Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Anyone one running the events this weekend keep your eyes peeled for Panchito and Jose Carioca with Donald. I have it on good authority that the 3 caballeros will be appearing at the full (possibly the half) and obviously they will be at the 3 caballeros 5K. :wave:

Ariel484

Anyone one running the events this weekend keep your eyes peeled for Panchito and Jose Carioca with Donald. I have it on good authority that the 3 caballeros will be appearing at the full (possibly the half) and obviously they will be at the 3 caballeros 5K. :wave:

Ooh, thanks! Hope to see them at the full! :wave:

MKCP 1985

Panchito and Jose were meeting guests at Mexico last year. The only caballero missing was Donald. Glad to see they will fix that in 2012! Have fun! :king:

Ariel484

Panchito and Jose were meeting guests at Mexico last year. The only caballero missing was Donald. Glad to see they will fix that in 2012! Have fun! :king:

I saw that in someone's picture from last year...if it's all 3 I'll definitely stop. If Donald's not there, I might have to pass :D

HollyBelle

Good luck to all the runners this weekend! I can't wait to hear all about it and see those rare character photos!! :sohappy:

JimboJones123

3 Cabs
Mulan and Shang
Snow White, Prince and Dopey
Al, Jas, and Abu
Goof and Pluto OR just Mickey

First time I have ever seen out Shang and Abu.

asianway

It is unlikely Donald will be at Mexico with the Caballeros. His absence is an integrity issue...

MKCP 1985

It is unlikely Donald will be at Mexico with the Caballeros. His absence is an integrity issue...

Maybe - you probably know more than I about the issue, but he could be there before the park opens if they wanted to do the photo op. marathon weekend presents some unique opportunities.

Texas84

The 3 Cabs were not there, at either start or finish. Just Jose', I think.

And no Taiko drummers!

Tons of awesome characters though. Great job WDW, RunDisney and especially the voluntears. Takes a special person to do that.

The tourists in the camper were hilarious. "You're going the wrong way!" :lol:

asianway

And no Taiko drummers!

Tons of awesome characters though. Great job WDW, RunDisney and especially the voluntears. Takes a special person to do that.

Jose was rotating with Panchito throughout the day, at both passes thru EPCOT

dreamfinder

And no Taiko drummers!

The 3 cabs were at the start for the 5k.

I was also disappointed in no Taiko drummers. They are usually a good fit there.

And huge props to all the volunteers!!

JillC LI

Waiting at the relay exchange for the first first half finisher.

Did you run the relay exchange? Did anyone on this forum? I was just wondering if the pass-off had to be at the 13.1 M mark, or could the race be divided some other way (i.e., with me doing let's say 18 miles and my son doing 8.1)? That would be a fun thing to do with him, but if he has to run a complete Half, it will be some time before he's capable of that.

Ariel484

Did you run the relay exchange? Did anyone on this forum? I was just wondering if the pass-off had to be at the 13.1 M mark, or could the race be divided some other way (i.e., with me doing let's say 18 miles and my son doing 8.1)? That would be a fun thing to do with him, but if he has to run a complete Half, it will be some time before he's capable of that.

I'm pretty sure it has to be 13.1/13.1...they had it marked off on the course right before mile 13:

IMG_0345.JPG

Relay runners on the left, marathoners on the right:

IMG_0346.JPG

lukacseven

I ran the 2nd leg of the relay - they had it divided into (2) 13.1 halves. I was able to see my sister start, enter Epcot at mile 2, see her again at the water station past mile 4, then I took the relay shuttle bus to the exchange zone in the parking lot near the race track. They had a separate bag check and scaled down versions of everything at the start line. There was a large video board with live views of the finish line, Main St. and the relay entrance and a pretty good DJ. Runner one turned left off the course and after about 40 yards turned right and then headed straight along about 150 yards to a finish line. Runner 2 could see this appraoch. Just past the runner one finish line there were several (about 8-10) chutes. 2nd runners were in these chutes and would work towards the front when they saw their teammate. When runner 1 was about half way home, they allowed you out onto the course to greet them as they finished. Runner 2 then would run a short distance, maybe 20 yards and turn around some cones and head in the opposite direction, parallel to the 1st runner's approach. Then runner 2 turns left and merges onto the marathon course. Shortly after merging, runner 2 hits the 13 mile marker. This was my first time running a relay event and I thought it was organized very well and made for a great experience. I think the only complaint was that runner 1 received their medal at the relay exchange and was not allowed into the secure zone back at Epcot. It would have been nice to have them return to cross the finish line together and be presented medals as a team. For the first year, I thought it was awesome. I'd be intrested to hear from other runners how this may compare to other relay events.

GoofyRacer11

Sorry I haven't posted my Marathon time yet. I just got
back to Ohio yesterday and I'm already regretting that I
did. It is 0 degrees with the windchill and its not looking
good for the rest of winter, but on the bright side, there is
only 356 days until we leave for the Goofy Challenge next year
and we are looking to join the vacation club so maybe we can
go to Florida twice during winter.

My marathon time was 3:55:35, which I was shooting for 3:55
or less but I ran faster than what I wanted for the half so 35 seconds
more really isn't that big of a deal. My legs were somewhat sore that day
and the day after, but the soreness went away by Tuesday morning. Races
that I'm looking at for the year are the Cleveland, Columbus, Akron and Toledo Half-Marathons, the Warriors Dash, and maybe the Tough Mudder.

JimboJones123

Sorry I haven't posted my Marathon time yet. I just got
back to Ohio yesterday and I'm already regretting that I
did. It is 0 degrees with the windchill and its not looking
good for the rest of winter, but on the bright side, there is
only 356 days until we leave for the Goofy Challenge next year
and we are looking to join the vacation club so maybe we can
go to Florida twice during winter.

My marathon time was 3:55:35, which I was shooting for 3:55
or less but I ran faster than what I wanted for the half so 35 seconds
more really isn't that big of a deal. My legs were somewhat sore that day
and the day after, but the soreness went away by Tuesday morning. Races
that I'm looking at for the year are the Cleveland, Columbus, Akron and Toledo Half-Marathons, the Warriors Dash, and maybe the Tough Mudder.

I am looking to do the Cap City half again this year, and maybe the Emerald City again in Dublin Ohio.

JimboJones123

I'm pretty sure it has to be 13.1/13.1...they had it marked off on the course right before mile 13:

IMG_0345.JPG

Relay runners on the left, marathoners on the right:

IMG_0346.JPG

The split added about .3-.4 miles. The chip clocked runner one's exit and runner two's entry.

I couldn't see runner one come in, so our split took 6 minutes instead of the 3-4 that most did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom