Walt Disney World "Monstrous Summer" Press Event April 25th & 26th

DizFiz

Come on really they are milking every little bit off money they can out of Monsters Inc.... seriously I find it to be amusing.

RSoxNo1

I will eat my words if they announce a new attraction tomorrow, but a two day press event with invited media for what amounts to a 24 hour event and a couple of changes to a meet and greet and existing attraction is laughable.

For those keeping track at home, the last announced ride was Avatar on September 20, 2011 and we're no closer to that opening now, then we were then. Prior to that, it was January 18, 2011 when they officially announced the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and it's brisk 36-39 month build cycle.

Something like Test Track is a bigger deal than anything expected to be announced in this two day event, and as far as I remember that was announced on the Disney Parks Blog.

Captain Chaos

I will eat my words if they announce a new attraction tomorrow, but a two day press event with invited media for what amounts to a 24 hour event and a couple of changes to a meet and greet and existing attraction is laughable.

For those keeping track at home, the last announced ride was Avatar on September 20, 2011 and we're no closer to that opening now, then we were then. Prior to that, it was January 18, 2011 when they officially announced the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and it's brisk 36-39 month build cycle.

Something like Test Track is a bigger deal than anything expected to be announced in this two day event, and as far as I remember that was announced on the Disney Parks Blog.
Benches... a media event for BENCHES... why do you find this laughable? Disney press events are usually laughable :)

PeterAlt

Just logged on to see what the 'announcement' was for tonight. Fun enough and expected based on what's been reported here and elsewhere over the past few weeks/months. I didn't expect anything either than announcements geared at pursuading people to come over this summer anyway. Too bad the monstrous summer doesn't include any substantial new entertainment (i.e. a parade or the return of Spectro if the floats had survived their storage, a new night-time show, new stage show, etc.)

Anyway, I expect any real attraction announcements at D23, particularly after the semi-backlash that occurred after the D23 in 2011 that had even Tom Staggs posting on the Parks Blog recognizing the disappointment among fans regarding the lack of announcements for Disney World. I would anticipate if anything of substance is to be announced this year it will happen then. If not, I'll truly be disappointed.
If they ever had a Monsters ride in the works for DHS, then this is the event it would be announced.

So, either Monster DHS ride or no ride will be announced here.

doctornick

Seriously. It's been over 2 years since they actually have announced a new ride for WDW. Four parks. That's insane. I realize they are likely "saving" stuff for D23, but there should have been something actually announced and starter in the meantime.

(Heck, they could even announce the name/theme of a ride and start construction, but have the specific details of the ride revealed at D23.)

If they ever had a Monsters ride in the works for DHS, then this is the event it would be announced.

So, either Monster DHS ride or no ride will be announced here.

I'd love to see it. As I've said previously, building a Monsters Inc. ride in Soundstage 1 of DHS (whether the door coaster or something else) would be relatively easy to do and would help get something open soon for the time if/when BLT and LMA are closed to re-purpose that space.

PeterAlt

Seriously. It's been over 2 years since they actually have announced a new ride for WDW. Four parks. That's insane. I realize they are likely "saving" stuff for D23, but there should have been something actually announced and starter in the meantime.

(Heck, they could even announce the name/theme of a ride and start construction, but have the specific details of the ride revealed at D23.)

I'd love to see it. As I've said previously, building a Monsters Inc. ride in Soundstage 1 of DHS (whether the door coaster or something else) would be relatively easy to do and would help get something open soon for the time if/when BLT and LMA are closed to re-purpose that space.
It could happen. I'm not betting on it, given all the disappoint media events lately. If it does, I'll organize an event to meet everyone who could go at the Top of the World at the Contemporary and have a first round of shots on me!

TP2000

Al Lutz told us about the 24 hour event in early March...

Yes, and it had been discussed heavily on West Coast-based Disneyland boards for the past month because of that original Al Lutz scoop.

It seems more of the East Coasters into WDW weren't aware of it, even though Lutz had talked about it in March and specifically mentioned they would do a similar event for WDW too. I always wonder... do the suits get all upset when Lutz scoops them on stuff weeks and weeks beforehand? Or do they enjoy the publicity wherever they can get it? o_O

TP2000

For those keeping track at home, the last announced ride was Avatar on September 20, 2011 and we're no closer to that opening now, then we were then.

And not a single piece of concept art for anything Avatarland related.

Not even one of those unspecific sketches taken from the clouds with lots of misty-vague images seen from above. Not a shred of artwork for Avatarland, unless you count the photo of some guys standing around a table of green Styrofoam blocks. Plus, not even the first whiff of diesel fumes from a single bulldozer moving some dirt around.

It's been almost 20 months since the Avatarland announcement, and not a thing has happened or been released about it. That's just weird.

PeterAlt

And not a single piece of concept art for anything Avatarland related.

Not even one of those unspecific sketches taken from the clouds with lots of misty-vague images seen from above. Not a shred of artwork for Avatarland, unless you count the photo of some guys standing around a table of green Styrofoam blocks. Plus, not even the first whiff of diesel fumes from a single bulldozer moving some dirt around.

It's been almost 20 months since the Avatarland announcement, and not a thing has happened or been released about it. That's just weird.
If you read the Disney 2012 Annual Stock Report, Iger mentions the Avatar announcement as a deal between James Cameron's company and Fox for the exclusive World-wide theme park rights for Avatar and its sequels, in which DAK would be the first theme park to use these new rights. So, the announcement was more about the deal rather than the project. It is said that the average big WDI project takes around five years to design and engineer before the 'dozers start moving dirt. That said, considering that NO work had been done on the project prior to that announcement, hang in there. The Imagineers are working their magic in an office somewhere. Let them do their jobs. Rushing it will only degrade its potential quality. When all the models are built and all the blue prints are complete, we'll hear another announcement - this one will be about the details and that construction is about to start.

Usually when WDI starts a big project, no one knows about it except for those that have leaked. Five years later, Disney will announce it to most people's surprise. Avatar was unusual in that it was announced before WDI started work on it. I guess it had to be announced then because, as I stated, the announcement was for the business deal Disney made with Fox and Cameron's company. Had Avatar been a Touchstone picture, for example, WDI would be working on it in secret now and no one would know about, other than leaks in the rumor mill.

PirateFrank

If you read the Disney 2012 Annual Stock Report, Iger mentions the Avatar announcement as a deal between James Cameron's company and Fox for the exclusive World-wide theme park rights for Avatar and its sequels, in which DAK would be the first theme park to use these new rights. So, the announcement was more about the deal rather than the project......

My memory of the announcement was clear. It was an announcement where the predominant announcement was Avatarland *in* the Animal Kingdom not the deal between JC, Fox and Disney . To say "woah, it really wasnt about avatar land, it was really more about the deal..." is backpedaling after the fact -- and it doesn't matter if it's you, a bus driver or Bob effin Iger who says it. If Iger mentioned this in the MD&A of the '12 report (I'll take your word on that, as it's too early to pull up the report and read it), this was already a full year since the announcement and clear indication of trouble a scant year after the project was announced to the public.

I agree that some time is required once a project is green-lit, before dirt gets moved. Heck, I've been planning a construction project on my home for approximately 18 months and if I'm lucky....VERY luck, I might get to see the first hammer swing next week. I also agree that this particular project was announced in a very strange timeline, given the fact that no planning had gone into the project prior to Iger getting out in front of a mic and going "Avatarland is coming!" ....but make no mistake, the anouncement was about avatarland and 'the deal' was definitely buried in the footnotes when the announcement was made.

Here's a counter example....while it has still been a longer than usual construction project, look at the seven dwarves mine coaster. Here's an example of an attraction that was pulled out of Stagg's keister to hastily fix what would have been a near abortion of a fantasyland expansion, with meet and greets as bad, or worse, than Enchanted Tales with Belle, for every princess in the MK. So they hastily slapped together this coaster and put it together. If I recall, the announcement for this coaster was the *same* year as avatarland---look where they are with the coaster and look where they are with avatarland.

Something has been fishy about Avatarland since the day it was announced. I'm not the only one that smells a rat here. On any given day, 50% of the people on this board thing something is very strange about this project. The way it was announced, the way it progressed, the way it has affected AK in other ways (anyone wanna tell me where Joe Rhode was on the 15th? anyone?). Something's strange.

PeterAlt

My memory of the announcement was clear. It was an announcement where the predominant announcement was Avatarland *in* the Animal Kingdom not the deal between JC, Fox and Disney . To say "woah, it really wasnt about avatar land, it was really more about the deal..." is backpedaling after the fact -- and it doesn't matter if it's you, a bus driver or Bob effin Iger who says it. If Iger mentioned this in the MD&A of the '12 report (I'll take your word on that, as it's too early to pull up the report and read it), this was already a full year since the announcement and clear indication of trouble a scant year after the project was announced to the public.

I agree that some time is required once a project is green-lit, before dirt gets moved. Heck, I've been planning a construction project on my home for approximately 18 months and if I'm lucky....VERY luck, I might get to see the first hammer swing next week. I also agree that this particular project was announced in a very strange timeline, given the fact that no planning had gone into the project prior to Iger getting out in front of a mic and going "Avatarland is coming!" ....but make no mistake, the anouncement was about avatarland and 'the deal' was definitely buried in the footnotes when the announcement was made.

Here's a counter example....while it has still been a longer than usual construction project, look at the seven dwarves mine coaster. Here's an example of an attraction that was pulled out of Stagg's keister to hastily fix what would have been a near abortion of a fantasyland expansion, with meet and greets as bad, or worse, than Enchanted Tales with Belle, for every princess in the MK. So they hastily slapped together this coaster and put it together. If I recall, the announcement for this coaster was the *same* year as avatarland---look where they are with the coaster and look where they are with avatarland.

Something has been fishy about Avatarland since the day it was announced. I'm not the only one that smells a rat here. On any given day, 50% of the people on this board thing something is very strange about this project. The way it was announced, the way it progressed, the way it has affected AK in other ways (anyone wanna tell me where Joe Rhode was on the 15th? anyone?). Something's strange.
I hear you. Yeah, that is odd that Rhodes decided not to show. I wonder if Baxter's early retirement is related? The 2012 report is online, by the way.

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/investors/financial-information
Direct link --> http://cdn.media.ir.thewaltdisneycompany.com/2012/annual/10kwrap-2012.pdf

Here's the part I mentioned (page 9):

"In September 2011, the Company announced an agreement with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment for the exclusive global theme park rights to create themed lands based on the AVATAR franchise with the first land planned for Disney’s Animal Kingdom."

peter11435

AVATAR at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Announcement Press Release

BURBANK (September 20, 2011) – Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Worldwide is joining forces with visionary filmmaker James Cameron and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the world of AVATAR to life at Disney parks. Through an exclusive agreement announced today by Disney, Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox, Disney will partner with Cameron and producing partner Jon Landau to create themed lands that will give theme park guests the opportunity to explore the mysterious universe of AVATAR first hand. Disney plans to build the first AVATAR themed land at Walt Disney World, within the Animal Kingdom park. With its emphasis on living in harmony with nature, Animal Kingdom is a natural fit for the AVATAR stories, which share the same philosophy. Construction is expected to begin by 2013.

“James Cameron is a groundbreaking filmmaker and gifted storyteller who shares our passion for creativity, technological innovation and delivering the best experience possible,” said Robert A. Iger, President and CEO of The Walt Disney Company. “With this agreement, we have the extraordinary opportunity to combine James’ talent and vision with the imagination and expertise of Disney.”

“AVATAR created a world which audiences can discover again and again and now, through this incredible partnership with Disney, we’ll be able to bring Pandora to life like never before. With two new AVATAR films currently in development, we’ll have even more locations, characters and stories to explore,” said James Cameron. ”I’m chomping at the bit to start work with Disney’s legendary Imagineers to bring our AVATAR universe to life. Our goal is to go beyond current boundaries of technical innovation and experiential storytelling, and give park goers the chance to see, hear, and touch the world of AVATAR with an unprecedented sense of reality.”

The agreement announced today gives The Walt Disney Company exclusive global theme park rights to the AVATAR franchise and provides for additional AVATAR themed lands at other Disney parks. The other locations will be determined by Disney and its international theme park partners. James Cameron, Jon Landau and their Lightstorm Entertainment group will serve as creative consultants on the projects and will partner with Walt Disney Imagineering in the design and development of the AVATAR themed lands.

“This exciting new venture combines the world of AVATAR with the enormous reach of Disney and the incomparable talent of Jim Cameron,” commented Fox Filmed Entertainment chairmen Jim Gianopulos and Tom Rothman. “While Jim is bringing audiences further into Pandora with the next two chapters in the AVATAR motion picture saga, the theme park attraction will likewise bring a new dimension to the amazing universe he created.”

“AVATAR is a uniquely powerful franchise that has global appeal with audiences of all ages. Its spectacular settings, intriguing characters, imaginative creatures, and strong themes of family and loyalty make it a perfect fit for Disney,” said Thomas O. Staggs, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “We can’t wait to give our guests the ability to journey to Pandora and explore the incredible immersive world of AVATAR in person.”

In addition to setting a global box office record, AVATAR has been hailed as one of the most innovative and visually stunning movies ever produced. With its advanced motion capture and 3-D digital projection technologies developed by James Cameron and his team, moviegoers were able to connect with the world of AVATAR in new and engaging ways.

This new venture complements Walt Disney Parks & Resorts’ strategic efforts to continue to invest in its core theme park businesses around the world while simultaneously expanding into other parts of the family vacation business.

Proof that people only see, hear, and remember what they want to. The original announcement was clearly about the deal between Disney and Cameron. The Animal Kingdom project is briefly mentioned in one paragraph where it clearly states that counstruction would not begin until 2013. Its amazing how soon we forget.

Malin

Any big announcements should be kept for the D23 Expo. So it can be shared with the fans first. Day 2 begins very shortly.

RSoxNo1

The one thing about Avatar that has come out since were the blueprints that got out last year. Those were valid plans, but it seems like plans have changed since then and the boat ride is no longer on the table.

tissandtully

Disney Parks blog has some info on the tech behind the MW Projection mentioning they used 8 35K projectors and that Mike was animated by Pixar specifically for this event. That's pretty cool. The 35k in this case refers to the brightness of the projectors rather than the resolution, no 35k res. projectors exist yet that I know of!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom