Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Ariel484

I agree! Even for 5ks my friend and I usually try to get there an hour before the gun goes off. That way we have time to hit the bathrooms and shake off all of the nerves. I have a feeling I won't be able to sleep anyway the night before so I might as well take the time to walk around and soak it all in. You only run your first marathon once.
In the past I've been on the bus no later than 3:30. This year I'm taking the monorail for the first time...not sure what to expect. :)
On a side note, I am planning on taking pictures before, during, and after the race. And I know several on here like to do that as well. What kind of camera do you use? My plan is to use my iPhone. That way I have my phone with me and it cuts down on stuff that I am running with. Is this smart?
I have a small Canon point-and-shoot that I'll carry in my hand. I'm bringing my iPhone purely for post-race meet-up purposes...during the race I'm going to keep it in a ziploc baggy wrapped in a paper towel so that it doesn't get sweaty. o_O

Texas84

I have a small Canon point-and-shoot that I'll carry in my hand. I'm bringing my iPhone purely for post-race meet-up purposes...during the race I'm going to keep it in a ziploc baggy wrapped in a paper towel so that it doesn't get sweaty. o_O
Learned that one the hard way. My iPhone still has a cloudy display from the ToT. Ziplocs are now part of my running kit.

Mickey&Minnie

I have a spibelt that I usually keep my phone in while I run and I have never had a problem with that. My biggest concern this time is taking it in and out to take pictures but I bought a more durable case today at tjmaxx. It wraps around the screen a little better than my previous one.

Katherine

Had my first dream this week about missing/being late to the half marathon at WDW, which means... Marathon Weekend is getting close! Hope everyone is doing well and is having a happy holiday!

PS official race twitter hashtags were released for race weekend: #WDWMarathon, #WDWHalf, #GoofyChallenge, #Family5K and #WDWDowntownParty

Texas84

So what's the deal with the Cool Down Party at Downtown Sunday? Sounds like it's just a bunch of discounts if you show your medal. Anything special going on?

a2grafix

wouldn't that be awesome

It sure would be awesome because in the course of the new year I am planning to run the 2013 Disneyland Half, some 5 weeks later my second consecutive Tower of Terror 10-miler at WDW, and then the 2014 WDW Half Marathon. Could I complete a coast-to-coast challenge in 4.5 months?

Yes. Yes I can. It all starts now.

Kristia

It sure would be awesome because in the course of the new year I am planning to run the 2013 Disneyland Half, some 5 weeks later my second consecutive Tower of Terror 10-miler at WDW, and then the 2014 WDW Half Marathon. Could I complete a coast-to-coast challenge in 4.5 months?

Yes. Yes I can. It all starts now.
Unfortunately to get the Coast to Coast, I think you have to run races that are at least 13.1 long in the same year. I don't think the Tower of Terror race counts.

a2grafix

Unfortunately to get the Coast to Coast, I think you have to run races that are at least 13.1 long in the same year. I don't think the Tower of Terror race counts.

On my agenda in the next year are Disneyland Half, Tower 10 miler and 2014 WDW Half. Does the coast to coast count if I run 2 half marathons over 4.5 month span, but in different years?

Yeah. I wished the Tower 10 miler counted for coast to coast.

Kristia

On my agenda in the next year are Disneyland Half, Tower 10 miler and 2014 WDW Half. Does the coast to coast count if I run 2 half marathons over 4.5 month span, but in different years?

Yeah. I wished the Tower 10 miler counted for coast to coast.
Unfortunately, no. You would have to run them in the same year. You would have to do the Disneyland Half in 2014. You could get it if you switched out the TOT run with the Wine and Dine Half in 2013.

a2grafix

Unfortunately, no. You would have to run them in the same year. You would have to do the Disneyland Half in 2014. You could get it if you switched out the TOT run with the Wine and Dine Half in 2013.

Maybe I might do that, the Wine and Dine half instead of the Tower 10 miler. The way I look at it, I could be in 3 half marathons in late summer, and into fall in 2013 - Disneyland Half Labor Day weekend, WDW Wine and Dine Half in November 2013, and the St. Jude Memphis Half Marathon early December. Whoah.

Ariel484

So what's the deal with the Cool Down Party at Downtown Sunday? Sounds like it's just a bunch of discounts if you show your medal. Anything special going on?
To me it doesn't sound like much more than what you just said - discounts. I think maybe they will also have some merch there...?

I'm not planning on going myself. Too much of a pain to get to DtD. :)

Kristia

Maybe I might do that, the Wine and Dine half instead of the Tower 10 miler. The way I look at it, I could be in 3 half marathons in late summer, and into fall in 2013 - Disneyland Half Labor Day weekend, WDW Wine and Dine Half in November 2013, and the St. Jude Memphis Half Marathon early December. Whoah.
Busy schedule but it sounds like a blast! I was hoping to get a Coast to Coast this year and do the Disneyland Half but financially it is not in the cards this year. We have a trip planned to WDW in August with my sis and family which is to close to the DL half.

lukacseven

To me it doesn't sound like much more than what you just said - discounts. I think maybe they will also have some merch there...?

I'm not planning on going myself. Too much of a pain to get to DtD. :)

Last year we did MK Sunday night for EMH. I see they are doing that again this year. I was a bit surprised it wasn't more crowded last year, but I guess a lot of people were in bed. I really liked the post-race party at HS. Again, not a great turnout, but the 26 degree temperature probably deterred a lot of people, plus the extra entry fee. The concept was great, though. I just really think there should be some park-related perk for finishers, like when they did Marathon Monday or even back when you got free admission to Pleasure Island.

Ariel484

Last year we did MK Sunday night for EMH. I see they are doing that again this year. I was a bit surprised it wasn't more crowded last year, but I guess a lot of people were in bed. I really liked the post-race party at HS. Again, not a great turnout, but the 26 degree temperature probably deterred a lot of people, plus the extra entry fee. The concept was great, though. I just really think there should be some park-related perk for finishers, like when they did Marathon Monday or even back when you got free admission to Pleasure Island.
Yep, I'll be heading to MK for EMH on Sunday, for sure. That sounds like more fun to me than the DtD party, to be honest. :)

A park-related perk would be nice. Marathon Monday was a good idea, but I forget, did they do anything for AP holders? I know there was a lot of talk about that but I forget what the resolution was (if anything).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom