Walt Disney World "Monstrous Summer" Press Event April 25th & 26th

DocMcHulk

Disney Parks blog has some info on the tech behind the MW Projection mentioning they used 8 35K projectors and that Mike was animated by Pixar specifically for this event. That's pretty cool. The 35k in this case refers to the brightness of the projectors rather than the resolution, no 35k res. projectors exist yet that I know of!
I watched the video and thought the same thing about 35k. i thought: "wait, they make projectors with that high of Res???" I was pretty sure they didnt. 35k is pretty bright, but to throw as far as they needed to, it's necessary. I imagine the castle projection uses similar.

tissandtully

I watched the video and thought the same thing about 35k. i thought: "wait, they make projectors with that high of Res???" I was pretty sure they didnt. 35k is pretty bright, but to throw as far as they needed to, it's necessary. I imagine the castle projection uses similar.

Right, and even then, I'm pretty sure these were Christie HD+35K projectors which are "only" 2k projectors that cost $160k each. I'm sure that's all they need though. :)

TP2000

Usually when WDI starts a big project, no one knows about it except for those that have leaked. Five years later, Disney will announce it to most people's surprise. Avatar was unusual in that it was announced before WDI started work on it. I guess it had to be announced then because, as I stated, the announcement was for the business deal Disney made with Fox and Cameron's company. Had Avatar been a Touchstone picture, for example, WDI would be working on it in secret now and no one would know about, other than leaks in the rumor mill.

Valid points on how unique the Avatar agreement was, and the timing was weird too. But Iger/Staggs/Cameron announced the "deal" themselves at D23 Expo in September, 2011 at the Anaheim Convention Center specifically as a way to announce the new land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom. With construction to start "in 2013".

I think it's safe to say that construction won't start this year, and it's still weird that not a shred of concept art has been released on this thing.

The next D23 Expo is at the Anaheim Convention Center on August 9th-11th. That's barely three months from now. The sprawling WDI Pavilion is always a hit on the Expo exhibit floor, and the keynote Parks & Resorts presentation in the 10,000 seat Anaheim Arena is always a sell-out. If they don't have at least a short series of general Avatarland concept art at D23 Expo, I think we'll know the project has seriously gone off the rails and it was all just a jealous fling Iger and Staggs got into because Universal has Potter.

The other thing that's happened since Avatarland was announced in 2011 is that Cars Land opened. And it proved to be far more popular and financially successful than even the optimists had hoped. Cars Land for DHS might be the way they save face at D23 Expo when they don't mention Avatarland.

Animaniac93-98

The other thing that's happened since Avatarland was announced in 2011 is that Cars Land opened. And it proved to be far more popular and financially successful than even the optimists had hoped. Cars Land for DHS might be the way they save face at D23 Expo when they don't mention Avatarland.

But who is going to get excited about a watered-down Cars Land coming to Florida when the real thing is open now and within walking distance of the Centre?

My guess is that there will be much more of a focus on Shanghai and/or other things.

TP2000

But who is going to get excited about a watered-down Cars Land coming to Florida when the real thing is open now and within walking distance of the Centre?

Hmm.... Maybe you're right. The Anaheim Arena of the massive Anaheim Convention Center sits literally in the shadows of the 180 foot tall Cadillac Range directly across Katella Avenue. They could play it off like "It's been so successful across the street, we want to bring it to other audiences". And yet...

This will be an interesting D23 Expo to attend! I wouldn't be surprised though if this is the last big Expo they do. The D23 thing never quite took off, and the Expo is still shadowed by stuff like ComicCon down in San Diego each year, or the growing WonderCon annually at the Anaheim Convention Center.

If it weren't for the huge WDI Pavilion, AKA "The Carousel of Projects", there wouldn't be much buzz about D23 Expo at all. A few of the archives exhibits or geeky presentations are cool, but the rest of it just never took off. Unless you are just a hardcore "EVERYTHING DISNEY IS FABULOUS!" kind of superfan. And I'm not.

It still makes me chuckle when East Coasters wonder why they won't move D23 Expo to WDW, as they have absolutely no idea the scale of what they are doing there in the largest convention center on the West Coast, right across the street from Disneyland. I think Disney thought fans from back east would fly in for D23 Expo, but few do. They just can't get them to leave the humidity and fly over the Rockies in August, cause, you know, there are so few flights into LAX. :D

Has there even been a new D23 magazine lately? I noticed last week the stores in Cars Land and Disneyland's Main Street are still selling the "Fall 2012" issue of D23 Magazine. Did the mag get shut down in advance of winding down the whole concept? Hmm....

RSoxNo1

Valid points on how unique the Avatar agreement was, and the timing was weird too. But Iger/Staggs/Cameron announced the "deal" themselves at D23 Expo in September, 2011 at the Anaheim Convention Center specifically as a way to announce the new land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom. With construction to start "in 2013".
Nope, it was announced on September 20, 2011, more than a month after the D23 Expo.

I think it's safe to say that construction won't start this year, and it's still weird that not a shred of concept art has been released on this thing.

The next D23 Expo is at the Anaheim Convention Center on August 9th-11th. That's barely three months from now. The sprawling WDI Pavilion is always a hit on the Expo exhibit floor, and the keynote Parks & Resorts presentation in the 10,000 seat Anaheim Arena is always a sell-out. If they don't have at least a short series of general Avatarland concept art at D23 Expo, I think we'll know the project has seriously gone off the rails and it was all just a jealous fling Iger and Staggs got into because Universal has Potter.

In 2011, the Parks and Resorts presentation was the second arena presentation on Day 1. Assuming that remains the same, I would expect them to have major announcements during the presentation, and potentially concept art or models visible at an exhibit similar to the Carousel of Projects from 2011 after the presentation. The other option is to have the Carousel of Projects type exhibit focus largely on Shanghai or Paris where construction is currently taking place.

RSoxNo1

Hmm.... Maybe you're right. The Anaheim Arena of the massive Anaheim Convention Center sits literally in the shadows of the 180 foot tall Cadillac Range directly across Katella Avenue. They could play it off like "It's been so successful across the street, we want to bring it to other audiences". And yet...

This will be an interesting D23 Expo to attend! I wouldn't be surprised though if this is the last big Expo they do. The D23 thing never quite took off, and the Expo is still shadowed by stuff like ComicCon down in San Diego each year, or the growing WonderCon annually at the Anaheim Convention Center.

If it weren't for the huge WDI Pavilion, AKA "The Carousel of Projects", there wouldn't be much buzz about D23 Expo at all. A few of the archives exhibits or geeky presentations are cool, but the rest of it just never took off. Unless you are just a hardcore "EVERYTHING DISNEY IS FABULOUS!" kind of superfan. And I'm not.
The Expo sold out on at least one day in 2011, and they're expanding capacity this time around. Having said that, there are areas of the company that didn't like participating. If they use it as a showcase for theme parks and movies that might be the best approach going forward. However, I have no idea what they'd plan for Parks and Resorts panels beyond the arena presentations with no real construction going on stateside outside of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and potentially Avatar. I could see some "Making of" Fantasyland panels, and maybe one on Avatar but I would expect many of the other panels would focus on theme parks history as opposed to the future.

Let's assume Cars Land is coming to DHS, unless they're coming up with different concepts for Cars Land there isn't much to tell about it. If I'm putting together the presentation for Parks and Resorts, I'd save Cars Land for the Apple style, "one more thing" at the end of the presentation. At 3 1/2 months out I think the following are possible for for the P&R presentation:

Updates
  • Grand Floridian DVC Update
  • Cruiseline refurbishment Updates
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Updates
Updates with Substantial New Information
  • Phase 2 at Aulani
Potential announcements
  • Attraction lineup for Avatar (linked with the previous item)
  • Polynesian DVC
  • Monster's Inc Coaster for DCA and possibly DHS
  • Show Changes at DHS
  • Nighttime Entertainment Changes in Florida
  • New Tomorrowland attraction for Disneyland?
  • Jerry Rees Epcot project
  • Carsland for DHS

Animaniac93-98

Has there even been a new D23 magazine lately? I noticed last week the stores in Cars Land and Disneyland's Main Street are still selling the "Fall 2012" issue of D23 Magazine. Did the mag get shut down in advance of winding down the whole concept? Hmm....

I have the Spring 2013 mag, I assume a Summer one is still coming.

edrho

Disney Parks blog has some info on the tech behind the MW Projection mentioning they used 8 35K projectors and that Mike was animated by Pixar specifically for this event. That's pretty cool. The 35k in this case refers to the brightness of the projectors rather than the resolution, no 35k res. projectors exist yet that I know of!
Isn't that the same mike roddy who used to be at universal. I remember him being associated with Halloween horror nights.

PeterAlt

Nope, it was announced on September 20, 2011, more than a month after the D23 Expo.

In 2011, the Parks and Resorts presentation was the second arena presentation on Day 1. Assuming that remains the same, I would expect them to have major announcements during the presentation, and potentially concept art or models visible at an exhibit similar to the Carousel of Projects from 2011 after the presentation. The other option is to have the Carousel of Projects type exhibit focus largely on Shanghai or Paris where construction is currently taking place.
They'll most likely talk about Mystic Manor this year.

jt04

Obviously any major announcements would be saved for D23 in a few months. We go through this every time.

FOTLK is in the process of moving and rumor has it that there is new construction fencing behind RFC, so you are likely wrong about that too.

And the meme that WDW only gets hand-me-down parades is wrong. Not sure who keeps pushing that silly rumor.

Steve would not have started the new Pandora thread if it wasn't happening.

wdwfan4ver

They'll most likely talk about Mystic Manor this year.
I disagree. I am going by 2011 D23. The 2011 D23 didn't talk about Attractions that opened earlier in the year unless Mystic Manor comes to the states.

The other thing is The 2011 D23 Expo didn't mention anything about Hong Kong Disneyland despite being middle of an expansion at the time. That means don't expect anything from Hong Kong Disneyland being talked about a D23 unless the attraction goes to Disney Land or WDW also.

HenryMystic

The other thing is The 2011 D23 Expo didn't mention anything about Hong Kong Disneyland despite being middle of an expansion at the time. That means don't expect anything from Hong Kong Disneyland being talked about a D23 unless the attraction goes to Disney Land or WDW also.
The HKDL projects were showcased at the 2009 expo though. If they can agree on the Marvel and by then, I'd bet on that. It would be good for the shareholders to see.

jt04

I disagree. I am going by 2011 D23. The 2011 D23 didn't talk about Attractions that opened earlier in the year unless Mystic Manor comes to the states.

If WDW gets a Mystic Manor-ish attraction I hope it goes to World Showcase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom