Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

legwand77

Imagine that.

Weren’t we meant to have extended hours and fireworks by now? According to some...
Sure , no fireworks but that is more due to cost savings at this point as they are doing projections. All the other parks have some form of fireworks and nighttime shows. I didn't think they would hold back due to costs but then again it is Disney. Then again dropping $40-$50K a night just for one show shortly after large layoffs is not a good look.

They have extended hours and capacity has been lifted a bit. More things being offered, more resorts opening up slowly, pretty much sold out Thanksgiving week etc etc.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sure , no fireworks but that is more due to cost savings at this point as they are doing projections. All the other parks have some form of fireworks and nighttime shows. I didn't think they would hold back due to costs but then again it is Disney. Then again dropping $40-$50K a night just for one show shortly after large layoffs is not a good look.

They have extended hours and capacity has been lifted a bit. More things being offered, more resorts opening up slowly, pretty much sold out Thanksgiving week etc etc.
They increased capacity from 25% to 35%. Not a very meaningful increase financially. I think that‘s probably the biggest driver of not having fireworks. 35% capacity isn’t profitable. They aren’t losing as much money as being closed but not turning a profit either. It’s not just generic cost cutting, it’s survival mode right now. I was hoping for some more insight into future earnings but they were pretty conservative with giving that out.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Sure, but that prediction things would be getting back to normality by now with hours and shows was way off the mark.

legwand77

Sure, but that prediction things would be getting back to normality by now with hours and shows was way off the mark.
Where have I ever said things will get back to normal by now, and even if I did it doesn't matter. I thought fireworks would be back at Disney but they are not, and missed it because of the cost involved. The need for some to personally attack me on multple posts and play gotcha on this board is really getting old.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Where have I ever said things will get back to normal by now, and even if I did it doesn't matter. I thought fireworks would be back at Disney but they are not, and missed it because of the cost involved. The need for some to personally attack me on multple posts and play gotcha on this board is really getting old.
Don’t believe I said it was you.

Unless you’re feeling twitchy?

Parker in NYC

Gotcha games are played with people who repeatedly spout untruths and expect folks to magically forget them.

legwand77

They increased capacity from 25% to 35%. Not a very meaningful increase financially. I think that‘s probably the biggest driver of not having fireworks. 35% capacity isn’t profitable. They aren’t losing as much money as being closed but not turning a profit either. It’s not just generic cost cutting, it’s survival mode right now. I was hoping for some more insight into future earnings but they were pretty conservative with giving that out.
Well it is an increase of 40% of the number of people actually in the park.

legwand77

Agree, and Disney is very good at being conservative except with their pricing ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well it is an increase of 40% of the number of people actually in the park.
It’s up from where it was, but there’s nowhere to go but up. The capacity is nowhere near where it needs to be to turn a regular profit yet especially when you consider how many restaurants aren’t fully open, how many hotel rooms are moth balled and how much merchandise sales are down. The parks themselves seem crowded despite the low capacity, but that’s due to the limited offerings and the ride capacity limits. The more people you let in now the longer the lines get and the bottlenecks in the parks. It’s going to be difficult to increase park capacity much more without adding back more stuff to do and/or removing distancing requirements. We all know that with a National surge in cases they aren’t going to be removing Covid safety restrictions. Seems like a safe bet that the holidays will come and go with a whisper not a bang for Disney (literally no bang without the fireworks 💥).

I think it’s a safe bet to assume Disney is looking towards Spring Break and especially Memorial Day as a potential ramp up period. If these vaccines come through and people start getting them that‘s when business can return to something closer to normal...God willing.

legwand77

It’s up from where it was, but there’s nowhere to go but up. The capacity is nowhere near where it needs to be to turn a regular profit yet especially when you consider how many restaurants aren’t fully open, how many hotel rooms are moth balled and how much merchandise sales are down. The parks themselves seem crowded despite the low capacity, but that’s due to the limited offerings and the ride capacity limits. The more people you let in now the longer the lines get and the bottlenecks in the parks. It’s going to be difficult to increase park capacity much more without adding back more stuff to do and/or removing distancing requirements. We all know that with a National surge in cases they aren’t going to be removing Covid safety restrictions. Seems like a safe bet that the holidays will come and go with a whisper not a bang for Disney (literally no bang without the fireworks 💥).

I think it’s a safe bet to assume Disney is looking towards Spring Break and especially Memorial Day as a potential ramp up period. If these vaccines come through and people start getting them that‘s when business can return to something closer to normal...God willing.
Agree 100%, clear they have written off 2020 holidays at this point, they might eke out a one off fireworks show NYE but a super long shot especially with the positive test numbers going up nationwide. The would have to drop significantly in the next week or so for that to happen and seriously doubt they will. You timeline is right on, spring break is the next focus as the vaccine rolls out. I have been to the parks multiple since they have been open but really have no desire to go now because of the lines and lack of things at this point. It was different and fun back in July/August/Sept now not quite so much. I will might stop in to see the decorations and that is a big maybe at this point.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agree 100%, clear they have written off 2020 holidays at this point, they might eke out a one off fireworks show NYE but a super long shot especially with the positive test numbers going up nationwide. The would have to drop significantly in the next week or so for that to happen and seriously doubt they will. You timeline is right on, spring break is the next focus as the vaccine rolls out. I have been to the parks multiple since they have been open but really have no desire to go now because of the lines and lack of things at this point. It was different and fun back in July/August/Sept now not quite so much. I will might stop in to see the decorations and that is a big maybe at this point.
I still think they should consider doing fireworks at DS for NYE out over the lake. Throw a bone to all those vendors who are paying big rent to Disney. Having fireworks at a park is not going to drive big revenue when you get a lot of locals with APs showing up for it. They couldn’t charge people to view at DS but it could make or break a restaurant or 2 and that’s a lot of future rent to lose.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom