News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

celluloid

“Some just expect them not to take stolen valor in it.”
When things are asked or presented from the company, their reasoning is mentioned as environmental.

We know that is not the reason. PR team being good at spinning and untruthful are two different things. It can be a benefit, a good, but not the reason if they are being truthful.

Your post drafted a scenario where a PR would look bad.

Why is one needed?

LittleBuford

I have grown comfortable with Disney lying to me like they always have done.

If they started being truthful it wouldn’t feel right and I wouldn’t believe them anyway
We as consumers are “lied to” all the time, or at least subjected to spin that we have little trouble seeing beyond. I mentioned these signs before because they’re a familiar sight to us all:

il_794xN.2670257118_9jnb.jpg

We all know the impassioned “SAVE OUR PLANET” is a mere front for “Save our costs”, but what does it matter when the end result is indeed beneficial to the environment?

LittleBuford

When things are asked or presented from the company, their reasoning is mentioned as environmental.

We know that is not the reason. PR team being good at spinning and untruthful are two different things. It can be a benefit, a good, but not the reason if they are being truthful.

Your post drafted a scenario where a PR would look bad.

Why is one needed?
I still don’t fully understand, but you seem to be saying that Disney could have just removed straws without offering any reason for their decision. If that it what you’re saying, I agree with you, though such an approach would have provoked a flurry of questions from those wondering why their straws had been taken away.

celluloid

I still don’t fully understand, but you seem to be saying that Disney could have just removed straws without offering any reason for their decision. If that it what you’re saying, I agree with you, though such an approach would have provoked a flurry of questions from those wondering why their straws had been taken away.

No more than any other major cuts over time that go on just fine. Lying in a primary motive is never the necessary response.

celluloid

We as consumers are “lied to” all the time, or at least subjected to spin that we have little trouble seeing beyond. I mentioned these signs before because they’re a familiar sight to us all:

We all know the impassioned “SAVE OUR PLANET” is a mere front for “Save our costs”, but what does it matter when the end result is indeed beneficial to the environment?

This is called a Consensus tactic. Notice "You make" the choice. They did not just stop offering them and claim their reasoning. It for sure has a help them on the cost. But they are not giving one towel and saying deal with it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A pr person could simply say when asked ‘its an effort to reduce waste in our operations. Lids and straws sre still available through request, please just see a cast member”

No drama… no fluff… just too the point.

CaptainAmerica

Ironically, when I hung all my towels on the rack this past week at Animal Kingdom Lodge, they were replaced daily anyways.

LittleBuford

A pr person could simply say when asked ‘its an effort to reduce waste in our operations. Lids and straws sre still available through request, please just see a cast member”

No drama… no fluff… just too the point.
I agree this would have been a good (and probably the best) approach.

I think part of the reason I seem out of step with some of you is that I truly don't care about the reasoning Disney offered; only the result matters to me.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
what does it matter when the end result is indeed beneficial to the environment?
I will take this one. As an ardent environmentalist, I hate crap like this because
  1. its ratio of infuriating people to benefit is way off and turns people against the environmental movement, and makes it harder to rally support for things that actually matter
  2. a lot of the “environmental friendly” initiatives that companies do that are really cost savings are actively counterproductive, like replacing glass or cardboard packaging with plastic.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I will take this one. As an ardent environmentalist, I hate crap like this because
  1. its ratio of infuriating people to benefit is way off and turns people against the environmental movement, and makes it harder to rally support for things that actually matter
Fair point.

like replacing glass or cardboard packaging with plastic.
I don’t doubt this has happened, but when was it presented as being beneficial to the environment?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I don’t doubt this has happened, but when was it presented as being beneficial to the environment?
Planters for one tried to spin a glass to plastic conversion as pro-environment because the plastic was lighter and used less fuel to transport. But the glass was both recycled and recyclable while the plastic was virgin and effectively non-recycleable, like nearly all plastics people are told they can recycle.

The whole reusable shopping bag thing has similar metrics if you dig. It does reduce 1 time plastic use but research shows that it overall increases both carbon and plastic usage because in the real world people don’t get enough reuses out of the Reusable bags to actually use less plastic overall than the disposable ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom