clamshell plastic for the multitude of Disney toys sold in the parks and yet NO ONE on here speaks out against that because it doesn’t fit anyone’s narrative.
I'm happy to speak out against it. The more plastic waste Disney can eliminate, the better! My narrative is "doing something is better than doing nothing".

Somehow I think if it were common practice to use straws in the consumption of alcoholic beverages, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
I don't drink, so this doesn't apply to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom