Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

dreamfinder

For those of you who did the relay, based on the setup they had this year, would it have been possible for runner 1 to continue on to do a full marathon? Some relays I have done were setup that way so that runner one did the first half of the marathon, and then ran the second half with their partner. Trying to talk the DW into doing a half next year with me, but she really likes the relay medal over the half medals.

MKCP 1985

yeah, the half medals were unique for this year, the 15th anniversary of that race. The 1 and 2 of 2012 were used to spell 1/2. The medal will probably be re-designed for 2013. (Hopefully)

Did anyone see that someone had his or her finisher medals stolen from checked luggage? What kind of lunatic steals someone's marathon medals? Happily, RunDisney is replacing the medals. Still. :mad: :fork: :mad:

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
For those of you who did the relay, based on the setup they had this year, would it have been possible for runner 1 to continue on to do a full marathon? Some relays I have done were setup that way so that runner one did the first half of the marathon, and then ran the second half with their partner. Trying to talk the DW into doing a half next year with me, but she really likes the relay medal over the half medals.

Didn't run it, but the 2nd person wasn't allowed to start until the first person came through the finisher's chute.

Now, it's possible they could modify that in the future, but who knows.

Mad Stitch

I'm surprised how many don't like the design of the half medal this year. I thought it was unique because it's a design that can only be used once every century.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'm surprised how many don't like the design of the half medal this year. I thought it was unique because it's a design that can only be used once every century.

I liked it....actually helped make up my mind whether I was going to do the full or the half.

Now next year the marathon is 20, so I'm sure that'll have a special medal, which might make up my mind the other way.

radio639

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to say what a wonderful event this was. I flew over from the UK to take part and apparently I undertook the Dopey Challenge (Goofy plus 5k).

I would love to be able to take part in this event every year, but alas it is a bit far to travel, but would recommend it to anyone.

My only regret is that I did not purchase the 5k and half Marathon Pins, as I am going to display my medals (as it is probably the only Marathon I'll ever do!), so for future reference for anyone doing it, try and purchase them, you can always sell them after if you don't want to keep them (unfortunately I cant afford the prices they are asking on ebay).

As a slowcoach, I was at the 13.1 mile point when I heard an announcement that if any relay partners had not come in, then second half runners could start off, which meant that everyone had the chance to get their medals.

Even if you are not an elite runner, do it, it is a once in a life time event

:)

Adele x

lukacseven

They did make announcements at the relay exchange zone - if runner #1 dropped out then runner #2 was told they could start their leg of the marathon. I also thought for year one of the relay it was very well organized. I didn't find the exchange chutes too small of crowded, although I had a fairly good idea of when my teammate was coming and there were still alot of people waiting when I started running.

My only complaint was that runner #1 was not allowed back into the secure zone at the finish line. It would be nice in the future to give the first runner a wristband or something when they finish and allow them to meet their teammate as they finish at Epcot and receive medals & photos together. Or at least corral off an area for them to wait and greet their partners.

Ariel484

I personally didn't like it...I think mostly because it had color on it. :shrug: Then again, I didn't like the Mickey medals when they were first changed a couple of years back, but they grew on me.

I liked it....actually helped make up my mind whether I was going to do the full or the half.

Now next year the marathon is 20, so I'm sure that'll have a special medal, which might make up my mind the other way.

I'm excited to see what the special medal is! :sohappy: So pumped!

Kandi

Disney 2013 Marathon

Does anyone know when the registration opens for the Disney 2013 marathon at WDW? Thanks in advance :)

GoofyRacer11

I emailed RunDisney and they told me that registration
usually opens up about 9-10 months before the Marathon
weekend. I have also noticed a couple changes to the
marathon weekend website, so I would say that we
should be able to register by the end of February. That's
my guess anyway!

lukacseven

During this year's Marathon weekend they advertised registration opens in March. I do not recall the exact date, but they're good about posting in advance on the ESPNWOS website. This is also something that doesn't typically sell out until late fall anyway, so registering early is not necessary.

A few years back it used to be the Monday following the Marathon, but that has since changed.

Ariel484

Registration for the 2012 races opened on 3/15/2011 (I know because I had that date burned in my brain! :lol: :rolleyes:). I've heard other people speculate that registration will be more like April this year, but who knows?! Like lukacseven says you don't have to worry about it selling out, just watch the dates of the price increases (i.e. the earlier you register, the cheaper it is) and you should be good to go!

GoofyRacer11

I also found out that if you can preregister for any of
the races on Active's website. You just sign up on there
and once the race registration officially opens, you will
have already signed up.

Kandi

Thanks guys :) I was just worried about it because I'm from the uk and don't want to miss out. It will be my first marathon :)

Yay, it will be my first marathon as well. I want to sign up sooner rather than later because I need the motivation to get back into running regularly.

On a related note, does anyone know what the resort prices were for marathon weekend? Trying to plan how much money to put aside for the trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom