Walt Disney World to build 2,000-room Hotel: Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

Tom

Beta Return
This is true. I do not get what is up with Disney's transportation system lately. I honestly think that it has gotten to the point where they need to increase the fleet size. With more than 20 resorts, 2 water parks, 4 main parks at a strip mall to service I think the fleet of nearly 300 buses is a bit on the light size.

It definitely is at park closing time.

But really, if they had cameras at each bus depot so that a central dispatcher could see queues at all stops....and if they really used their computer GPS system to its capacity....they could do it with 200 buses.

fosse76

It definitely is at park closing time.

But really, if they had cameras at each bus depot so that a central dispatcher could see queues at all stops....and if they really used their computer GPS system to its capacity....they could do it with 200 buses.

I agree. It has more to do with the utilization of the buses they have. I remember my last trip, I waited 30 minutes for a bus to DAK. During that time, THREE busses for Downtown Disney showed up, transporting a total of ZERO passengers. Three busses to MK came by as well, the last one transporting ZERO passengers. Three busses for Epcot came by, picking up only handful of passengers each time. I think DHS only had one bus come by, and the DAK bus had a huge line. There needs to be better management of the system. If there is no one waiting for a particular destination, the bus driver should be required to pick up passengers for a different destination.

Ausdaddy

I agree. It has more to do with the utilization of the buses they have. I remember my last trip, I waited 30 minutes for a bus to DAK. During that time, THREE busses for Downtown Disney showed up, transporting a total of ZERO passengers. Three busses to MK came by as well, the last one transporting ZERO passengers. Three busses for Epcot came by, picking up only handful of passengers each time. I think DHS only had one bus come by, and the DAK bus had a huge line. There needs to be better management of the system. If there is no one waiting for a particular destination, the bus driver should be required to pick up passengers for a different destination.

My experience is the same. Four buses for DHS and two for DD before an AK bus showed up at GF. On the way home we stopped at Blizzard Beach, WL and Poly before getting to GF. Took over 45 minutes. Ridiculous considering the cost of GF.

RiversideBunny

The combined guest capacity of Pop plus Animation will be almost the exact same size as the 3 All Stars....

Are you sure you're right on that? If we figure that most of the rooms at the new AoA resort will be 6 person family suites then it would seem that the new resort could command its own bus route. Pop Century already has its own.
Is my math good?

Also, the 3 All Stars are very close to each other in terms of where the bus stops are. The new AoA resort and Pop Century are more distant and take more time.

:)

peter11435

Are you sure you're right on that? If we figure that most of the rooms at the new AoA resort will be 6 person family suites then it would seem that the new resort could command its own bus route. Pop Century already has its own.
Is my math good?

Also, the 3 All Stars are very close to each other in terms of where the bus stops are. The new AoA resort and Pop Century are more distant and take more time.

:)
The All-Star Resorts were originally designed to have 1920 rooms per resort for a total of 5760 rooms. Based on maximum capacity of 4 guests per room that would be 23,040 guests or 7,689 guests per resort.

Pop Century has 2880 guest rooms giving it a max capacity of 11,520.

Art of Animation will have 864 standard (4 person) guest rooms and 1120 (6 person)suites. This gives it a total capacity of 10,176 guests. Combined with Pop Century that would give the two resorts a capacity of 21,696. Thats 1344 guests less than the All-Star Resorts.

Tom

Beta Return
The All-Star Resorts were originally designed to have 1920 rooms per resort for a total of 5760 rooms. Based on maximum capacity of 4 guests per room that would be 23,040 guests or 7,689 guests per resort.

Pop Century has 2880 guest rooms giving it a max capacity of 11,520.

Art of Animation will have 864 standard (4 person) guest rooms and 1120 (6 person)suites. This gives it a total capacity of 10,176 guests. Combined with Pop Century that would give the two resorts a capacity of 21,696. Thats 1344 guests less than the All-Star Resorts.

Touche!

niteobsrvr

The changes everyone seeks are coming. Disney has never had anyone in their transportation department with significant experience in Transit operations, but thats about to change I imagine. For several months, starting late last year, Disney ran a ad for a Vice President of Transportation operations. One of the requirements of that position was 10 years of executive management experience in transit operations. Given that the ad has been delisted in the last 2 months, I would assume the candidate was chosen and will start shortly.

I can imagine a whole host of things will change over the next couple of years. Yes, it will likely take that long because Disney is a large geographically dispersed company with lots of vertical management separation. Nothing happens quickly in a company that size.

I can also imagine that the Teamsters, which is the Bus Driver's union, will fight tooth and nail to continue the status quo because overall this system works out very well for the drivers. Blue Flu types of shenanigans would not be surprising once things start rolling.

As for number of buses for the new resort and what may happen, please see my analysis below.

Two new busses? For 10,000 people at "full" occupancy? If you figured everyone were in the parks at close and 80 passengers to a bus it would take 125 bus trips to get everyone back to their resort. If a bus can make two trips in an hour and a half and you assume the goal is to move everyone in about that same amount of time after park close (fireworks), you would need approximately 30 to 40 busses minimum split amongst the parks assuming all parks were closing at about the same time. Since that rarely happens, the lower end number would be adequate and the higher number would be contracted out to third parties on high demand days.

In a nutshell, Disney has about 300 buses and that fleet will increase by about 10 percent prior to the opening of this new resort.

Rob562

From a reliable source in WDI, (though admittedly not directly connected with transportation):
"The current plan is for a shared bus line, two stops at each resort."

There was also talk of the current plan being to keep Pop Century as Pop Century, and folding the "missing" decades into the existing buildings and theming somehow.

-Rob

niteobsrvr

From a reliable source in WDI, (though admittedly not directly connected with transportation):
"The current plan is for a shared bus line, two stops at each resort."

-Rob

In this situation, I think the person at WDI is guessing. From a reliable source in transportation (not a bus Driver or other hourly cast member) I know that my numbers above are reasonably accurate and Disney will be increasing their fleet appropriately throughout next year. This is in addition to the already scheduled replacement of the older units in service.

There may be combined bus service during portions of the day at some of the parks, but during peak times the resorts will indeed be treated separately.

dclfan

The same thing happened to us on our trip last November. My family was at Epcot in the morning but my Mom wanted to go see the parade at AK and ride a few rides before our dinner at Epcot that night. My dad thought it would be quickest to take a bus, he was very wrong. We waited over 30 minutes for a bus, while a bus for every other park came multiple times. Not only that but the line for AK was the longest. Not only that but on our return to Epcot e expierienced the same problem. Once again the line for Epcot was the longest and the fewest buses. One of the bus drivers was finally smart enough to call dispatch and request an additional bus.

JEANYLASER

it's Art of Animation Resort! I can't wait to see when it's finished in the end of 2012! Oh! one more thing! Disney picks general contractor for Art of Animation Resort who did Disney Pick general contractor for Art of Animation Resort do you have some info about it?:confused:

Tom

Beta Return
Permit Filed for Construction Today

The official "permit" for the new Art of Animation Resort was filed today.

It includes a total of 18 buildings, as follows:

Bldg 1
Bldg 2
Bldg 3
Bldg 4
Bldg 5
Bldg 6
Bldg 7
Bldg 8
Bldg 9
Bldg 10
Bldg 11: Laundry & Restrooms
Bldg 12: Pool Equipment
Bldg 13: Laundry & Restrooms
Bldg 14: Pool Equipment
Bldg 15: Laundry & Restrooms
Bldg 16: Pool Equipment
Bldg 17: Commercial Building
Bldg 18: Linen Building

Rob562

Except for the Linen Building, that's consistent with Pop Century's layout. Each of the pools has a pair of buildings accompanying it, and the extra building is probably because AAR will be so far away from the facility that Pop uses (which it actually shares with Caribbean Beach next door, and mostly accesses through a tunnel under the Pop entrance driveway).

-Rob

hosewater

The linen building already has its footings on the back side of the 70s lot. They store clean linen there now. The original plan when Pop was 2-phased was to have a space for linen to be stored, dropped off and picked up by textile services. Right now, they use the back of the 50s parking lot for some of that, but there are still clean linens stored in the original spot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom