Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Ariel484

BS7HHrtCQAAqZ_0.jpg:large

Screen_Shot_2013_08_30_at_12_06_39_PM.png

Ariel484

I like the new Goofy, not sold on the Dopey yet. Seems a bit eh compared to the Dumbo one for way more work.
Now that you mention it...I agree. The new Goofy looks very cool. I'm surprised they did such a significant re-design for both that and W&D right before anniversary years.

Ariel484

Found a few more!

Pluto 5K medallion (my personal favorite):
pluto.jpg

Inaugural WDW 10K medal:
minnie.jpg

WDW Half Marathon Medal:
Donald.jpg

WDW Marathon Medal:
mickey.jpg

(all pics from Through Heather's Looking Glass Instagram)

Thoughts...
1. Not a lot of variety between the 10K/half/full medals!
2. In looking at all of the medals together, I think it's odd how different the Goofy medal is. Perhaps they want to keep the challenge medals "special" (as they well should) but like I said above the significant re-design a year before the anniversary surprises me.
3. Agree with @dreamfinder - the Dopey medal is just not as special as the Dumbo one was. Obviously it still signifies a great achievement but they could have used more color or something to make it really stand out.
4. Love the sorta hidden Mickey in the marathon medal.
5. Wonder why they got away from the "reveals" they did on the Facebook page last year? It's quite a change to go from videos and scavenger hunts to just putting them on display at the DL expo and having most people get pictures of the medals from the same person's Instagram account (seriously, her page views have probably exploded over the past couple of days).

John Wickee

Just wanted to drop in as a first time runDisney person. First time runner really. Newbie this year. Wanted to get in shape and choosing the WDW Half gave me a deadline to help that. Always have been a huge Disney fan though. Started in April and have run an 8K and 10K so far, as well as the farthest I've ever run in my life, 14 miles for a training run. Really looking forward to Disney in January. Can't believe the half is already in double digits.

Texas84

Just wanted to drop in as a first time runDisney person. First time runner really. Newbie this year. Wanted to get in shape and choosing the WDW Half gave me a deadline to help that. Always have been a huge Disney fan though. Started in April and have run an 8K and 10K so far, as well as the farthest I've ever run in my life, 14 miles for a training run. Really looking forward to Disney in January. Can't believe the half is already in double digits.

Welcome! If you've done 14 you're ready. If this is your first, have fun and just finish.

imagination30

okay this bugs me ... and I need some reasurenace here.. , I just read that Main street is getting like a new gate .. which will be where the Hlaf and marathon run in and down mainstreet ... , would that take away the running behind the Magic part ( backstage ) of the races? tell me I wont be disappointed in jan.. , bc ive worked to hard to be disappointed , and in all the videos ive watched , ive alwayd thought this part was cool

AUPr8Hd

okay this bugs me ... and I need some reasurenace here.. , I just read that Main street is getting like a new gate .. which will be where the Hlaf and marathon run in and down mainstreet ... , would that take away the running behind the Magic part ( backstage ) of the races? tell me I wont be disappointed in jan.. , bc ive worked to hard to be disappointed , and in all the videos ive watched , ive alwayd thought this part was cool

I think you're referring to the overflow exit/entrance area behind Main Street. I wouldn't expect there to be any change to the course as it will route you between Tony's and Confectionery then onto Main Street USA, not backstage

dreamfinder

They will still need the gate there to get vehicles on/off stage from that backstage area. So even if the new entry comes in at that point (which it should), there should still be a way to have runners go through that area.

I'm so bummed with the Dopey medal. It's nice. But that's it. There's no WOW factor at all to it. I'll still be very happy when it's hanging in my collection, and I'll be annoyed as all get out if 2015's is nicer looking than 2014's (not sure I can do it again with my foot), but rD seriously couldn't pull out the stops on this medal? Especially after paying a little over $500? Ugh.

Goofy looks stunning and a show stopper in comparison.

(I'm also bummed about the Dopey medal because I had to cancel going to Dumbo due to foot surgery - so it's like BLAH! I don't get the super duper cool medal this time around!)

I'm so happy I participated in Goofy last year and got that version, as well at the 20th anniversary marathon medal. I love them. They look fantastic and definitely have that WOW factor to it that I was expecting Dopey to have.

And I'm quite curious as to why Mickey does not have a mouth on his medal this year. Every picture I've seen of it shows no mouth. And when I held it in my hands at the TOT expo, same thing...no mouth. Wth?

1185857_748017308557567_1936087926_n.jpg

Last edited:
5. Wonder why they got away from the "reveals" they did on the Facebook page last year? It's quite a change to go from videos and scavenger hunts to just putting them on display at the DL expo and having most people get pictures of the medals from the same person's Instagram account (seriously, her page views have probably exploded over the past couple of days).

I suspect it is because they killed rD TV :(

imagination30

will there be a marathon # run Disney meet up run this year ? like they have had for Disney land . and I just saw on twitter for wine and dine.? , if so how do you get to be apart of it? ,

dreamfinder

will there be a marathon # run Disney meet up run this year ? like they have had for Disney land . and I just saw on twitter for wine and dine.? , if so how do you get to be apart of it? ,

More than likely. As far as being part of it, you need to be quick on the draw. It usually gets announced on their Twitter feed, their FaceBook page, or the DisneyParks blog, or some combo of the 3. They fill up fast as they only take like 50 people, and reserve a bunch of the seats for bloggers and the like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom