Walt Disney World "Monstrous Summer" Press Event April 25th & 26th

John

The Limited Time Magic promotion was for a more limited time then we let on.

The limited effort put into the Limted Time Magic resulted in its limited run. Sorry if your vacation wasnt scheduled to the Limited days it was offered...but be sure that on Wednsday and Thursday we will be sure to announce more Limited information that will be about more Limited offerings.

TP2000

The Limited Time Magic promotion was for a more limited time then we let on.

That would be the smart thing to do.

But Al Lutz in his Miceage column yesterday said the "Monstrous Summer All Nighter" (what Lutz now says is the actual title of the event) will be rolled out on Thursday specifically as part of Limited Time Magic. They won't let it die.

PeterAlt

They'll announce -

- A replacement for Imagination
- A new attraction for the WoL pavilion
- An update for Ellen's Energy Crisis
- Mt Fuji and bullet train for Japan
- A Switzerland pavillion with Matterhorn Mt
- An ending for SSE
- Russia pavilion
- Spain pavilion
- Great Muppet Movie Ride for DHS
- Monsters ride
- Cars Land and RSR
- Incredibles ride
- Fire Mountain
- In-vehicle audio system for Space Mountain
- Tron ride
- Australia for DAK
- Monorail expansion property-wide
- Fifth theme park
- Sixth theme park
- Third water park
- Marvel deal with Comcast
- Iger's imminent resignation
- Kathleen Kennedy as new CEO

... Okay, that's some heavy wishful thinking on my part! BUT, there was a time when HUGE announcements like this one that I'm dreaming of were made! See the 90's Disney Decade announcement. While a good amount of that announcement never happened, a good amount of it did! Why can't we return to those days?!

PirateFrank

What drives me nuts is that this entire industry is all about pagehits anymore.

I hate to say it, but it was *always* about page hits. My first career (backend website development) kicked off in the early 90s long before most people even knew what the world wide web was... Even back then, the pagehit/site impression ruled the roost. It was as much of a useless measure then as it is now. During the first decade of the internet industry, ROI was measured with assumptions centered around this useless measure, but very few people actually measured true conversion rates from site-impressions or page hits. They didn't need to. Internet-centric companies were trading as high as several hundred dollars a share without turning a profit for years or worse, no actual revenues at all. Why bother with actual measures of conversion if you don't need to show a profit? Just as long as the VC comes through!!!

I've long since left that field (largely because of the hubris I outlined above), returned to school and launched a new career -- you can safely say I've been removed 8-9 years from the internet industry and it galls me that these same nebulous, shoddy measures of roi are still used. "Who cares how much money the site actually makes...I've got x-thousand page hits per day." "yeah, but how much actual money have you made?" "well, thats not the point, we've got a podcast!!" :confused:

At the end of the day, you need a product or service to sell to have a successful business -- anywhere. If your website isn't the actual product or service, then it's sole purpose is to support your product or service. I never understood the efforts by these blogger/life-stylers. They have no product or service...what are they supporting? egos? child-hood fantasies?

PirateFrank

I don't get the hatred for the wraps.

1. They're different.
2. They're temporary.
3. They're more visually stimulating than white with a strip.
4. They're always current.
5. Kids love them.
6. They're Disney branded (unlike Epcot sponsors).
7. Walt himself was a fan and innovator of cross-promotion.
8. They're relatively cheap (no major diversion of resources).

To touch on #4 a bit...my 10-year old son *loves* the wraps. Thanks to the geek-centric video library of his father, he was a huge fan of Tron long before Tron Legacy came out. When we got down to WDW when the tron-o-rail was out -- he was of single minded purpose to either get on that train or take pictures of it. Screw POTC, SSE or Haunted Mansion...he wanted to ride the tron-o-rail. I tried explaining to him that it was just Coral with a fancy paint job (I know it was a wrap, but to a 7 year old the distinction isn't there), he didn't care.

So when the Avengorail came out, same level of excitement --- and last year, he got my 6 year old daughter into it too. Every time we walked up to the station, she wanted to sit where Black Widow was on the outside of the train. Tears flew if she couldn't sit there....and utter joy and excitement if we actually got the opportunity.

When I recently showed my son and daughter a picture of the new Iron-rail, both their eyes bugged out.

They now know it's just one of the monorails....but they dont care. It's literally like an attraction to them.

So I now get it regarding these wraps. I know people think they're ugly..and I actually initially felt that way, but seeing how my kids react to them changed my mind on it.

Soarin' Over Pgh

To touch on #4 a bit...my 10-year old son *loves* the wraps. Thanks to the geek-centric video library of his father, he was a huge fan of Tron long before Tron Legacy came out. When we got down to WDW when the tron-o-rail was out -- he was of single minded purpose to either get on that train or take pictures of it. Screw POTC, SSE or Haunted Mansion...he wanted to ride the tron-o-rail. I tried explaining to him that it was just Coral with a fancy paint job (I know it was a wrap, but to a 7 year old the distinction isn't there), he didn't care.

So when the Avengorail came out, same level of excitement --- and last year, he got my 6 year old daughter into it too. Every time we walked up to the station, she wanted to sit where Black Widow was on the outside of the train. Tears flew if she couldn't sit there....and utter joy and excitement if we actually got the opportunity.

When I recently showed my son and daughter a picture of the new Iron-rail, both their eyes bugged out.

They now know it's just one of the monorails....but they dont care. It's literally like an attraction to them.

So I now get it regarding these wraps. I know people think they're ugly..and I actually initially felt that way, but seeing how my kids react to them changed my mind on it.

Ooooo-kay. That's freakin' adorable. I won't rag on the monowraps anymore now.

asianway

At the end of the day, you need a product or service to sell to have a successful business -- anywhere. If your website isn't the actual product or service, then it's sole purpose is to support your product or service. I never understood the efforts by these blogger/life-stylers. They have no product or service...what are they supporting? egos? child-hood fantasies?

You should brand yourself. I hear theres a market for FrankThePirate.com Tshirts.

Then just watch the money roll in from people who transfer their affection for Disney to you by buying crap.

And how many of these sites have a paypal beg box attached to them?

Its all to defray the cost of their own lifestyle addiction.

lego606

MagicBandit
They'll announce -

- A replacement for Imagination
- A new attraction for the WoL pavilion
- An update for Ellen's Energy Crisis
- Mt Fuji and bullet train for Japan
- A Switzerland pavillion with Matterhorn Mt
- An ending for SSE
- Russia pavilion
- Spain pavilion
- Great Muppet Movie Ride for DHS
- Monsters ride
- Cars Land and RSR
- Incredibles ride
- Fire Mountain
- In-vehicle audio system for Space Mountain
- Tron ride
- Australia for DAK
- Monorail expansion property-wide
- Fifth theme park
- Sixth theme park
- Third water park
- Marvel deal with Comcast
- Iger's imminent resignation
- Kathleen Kennedy as new CEO

... Okay, that's some heavy wishful thinking on my part! BUT, there was a time when HUGE announcements like this one that I'm dreaming of were made! See the 90's Disney Decade announcement. While a good amount of that announcement never happened, a good amount of it did! Why can't we return to those days?!

What, no love for Disneyland?

msteel

It seems that there will be helicopters filming around the WDW resort property on Thursday:
"As part of day one of the Monstrous Summer Media Preview on Thursday, April 25, a helicopter will fly over multiple areas of the Walt Disney World Resort to capture promotional aerial footage. Guests may hear and/or see the helicopter as it takes off and flies overhead (sometimes low flying) at the following locations and times:
  • Epcot: 4 a.m. – Noon
  • Magic Kingdom Park: 5 a.m. – 8 a.m.
  • Downtown Disney Area: 5:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
  • Disney’s Art of Animation Resort / Disney’s Pop Century Resort: 10 a.m. – 11 a.m."
Courtesy of OPTN:
http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2013/04/helicopters-filming-around-wdw-on-april.html

Anybody know if there will be pyro associated with these?
Anybody know if this might perhaps be @photoflight and we'll get some new stills while he's up (although I don't know if he does copter work, or if he does plane work, or both)?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
*huggles* for everyone.
paranoid.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom