News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

aladdin2007

Well paper straws cost more than plastic straws. But ditching the lids and not having them out (making people ask for them) is indeed $ driven.
yet Joffreys and San Angel Inn, along with other participants I imagine, offer the recycled straws and they are fine. Disney just doesn't want spending costs, that's all it is. Make the customer have to hunt, ask and plead,,just stupidity.

drizgirl

It was a cheap cost. Compared to everything else at Disney it was pretty negligible. If that $15 is going to break the bank then I have no business going to Disney. And if you are talking about the fact that Disney is taking more and more away from us then that is not anything that any of us will ever be able to change.
Not wanting to do this does not mean someone can't afford to do it.

G00fyDad

If that is because you personally prefer the hygiene of doing so, that's completely fine and your prerogative. But the idea that any customer forward establishment would require this is the problem. Disney is supposed to be better than this.
I brought the lids so our drinks did not spill while walking with them. And of course Disney is supposed to be better than this. Tell THEM that.

Marionnette

Has Disney eliminated all the individual soaps, shampoos, conditioners in favor of dispensers from the resorts. I have collected a fair amount over the years have no idea why guess reminder of past visits.
They had the individual tubes at the CCV cabins when we stayed there last November. BWV still had them as well. But I suspect that they will be slowly disappearing as the stockpile dwindles. They cut ties with H2O last year.

Disstevefan1

Excellent timing!

Laughing.png

AEfx

Excellent timing!

It's the same with most things that are considered "green replacements". In this case, in order to make them even half-functionable, they have to use toxic coatings and such that it's no better for the environment than what people had before, and it's all marketing/goodwill nonsense that doesn't mean a lick to actually help anything.

Drdcm

I’ve always found businesses that charge for bags/lids/straws in areas where it isn’t govt mandated to be somewhat sketchy. They use the argument that that it is environmentally friendly, but the charge isn’t a tax, so they can keep it as profit in many circumstances. What I would like to see, if it was really about the environment, I’d take those charges and donate them to environmental groups/causes. That’s rarely the case though.

Nubs70

It's the same with most things that are considered "green replacements". In this case, in order to make them even half-functionable, they have to use toxic coatings and such that it's no better for the environment than what people had before, and it's all marketing/goodwill nonsense that doesn't mean a lick to actually help anything.
Functional replacements are being developed such as bio engineered barrier coatings where bacteria are fermented and produce PHA internally. The bacteria is then stripped away, the PHA is concentrated then applied in a spray coating to the paper substrate. This product is fully biodegradable, compostable, and marine biodegradable. Starbucks is currently is final trial stages.

JoeCamel

Functional replacements are being developed such as bio engineered barrier coatings where bacteria are fermented and produce PHA internally. The bacteria is then stripped away, the PHA is concentrated then applied in a spray coating to the paper substrate. This product is fully biodegradable, compostable, and marine biodegradable. Starbucks is currently is final trial stages.
Ok, bring it to market and I'll see if it really is. Same has been said about similar products and a boy called wolf long ago so I can wait
Coating or not it is the same straw I fear

Last edited:

Aries1975

I used to be a lifeguard in the great lakes (Ontario specifically) and the number one plastic pollution we found on the beach from the water was tampon casings, and next was shotgun shell wads. The wads made sense because of duck hunting and stuff, but the tampons never made sense. I’m talking like 1000s a day would wash up after a storm.
Sometimes after a large storm, the water treatment plants cannot cope with the excess water and sewage is released untreated into waterways. This is particularly common in really old places which have their stormwater and wastewater combined in the same system. Tampons and their applicators should never be flushed.

Edited to add. After doing a few beach cleanups where inventorying the debris was strongly encouraged, the straws found were the kind usually attached to juice boxes and juice pouches. Most likely from beachgoers not being perfect with the “carry in - carry out”.

Last edited:

Nubs70

Ok, bring it to market and I'll see if it really is. Same has been said about similar products and a boy called wolf long ago so I can wait
Coating or not it is the same straw I fear
Do/have you eaten fast food?

Wrappers are full of PFAS

AEfx

I wonder how long before we learn that the "fermented bacteria produced PHA" is a carcinogen"? Or that they find out that the fermentation process creates some waste product that they thought was inert but is just as environmentally bad as the straw itself?

Tha Realest

I wonder how long before we learn that the "fermented bacteria produced PHA" is a carcinogen"? Or that they find out that the fermentation process creates some waste product that they thought was inert but is just as environmentally bad as the straw itself?
A few years after we’ve forced this poison into the bodies of hundreds of millions in the infallible name of science.

LittleBuford

Why be so pessimistic about it? You seem opposed in principle to the exploration of non-plastic alternatives, which makes no sense to me.

LittleBuford

A few years after we’ve forced this poison into the bodies of hundreds of millions in the infallible name of science.
No-one, least of all anyone who’s an actual scientist, is claiming that science is infallible. And none of us is in a position to refer with such snideness to a field of activity whose discoveries and insights we all benefit from hundreds, if not thousands, of times a day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom