News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

celluloid

The “all or nothing” framing is disingenuous, because it contradicts what all of us already practise on a daily basis.

Not for the same theme park resort. It exists in the same sphere. The diingenious thing is when it comes to direct impact of plastic straws, baloons should be bye bye. The difference is Disney does not make an 12 to 18 dollar plus profit margin on a paper straw.

You know, the other theme parks do not sell balloons at all or in the same way because the harm to the environment are known.

Straws even serve the occasional medical function for some to drink. While not common, that number is greater than the medical physical demand a baloon would deliver.

LittleBuford

Not for the same theme park resort. It exists in the same sphere. The diingenious thing is when it comes to direct impact of plastic straws, baloons should be bye bye. The difference is Disney does not make an 12 to 18 dollar plus profit margin on a paper straw.

You know, the other theme parks do not sell balloons at all or in the same way because the harm to the environment are known.

Straws even serve the occasional medical function for some to drink. While not common, that number is greater than the medical physical demand a baloon would deliver.
They’re welcome to get rid of the balloons too!

jaklgreen

And those blasted bubble blowers while you are at it. Those things can really make a mess on your camera lenses if you happen to be downwind.
I hate those things so much. My daughter has sensitivities to soaps and scents and we have to be very careful what we use. We even travel with all of our toiletries, TP, and bed sheets to avoid any issues. Those bubbles cause a rash if they land on her skin. Not fun.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Popcorn buckets.

Not only the plastic bucket itself but also the popcorn within.

The growing and propagation of the kernel to purchaser (ground preparation, seeding, pest control, irrigation, harvesting, transport to processing, packaging, transport to WDW, transport within WDW, preparation of the popped corn, carbon foorprint of the customer travel to WDW to purchase the bucket and popped corn, environmental impact of the wastewater treatment plant to process the byproducts of the popped corn, and the impact on the local water table from the wastewater discharge).

Popcorn buckets are a negative impact on the environment.
I may be behind the times here, but isn’t most corn production in the U.S. heavily subsidized? Sure, some of the impacts you mentioned would be mitigated, but I suspect those kernels are being grown, shipped, and processed whether the Mouse buys them or not.

LittleBuford

Never made sense to my family. Can't imagine a kid or parent who would rather then carry around a balloon than eat a little ice cream bar.
I actually get the appeal of balloons and was being only half serious. But should they decide to get rid of them one day, I don’t think it’ll be a great loss.

celluloid

They’re welcome to get rid of the balloons too!

Exactly. They are welcome to but have not since they make money.

Straws are a cost. One is a lot easier to do was my point. Both are known to be direct harm to animals. There is a reason you don't see reputable AZA Accredited venues selling them.

LittleBuford

Exactly. They are welcome to but have not since they make money.

Straws are a cost. One is a lot easier to do was my point. Both are known to be direct harm to animals. There is a reason you don't see reputable AZA Accredited venues selling them.
No argument from me! I don’t deny that Disney’s main motivation is money. But if they happen to take a cost-cutting step that’s also good for the environment, I’m all for it. No point letting perfection be the enemy of good.

LittleBuford

They could do good without lying to the consumer. It is not mutually exclusive.
I’m not sure what such candour would look like or achieve. Should Disney put out a press release announcing that they’re taking straws away in order to save money? And would people here be more sanguine about giving up their straws in the face of such honesty?

celluloid

I’m not sure what such candour would look like or achieve. Should Disney put out a press release announcing that they’re taking straws away in order to save money? And would people here be more sanguine about giving up their straws in the face of such honesty?

Some just expect them not to take stolen valor in it.

Fallacy of needing a press over this bolded. A press release is not necessary at all. It is not like the news is after WDW with a report on lack of straw availability.

Try again.

LittleBuford

Some just expect them not to take stolen valor in it.

Fallacy of needing a press over this bolded. A press release is not necessary at all. It is not like the news is after WDW with a report on lack of straw availability.

Try again.
I don’t understand your reply.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom