Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

DMut

Hi everyone... Running my first half marathon in Jan. My wife (who will have tickets to the park) and my dad (who won't) would like to see me run. They were considering getting a Cheer Squad package. I'd rather skip that expense, but if it means they can sleep in a bit and have easy access to a spot to see me, it might be worth it. Any tips or advice? Thanks!!!

Katherine

@DMut There are lots of places that are near but still outside the parks. Some nice places are at the TTC as run towards MK, near the Contemporary (you run along the road in front of the Contemporary), near GF you run along the road bordering the golf course, or in the parking lot at Epcot before you run in and out of the park. There are also stands set up at the finish line where they can cheer you on across the finish line. The monorails are running so they should be able to be up near MK and then meet you at the finish line.

I may be wrong but I think they can go into MK without tickets since they clear the park before opening. I may be wrong through, does anyone else know?

Ariel484

Hi everyone... Running my first half marathon in Jan. My wife (who will have tickets to the park) and my dad (who won't) would like to see me run. They were considering getting a Cheer Squad package. I'd rather skip that expense, but if it means they can sleep in a bit and have easy access to a spot to see me, it might be worth it. Any tips or advice? Thanks!!!
@DMut There are lots of places that are near but still outside the parks. Some nice places are at the TTC as run towards MK, near the Contemporary (you run along the road in front of the Contemporary), near GF you run along the road bordering the golf course, or in the parking lot at Epcot before you run in and out of the park. There are also stands set up at the finish line where they can cheer you on across the finish line. The monorails are running so they should be able to be up near MK and then meet you at the finish line.

I may be wrong but I think they can go into MK without tickets since they clear the park before opening. I may be wrong through, does anyone else know?
@Katherine is right. I think Disney normally tells spectators to take race transportation to the start with the runner (so super early) and then get on the Epcot monorail to the TTC...then monorail back to the finish. They can also watch you from Main Street. If they take either of these options (it would have to be one or the other) keep in mind that there are TONS of people in both areas, so make sure they know what you're wearing so they see you.

Keep an eye on the Spectator section of http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/. At some point they will post more detailed spectator info...you can also find this in the final race program when that is posted. And they will be able to sign up to track you via text message about a week before the race (I think). :)

Kristia

Looks to me like they may just be reusing the one from the half. Looks to pretty much be where the half has one at mile 11. Just keep the tent and stuff there overnight, and then have a few of the people staffing the finish line medical tent hang out there for an hour or so before heading to the finish tent. Just in case anyone cramps up or something similar from not prepping right and then waiting in a cold corral for an hour+ (if by some strange twist of fate it's freezing again).
No! No freezing!!!! Don't even say those words! ;)

Ariel484

This is good reminder...I still need to pick up some throw away gear for pre-race.

Good call. For the 2 races I've done at Disney (the 2011 Princess Half and the 2012 WDW Full) I didn't bring throwaway clothes...I was okay for the half but was pretty chilly before the full. :( It was great running weather but not-so-great for hanging out in the corrals for an hour+ before the race started. Last year I saw some guys wearing bathrobes and they looked sooooo warm. I definitely need to hit up my local Goodwill soon.

dreamfinder

@Katherine is right. I think Disney normally tells spectators to take race transportation to the start with the runner (so super early) and then get on the Epcot monorail to the TTC...then monorail back to the finish. They can also watch you from Main Street. If they take either of these options (it would have to be one or the other) keep in mind that there are TONS of people in both areas, so make sure they know what you're wearing so they see you.

Keep an eye on the Spectator section of http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/. At some point they will post more detailed spectator info...you can also find this in the final race program when that is posted. And they will be able to sign up to track you via text message about a week before the race (I think). :)

Exactly. If you are staying on property and planning on using Disney transportation, that is usually the best bet. I do believe there is a period of time when the WDW buses are not running (at least we were told that one year, I've always been running at that time.....) so sleeping in and getting to the prime spots can be tough. Depending on your estimated finish time, getting to see you can be a little tougher in the half. The only place they really like the spectators to watch from for the half are the start, TTC, Main Street, and the finish. Some people will usually end up hanging out by the Contemporary and the GF, but thats about it. They really don't like it if you stop on the side of the road to cheer. And since the course from Epcot to MK and back, buses aren't on that main drag during the race. So the monorail will almost definitely be your best bet.

Kristia

Good call. For the 2 races I've done at Disney (the 2011 Princess Half and the 2012 WDW Full) I didn't bring throwaway clothes...I was okay for the half but was pretty chilly before the full. :( It was great running weather but not-so-great for hanging out in the corrals for an hour+ before the race started. Last year I saw some guys wearing bathrobes and they looked sooooo warm. I definitely need to hit up my local Goodwill soon.
I remember you talking about the bathrobes! That sounded like such a good idea that I bought myself two and one for Dan at Goodwill. I also bought him a throwaway fleece jacket.
Exactly. If you are staying on property and planning on using Disney transportation, that is usually the best bet. I do believe there is a period of time when the WDW buses are not running (at least we were told that one year, I've always been running at that time.....) so sleeping in and getting to the prime spots can be tough. Depending on your estimated finish time, getting to see you can be a little tougher in the half. The only place they really like the spectators to watch from for the half are the start, TTC, Main Street, and the finish. Some people will usually end up hanging out by the Contemporary and the GF, but thats about it. They really don't like it if you stop on the side of the road to cheer. And since the course from Epcot to MK and back, buses aren't on that main drag during the race. So the monorail will almost definitely be your best bet.
We were watching a friend doing the half in 2011. We saw her at the start and then took the monorail to the TTC. Somehow we missed her (or we gave up too soon) when they run through the TTC area so we walked over to the Poly and saw her run by there. It is so tough looking for someone in the throngs of runners!

Texas84

No! No freezing!!!! Don't even say those words! ;)
Would rather have freezing than 80's. :) I thought last year was perfect! It got a little warm during that lame hairpin but seemed to cool off once in DHS.

Do y'all realize we're closing in on a month out? :eek:

Kristia

Would rather have freezing than 80's. :) I thought last year was perfect! It got a little warm during that lame hairpin but seemed to cool off once in DHS.

2011 was beautiful weather too. It was low 40's at the start and about 65 at the end. I am hoping for the same for 2013! I second that :eek:! I did have a great 21 miler though so I am feeling pretty good about my chances of having some good races!

lukacseven

We just don't need a repeat of 2010 - 28 degrees at the start warming up to 38 by the finish of the full and sleet and snow for the half. It really sucks when you look forward to coming to Florida because there were 2 feet of snow an ice in the Northeast that year.

dreamfinder

Agreed. Last year was pretty much spot on. Not cold enough to have problems at the start, but cool enough not to seriously overheat. Worked out well.

We just don't need a repeat of 2010 - 28 degrees at the start warming up to 38 by the finish of the full and sleet and snow for the half. It really sucks when you look forward to coming to Florida because there were 2 feet of snow an ice in the Northeast that year.

Darn tooting. That year annoyed the heck outta me as I left all my cold weather gear back in the Northeast....

Mad Stitch

I know I’m really dreaming here, but would anyone else like to see the new dragon swoop in and breathe his fire to start the race?

Ariel484

I know I’m really dreaming here, but would anyone else like to see the new dragon swoop in and breathe his fire to start the race?
Talk about pumping up the corrals. That would be off the chain.
Oh man...that would be awesome!!

So Marathon Weekend (I don't know why I always type that out as capital M, capital W...but I do :p) starts one month from Tuesday (??!?!!!!?!?!)...maybe they will post waivers next week?! I am also hoping they'll post the corrals like they did with Tower of Terror and Wine&Dine...??

LindsayLoves

Oh man...that would be awesome!!

So Marathon Weekend (I don't know why I always type that out as capital M, capital W...but I do :p) starts one month from Tuesday (??!?!!!!?!?!)...maybe they will post waivers next week?! I am also hoping they'll post the corrals like they did with Tower of Terror and Wine&Dine...??

If they do post the waivers and corrals I am sure I will get the info here before I get it from Disney. The race communication emails are somewhat dodgy and sporadic. You guys are the best!

Mickey&Minnie

I would love that!! Am I mistaken or haven't I seen a dragon in some of the runners world advertisements? Or was that last years? Either way they should put that thing to use. Maybe mile 20???

dreamfinder

I would love that!! Am I mistaken or haven't I seen a dragon in some of the runners world advertisements? Or was that last years? Either way they should put that thing to use. Maybe mile 20???

Fairly certain that one of the ads for one of the races has had Malificent in dragon form peeking around the castle for a few years now. Seems like they reuse the same ad graphics each year.

Phonedave

This was an email from another Disney 3rd party site with "Tips" for your marathon weekend at Disney. Thought it was worth the copy/paste. Sorry for the massive post, but it could potentially save someone from a bad experience.

Keep in mind that the marathon will still be going on when Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Epcot are opening up for regular park guests. Guests not associated with the marathon may want to make Magic Kingdom their park choice for that morning.

And keep in mind that as a racer, unless you a posting some great times, there WILL be people in some of the parks, and they WILL walk across the racecourse - sometimes right in front of you. When you are 25 miles in, and somone steps in front of you in the World Showcase, your legs don't have quite the agility they did 25 miles ago. Be careful when running in these areas.

For colder races, bring clothes to 'toss'. Old sweatshirts, sweatpants, long sleeved shirts, gloves, etc. will help you stay warm before the race, and the clothes tossed on the sides of the racecourse will be picked up, cleaned and donated to charity by Disney.

You will be standing for a long time before running, on top of that, unless you are in corrall A, the start will be packed and slow. You will not begin to warm up for a while. Even un a warm day, bring something light to discard. Keep those muscles warmed up.

Post-race tip: get up and walk around after the race, it is a good idea to keep your muscles from tightening up. Take a slow stroll around your resort or around Downtown Disney where there are plenty of places to sit down if you need it!

Go back to your resort, and right after you get off the bus, do not even go back to your room. Wade into the pool up to your waist and stay there for 10 minutes. Not the hot tub, the pool. If you could find an unheated pool, so much the better. Save a soak in the hot tub for later in the evening, Ice then heat.

-dave

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
And keep in mind that as a racer, unless you a posting some great times, there WILL be people in some of the parks, and they WILL walk across the racecourse - sometimes right in front of you. When you are 25 miles in, and somone steps in front of you in the World Showcase, your legs don't have quite the agility they did 25 miles ago. Be careful when running in these areas.

-dave
I've had people do that in other events and it is very frustrating. I dont try nor alter my course since the path is clearly marked and they know there is an event going on. I have jumped out of the way once and damn near ripped my calf off my leg. All because someone was not paying attention. I know this is Johnny Redneck, but if I was at mile 25 and someone walked in front of me, with the exception of grandma/grandpa, Im stiff arming them with an "excuse me". Im not risking injury because of them being a DA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom