Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Ariel484

I called the 407-WDW-IRUN number and they quoted me at $187 for a two day single park ticket. Disney.com has that same ticket at $176. The same thing happens when you get quotes on a room. Seems like you're better off not booking anything through runDisney.

That's lame. I agree with not booking through runDisney...we did for the 2011 Princess Half, and later after the trip I thought more about it and realized we definitely could have saved more if we booked with a different room discount. Lesson learned.

Finally got a chance to look at the electronic goodie bag. I might be slightly interested in the Richard Petty driving experience coupon. Has anyone tried this experience before? I don't even know if it is worth it.
Did anyone else see anything they were interested in? I personally like real bags but I understand the concept of having it electronic and cutting down on waste.

Haven't tried Richard Petty, just saw a Travel Channel special on it a long time ago - looked fun! I didn't see anything else in the gift bag that I wanted. :(

How's training going, everyone? I am on a step-back week and had a 14-miler today...crappy, crappy run. I cannot WAIT until tapering starts.

Kristia

That's lame. I agree with not booking through runDisney...we did for the 2011 Princess Half, and later after the trip I thought more about it and realized we definitely could have saved more if we booked with a different room discount. Lesson learned.

Haven't tried Richard Petty, just saw a Travel Channel special on it a long time ago - looked fun! I didn't see anything else in the gift bag that I wanted. :(

How's training going, everyone? I am on a step-back week and had a 14-miler today...crappy, crappy run. I cannot WAIT until tapering starts.
I got the email, but haven't had a chance to look at the gift bag. I am not thrilled with the electronic gift bags I have gotten. I don't think I have ever used anything in them. Sounds like this one probably won't be any different.

Our training is coming along. Last weekend was a step-back week for us. It was 13 miles. It wasn't as good a run as I thought it would be and I was getting a little freaked out about going for a 21 mile one this weekend (even though we did 20 two weeks ago). So now it is here...21 miles tomorrow. And I hear ya...can't wait for the taper to begin!! After this long run there is only one big one left (23 miles)! Come on taper! :)

Ariel484

I got the email, but haven't had a chance to look at the gift bag. I am not thrilled with the electronic gift bags I have gotten. I don't think I have ever used anything in them. Sounds like this one probably won't be any different.

Our training is coming along. Last weekend was a step-back week for us. It was 13 miles. It wasn't as good a run as I thought it would be and I was getting a little freaked out about going for a 21 mile one this weekend (even though we did 20 two weeks ago). So now it is here...21 miles tomorrow. And I hear ya...can't wait for the taper to begin!! After this long run there is only one big one left (23 miles)! Come on taper! :)

I am with you on the giftbag. Sort of a bummer.

And yeah, I was expecting my run today to be a great one because the weather is nice (low 50s), and after my so-so 18-miler 14 didn't seem so bad. Boo! :(

Good luck with your 21-miler!! I hope you guys have a great run. :) Next week I have a 20-miler than another step-back week, another 20-miler, and then TAPER. Ahhhh...:)

Mickey&Minnie

Training isn't going as great as I had hoped or planned but I just keep telling myself that this is my first marathon and the important thing is that I have fun (and oh yeah, don't get swept). I am hoping all of the hype during the marathon keeps me going and going like the energizer bunny.

Kristia

Training isn't going as great as I had hoped or planned but I just keep telling myself that this is my first marathon and the important thing is that I have fun (and oh yeah, don't get swept). I am hoping all of the hype during the marathon keeps me going and going like the energizer bunny.
I know how that is! This time, I have been able to do more training than my first time (2011). I only completed a 15 mile training run before the marathon and finished with time to spare. Not a lot of time, but never saw the sweepers. Being at the actual race really kept me going and there was so much to look at and keep me entertained that I didn't notice the miles passing till about mile 17. The last 3 were the roughest and took us about an hour to complete.

Mickey&Minnie

I know how that is! This time, I have been able to do more training than my first time (2011). I only completed a 15 mile training run before the marathon and finished with time to spare. Not a lot of time, but never saw the sweepers. Being at the actual race really kept me going and there was so much to look at and keep me entertained that I didn't notice the miles passing till about mile 17. The last 3 were the roughest and took us about an hour to complete.

Thanks, this really helps! I love these boards because they are so encouraging.

Texas84

Totally agree. It's 26.2 miles of other runners going through the same thing you are. You're never alone and the energy is off the chain. Last year I only did 20 miles in training and actually got a third wind about mile 23. Just finish and have fun!

And don't forget Mile 20. I'm really surprised that nothing has leaked about this. Or did I miss it?

Ariel484

Totally agree. It's 26.2 miles of other runners going through the same thing you are. You're never alone and the energy is off the chain. Last year I only did 20 miles in training and actually got a third wind about mile 23. Just finish and have fun!

And don't forget Mile 20. I'm really surprised that nothing has leaked about this. Or did I miss it?

Yeah, the energy at the race will definitely help. My brother maxed out at a 14-mile long run and I maxed out at 18 and we still finished. I had an iPod with me in case I needed a boost and the thought to actually use it when I was running the race never crossed my mind. There's just so much to see and take it...very fun.

@Texas84 I haven't heard anything about mile 20...I am guessing and hoping for tons of rare characters. :)

Katherine

Echoing what everyone is saying about the energy of the race getting you to the finish line @Mickey&Minnie! @Texas84 the last 4 or so miles of the race are awesome! I ran a non-Disney marathon where the last 8 miles were soo.... boring... it was then that I really came to appreciate all the cheering people and how fun it is running through the parks for those last few miles.

Also, can't wait to see the Mile 20 spectacular! Since I'm running the Goofy I'm going to take it slower and take lots of pictures along the way!!

Ariel484

If it's tons of rare characters that mile may take me forever because I am trying to limit my picture taking to mile markers and rare characters.

You and me both! In both of the Disney races I have done, the mile through the Magic Kingdom has been considerably slower since that's where the most characters hang out. :)

Mr mom

Finally got a chance to look at the electronic goodie bag. I might be slightly interested in the Richard Petty driving experience coupon. Has anyone tried this experience before? I don't even know if it is worth it.
Did anyone else see anything they were interested in? I personally like real bags but I understand the concept of having it electronic and cutting down on waste.

I loved it, if anything I could have done another 50 laps it was awesome but like everything it is a matter of what you are into

Ariel484

Ooh thanks. I keep checking and double-checking to see if they have posted waivers/corrals (assuming they are posting corrals since they did for Tower of Terror and Wine&Dine)...nothing yet. Hopefully they will be up at some point over the next 2 weeks.

Mad Stitch

Ooh thanks. I keep checking and double-checking to see if they have posted waivers/corrals (assuming they are posting corrals since they did for Tower of Terror and Wine&Dine)...nothing yet. Hopefully they will be up at some point over the next 2 weeks.

lol I noticed the addition only because I was looking for the same thing by editing these url's into what I thought may be the file names for the waivers and corrals. I didn't work though. :D

Ariel484

lol I noticed the addition only because I was looking for the same thing by editing these url's into what I thought may be the file names for the waivers and corrals. I didn't work though. :D

Sneaky sneaky! Not a bad idea though since that's how the new marathon medal was leaked. :D Of course that could also mean that runDisney is now cracking down on the security of their online documents a bit more. ;)

And by the way...I hope your foot is feeling better soon. :(

Mad Stitch

And by the way...I hope your foot is feeling better soon. :(

Thanks, it’s feeling good this week. I only feel a slight pain if I’m standing for an extended amount of time.

I find the first aid station at mile marker 1 a bit odd. What would you need first aid for that early?

dreamfinder

Thanks, it’s feeling good this week. I only feel a slight pain if I’m standing for an extended amount of time.

I find the first aid station at mile marker 1 a bit odd. What would you need first aid for that early?

Looks to me like they may just be reusing the one from the half. Looks to pretty much be where the half has one at mile 11. Just keep the tent and stuff there overnight, and then have a few of the people staffing the finish line medical tent hang out there for an hour or so before heading to the finish tent. Just in case anyone cramps up or something similar from not prepping right and then waiting in a cold corral for an hour+ (if by some strange twist of fate it's freezing again).

lukacseven

Ah, food stop at the 20 Mile Spectacular. Interesting. :)
Mile 11.75 should be bananas and orange slices - it was when you turned off World Drive towards AK on the old course where they always had this. They also had gels and sponges as you exited AK. Behind Tower of Terror (mile 22.5) was always the chocolate bars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom