News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

TheMaxRebo

My only question…
If plastic straws are sooo darn bad for the environment, and we’re replaced with paper straws, why were they still providing plastic lids instead of paper lids…?!?!?! 🤔:hilarious:

Suposedly straws are particularly bad due to the shape and they get into animals, particularly the noses of sea turtles. Same with like the plastic that holds six packs of soda together, they can tangle up with animals

So it isn't just what they are made out of by the shape vs the he plastic lids which don't cause these issues

donaldtoo

I was bein’ kinda’ silly, but, also tryin’ to make a point about knee-jerk decisions…
Because, there’s always a trade-off isn’t there…?!
I’ve heard people complain about their paper straws breakin’ down before they finished their drink, so they had to use yet another paper straw, even with polymers that were in the paper straws that were supposed to keep them from doin’ so.

Last edited:

John park hopper

There is absolutely nothing that man has done since the dawn of time that has not had a detrimental effect on the natural environment. As the human population grows to 9+ billion by 2050 it will only get worse. As humans increase other species decrease ----well maybe with the exception of rats

LittleBuford

I love scientists. My gripe is with pubic health zealots and non scientists number crunchers that force these changes on us in the name of science.
Change is necessary. That doesn’t mean there won’t be some missteps along the way, but our current usage of plastic just isn’t sustainable.

LittleBuford

I don’t agree, and not worth the trade offs. But you do as you please, and leave the rest of us out of it.
It’s difficult to leave others out of it when we’re all choosing to share our views in a forum!

I’m genuinely incredulous that you don’t agree that plastic usage needs to be reduced. At any rate, I won’t engage with you further on this topic.

Tha Realest

It’s difficult to leave others out of it when we’re all choosing to share our views in a forum!

I’m genuinely incredulous that you don’t agree that plastic usage needs to be reduced. At any rate, I won’t engage with you further on this topic.
You and others are free to express whatever opinion you want. I was talking about the public health dictates that remove that ability tor me and my family to use what products we want to.

i think the long term risks of Americans using plastic straws is virtually negligible compared to the waste of other countries, and gladly take on that risk versus the unknown carcinogens in this paper crap they foist on us. But again, knock yourself out if you choose to use those things.

donaldtoo

The plastic straw and lid industrial complex needs to be eliminated…!!!!! :hilarious:

A37438A5-AC9C-4127-8E66-624ED030C1FB.jpeg

Disstevefan1

“Hey oil and plastic thanks for all the great things you did that would otherwise be impossible without you.

Thank you for getting humankind to where we are now including the very device I am using RIGHT NOW to read this post, but it’s simply socially unacceptable to like you now.

Good bye, I will miss you”

Last edited:

LittleBuford

You and others are free to express whatever opinion you want. I was talking about the public health dictates that remove that ability tor me and my family to use what products we want to.

i think the long term risks of Americans using plastic straws is virtually negligible compared to the waste of other countries, and gladly take on that risk versus the unknown carcinogens in this paper crap they foist on us. But again, knock yourself out if you choose to use those things.
I’m not speaking as an American, for one thing because I’m not one, and for another because it’s a global problem that affects the whole of humanity.

Incidentally, if you’re so grievously concerned over excessive plastic usage, please please please stay out of the stores lining Main Street (or any other Disney park for that matter).
This is a childish argument that could be applied to just about anything (“If you’re so grievously concerned about road safety, please, please never get in a car again”). There’s a whole spectrum between the extremes you’re positing.

Anyway, I don’t think there’s much point continuing this exchange, so this really will be my last response to you in the present thread.

LittleBuford

“Hey oil and plastic for all the great things you did that would otherwise be impossible without you.

Thank you for getting humankind to where we are now including the very device I am using RIGHT NOW to read this post, but it’s simply socially unacceptable to like you now.

Good bye, I will miss you”
Who here has said that they dislike or won’t use plastic?

UNCgolf

The world is going to run out of straw because of this thread.

Straw, not straws. Different thing.

Last edited:

michmousefan

Encourages folks to seek out soda in bottles, which earns Disney a lot more money and creates a lot more waste.

I largely dismiss the concept of “virtue signaling,” but corporations and paper straws is about as close to a real example as you can get.
If Disney was really serious about reducing waste, then they would use their purchasing muscle with Coca Cola and tell them that in two years they will only sell vended beverages that come in aluminum cans. Despite the plethora of recycle bins in nearly everyone's driveways across the country... most plastic is not recycled, and eventually ends up in a landfill, either here or somewhere else on the planet.

FettFan

I think the main takeaway here is…. Unless you are physically unable to hold a cup, you don’t particularly need a straw to drink.

But if you do need one or want to use a straw, bring your own steel one from home. You can easily buy them from Wal Mart or Amazon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom