News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

TrainsOfDisney

I think a more workable solution would be for Disney to provide cups that are stable enough to function without lids and for people who don’t need straws (which most of us don’t) to grow accustomed to drinking without them.
Why? Why is the solution not - continue to provide guests with lids, straws, napkins, etc.

Napkins are so hard to find often.

LittleBuford

Why? Why is the solution not - continue to provide guests with lids, straws, napkins, etc.

Napkins are so hard to find often.
Because handing them out when they’re not needed or wanted creates unnecessary waste.

Because the shift away from such waste is going to happen everywhere sooner or later regardless of how people feel about it.

(This does not apply to napkins, which should indeed be easy to find and, in my experience, are.)

Tony the Tigger

It’s like people don’t understand this is the way things are going.

Future generations won’t know any different, and will agree with the solution.

The perceived inconvenience of folks resistant to change is not high on the priority list.

TrainsOfDisney

It’s like people don’t understand this is the way things are going.

Future generations won’t know any different, and will agree with the solution.

The perceived inconvenience of folks resistant to change is not high on the priority list.
Change for what? The environment? You know Disney fireworks shows have got to be terrible for the environment so should we get rid of those?

TrainsOfDisney

ahhh so my question is a “yawn” so doesn’t deserve a reply? Gotcha.

I don’t even use straws! But I do think they should be available. I also like to have a lid for several reasons when at a Disney park.

If it’s for the environment Disney has lots of waste to eliminate. But we all know this is a $$$ thing.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Not sure if this was mentioned but.................
It was:
Excellent timing!

Here’s a link to the study itself:

Tha Realest

LittleBuford

Fireworks are probably worse for the environment than straws.

The very existence of WDW is bad for the environment. Pretty much all forms of human entertainment produce lots of waste that we could arguably forego (though no-one here is arguing that we should). But that shouldn’t stop us from recognising those adaptations we might reasonably make without significant detriment to our experience of the things we enjoy.

Basil of Baker Street

The very existence of WDW is bad for the environment. Pretty much all forms of human entertainment produce lots of waste that we could arguably forego (though no-one here is arguing that we should). But that shouldn’t stop us from recognising those adaptations we might reasonably make without significant detriment to our experience of the things we enjoy.
So you agree. Laser and projection shows in lieu of toxic fireworks.

Wendy Pleakley

People who cite other things like fireworks likely don't care about the environment, they're just using those things in an attempt to dismiss any arguments against something they don't want to give up, like straws.

Saying that fireworks are bad for the environment therefore we should have plastic straws, plastic bags, and never recycle, etc. is silly.

There's always going to be waste and negative environmental impacts. We should try and reduce those things where we can but address each on an individual case.

Fireworks have benefit in that they are entertaining. Plastic straws provide minor benefit, but I can easily make do without them. I just don't feel I need them in my life the way I might still want fireworks in my theme parks.

LittleBuford

People who cite other things like fireworks likely don't care about the environment, they're just using those things in an attempt to dismiss any arguments against something they don't want to give up, like straws.

Saying that fireworks are bad for the environment therefore we should have plastic straws, plastic bags, and never recycle, etc. is silly.

There's always going to be waste and negative environmental impacts. We should try and reduce those things where we can but address each on an individual case.

Fireworks have benefit in that they are entertaining. Plastic straws provide minor benefit, but I can easily make do without them. I just don't feel I need them in my life the way I might still want fireworks in my theme parks.
Thank you for saying it much better than I could.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom