Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LindsayLoves

@Kristia

Thanks for throwing this together, my name is Lindsay and my brother is Michael also doing the full he's 15019 (he's bringing proof of time from his 15k that should move him up corral wise substantially)

@Ariel484 My brother has no excuse for his lack of training like your bro but he is going to go for the full, I think the run-walk will be in full effect. Even though he is really considering not doing the full he might also get caught up in the excitement of it all and try to go for the full if the half doesn't hurt him too much. When in Disney...

Ariel484

Yeah, probably better not to risk doing a full if you haven't done any training. I know I could never get through a full like that. Although he may try to muscle it out so he doesn't lose out to his sis! :D But that could bite him in the a$$ if he gets swept and you finish! Such a quandry he has! ;)
He's done a handful (literally...you could count them on one hand) of 5-6 milers on the treadmill as far as I know. Normally he'll text me while he's doing them - yes, while! Not sure how he doesn't wipe out. I think he'll be okay for the half( not perfect but okay).
@Ariel484 My brother has no excuse for his lack of training like your bro but he is going to go for the full, I think the run-walk will be in full effect. Even though he is really considering not doing the full he might also get caught up in the excitement of it all and try to go for the full if the half doesn't hurt him too much. When in Disney...
Oh, brothers. Are you running together? I am not sure if we are...might be an awkward conversation. o_O

LindsayLoves

Oh, brothers. Are you running together? I am not sure if we are...might be an awkward conversation. o_O

Hmm not sure about the running together thing. Since my training isn't exactly where I want it to be for this race thanks to the recent itb issues I've had we will most likely run together with me as the pacer. I have long since given up on getting a good time and am just looking for a fun experience but I also have no desire to spend 5+ hours running this race.

I think your brother would understand if you want to break off from him with all the awesome training you have been doing. He knows better than anyone how much he hasn't been training so it would be unfair of him to think that you *have* to run with him.

Mad Stitch

Yes, I was going for 20...I'm glad you understand what the weather was like! I know we have had worse but that is the worst I've tried to run in. :( How did your long run go?

I did only 10 miles on the treadmill that day. I couldn't stand the treadmill anymore. Overall training has not gone well, but I'll make it through my first marathon.

I thought I would start a list of whose coming and which races we are in. I don't know everyone's names so if you have any edits or additions I will add them to the list!

My name is Steve if you want to add it. There has been some talk of a meet up. Since nearly all of us will be at the full (so far), what about meeting somewhere before the walk to the corrals?

Kristia

I did only 10 miles on the treadmill that day. I couldn't stand the treadmill anymore. Overall training has not gone well, but I'll make it through my first marathon.

My name is Steve if you want to add it. There has been some talk of a meet up. Since nearly all of us will be at the full (so far), what about meeting somewhere before the walk to the corrals?
Sounds good to me! We could meet up near one of the family reunion letters? Maybe the W for WDWMagic? They are in the staging area before you go into the "point of no return". :)

Mickey&Minnie

I did only 10 miles on the treadmill that day. I couldn't stand the treadmill anymore. Overall training has not gone well, but I'll make it through my first marathon

You are not the only one who has had a bad training schedule. This is my first marathon as well and I am just now getting over a sickness that has sidelined me for 3 weeks. We will get thru it together.

Mickey&Minnie

I thought I would start a list of whose coming and which races we are in. I don't know everyone's names so if you have any edits or additions I will add them to the list

Kristia~ I think this list is genius. My name is Ashley if you would like to change it out. And I am all for the morning of meet up. My plan is to catch one of the first busses from my resort and I'll most likely be all by myself so it would be nice to kill some of that nervous energy with a meet up.

Texas84

Kristia, thanks! Another option might be the picture background spots they usually set up near the DJ. But W is a great idea!

BTW, I'm Mark and my cousin is Brandi.

Kristia

Kristia~ I think this list is genius. My name is Ashley if you would like to change it out. And I am all for the morning of meet up. My plan is to catch one of the first busses from my resort and I'll most likely be all by myself so it would be nice to kill some of that nervous energy with a meet up.
I think we caught a bus about 3:15 last time, so I will be shooting for that time again. I will edit my post with your info!
Kristia, thanks! Another option might be the picture background spots they usually set up near the DJ. But W is a great idea!

BTW, I'm Mark and my cousin is Brandi.
I thought of the picture spots but I wasn't sure exactly where they were. Maybe we could meet at "W" and then maybe move to the picture spot to take a picture.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I apparently don't have a waiver.
My mother said she signed three of us up.... and I'm the only one without a waiver. She said they charged her "$300-something"...which would be two people. There are no words for how not happy I am right now.
For the princess 1/2 last year, they accidentally had my wife and I both under her name. My registration showed I entered both names correctly, but one of them changed to her name.

lukacseven

I think we caught a bus about 3:15 last time, so I will be shooting for that time again. I will edit my post with your info!

I thought of the picture spots but I wasn't sure exactly where they were. Maybe we could meet at "W" and then maybe move to the picture spot to take a picture.

I always take the last bus around 4:00-4:15 from the resort to the start line. I don't like standing around before the race. We usually get to our corral just as they play the anthem.

dreamfinder

In other news, final race instructions have been posted! Go to the Runner Info Tab > Final Race Instructions. I see there are wave starts for the 5K...I don't remember entering in an expected finish time when I registered and the instructions make it sound like there are assigned corrals, not just lining up on the honor system, which is how I thought they did it in the past. Hmm...

Also they are sending the marathon waves out farther apart - every 7 minutes. I wonder why, maybe they think it will help with congestion on the course?

Assigned corrals for the 5k? Interesting. I'll admit the one last year was chaos. Posted signs for estimated times, but then having people get in the start in waves? Just seemed very off. But yeah, they definitely didn't ask for estimated finish times. I'd hate to actually be trying to run this and getting stuck in the back instead of having fun with the DW....

I think @dreamfinder is going Dopey. :)

Yes I am. Since they now have an "official" Dumbo race, sounds like the 5k+Goofy now needs to be known solely as the Dopey.

Kristia

I always take the last bus around 4:00-4:15 from the resort to the start line. I don't like standing around before the race. We usually get to our corral just as they play the anthem.
I like to be early or else I freak out that we are going to miss the start (even though we start way way behind most people)! At the Hershey half, we were a bit late and almost missed the start because we were standing in the portapot lines. Yep, I need to be early so that I am not as stressed. :)

Mickey&Minnie

I like to be early or else I freak out that we are going to miss the start (even though we start way way behind most people)! At the Hershey half, we were a bit late and almost missed the start because we were standing in the portapot lines. Yep, I need to be early so that I am not as stressed. :)

I agree! Even for 5ks my friend and I usually try to get there an hour before the gun goes off. That way we have time to hit the bathrooms and shake off all of the nerves. I have a feeling I won't be able to sleep anyway the night before so I might as well take the time to walk around and soak it all in. You only run your first marathon once.

On a side note, I am planning on taking pictures before, during, and after the race. And I know several on here like to do that as well. What kind of camera do you use? My plan is to use my iPhone. That way I have my phone with me and it cuts down on stuff that I am running with. Is this smart?

Texas84

On a side note, I am planning on taking pictures before, during, and after the race. And I know several on here like to do that as well. What kind of camera do you use? My plan is to use my iPhone. That way I have my phone with me and it cuts down on stuff that I am running with. Is this smart?
I have a digital Canon with a carrying case that has a belt loop. I wore it with a running belt and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But what you're saying definitely makes sense.

Kristia

I agree! Even for 5ks my friend and I usually try to get there an hour before the gun goes off. That way we have time to hit the bathrooms and shake off all of the nerves. I have a feeling I won't be able to sleep anyway the night before so I might as well take the time to walk around and soak it all in. You only run your first marathon once.

I ran with my digital Canon. I carried it in my hand the whole way which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have a pouch I can put it in if it gets annoying. I don't have an iphone, but if I did and it took decent pics then I would definitely go that route!

lukacseven

I ran with my digital Canon. I carried it in my hand the whole way which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have a pouch I can put it in if it gets annoying. I don't have an iphone, but if I did and it took decent pics then I would definitely go that route!

I've run with an older digital Canon (one of the bulkier ones) for the half one year and it wasn't as bad as I thought either. Don't want to risk dropping my iPhone. One year they had Disney photographers at limited character locations with PhotoPass. It would be awesome if they had them at multiple locations, even if they were the Brightroom people. Then I could justify spending $100 for a CD.

Katherine

I'm getting so excited. Interesting that they are doing waves for the 5k, not sure how that's going to work. Last year they did "waves" (there was 2 releases of runners from the corals) but it was still all honor system.

I'm glad to hear others are running with cameras I ran with mine for the ToT 10 Miler and it wasn't so bad. I just put the camera case on my running belt (like @Texas84) and it worked great. I can't wait to get some pics along the way! I'm really hoping they have the pirate ship+Wendy+Peter backstage of MK again and a villians stop! I'm so excited! Also, thinking about running with my phone instead. The camera is really good on it but I would want to find a similar case that could slip on my running belt and not bounce too much.

I agree too! Love getting there early. It's to stressful if I don't plus there are characters to take pictures with! I'll be driving over since I'm staying with my parents off property so I usually drive early and then depending on how cold it is usually determines how long I linger in my car... haha. Hoping for good weather this year!

dreamfinder

Depends on you and your running style. I've carried both a compact P&S as well as my iPhone. The iPhone works well as that way you aren't checking it (I trust em, but only so far) and have it to send texts/call family to find them once you finish. At the same time however, there is always the chance that the device you run with gets ruined. It could get dropped during the character handler hand off as they turn people through pretty fast. Some of the more popular characters will have 2 handlers, who basically are tag teaming off on photos. CM 1 gets guest 1, CM 2 gets guest 2, CM 1 gets guest 3, etc. Helps to speed up the process, but the chance of dropping it is still there. Also, remember you may sweat (it is 26.2 miles after all) or may otherwise get it wet if you spill water, use a sponge, etc while on course. So either be prepared to face that possibility, or to have a water proof/resistant type case to stick it in when not in use to help keep it dry.

I've run with an older digital Canon (one of the bulkier ones) for the half one year and it wasn't as bad as I thought either. Don't want to risk dropping my iPhone. One year they had Disney photographers at limited character locations with PhotoPass. It would be awesome if they had them at multiple locations, even if they were the Brightroom people. Then I could justify spending $100 for a CD.

The last few events they have had pretty much almost every character staffed with a photographer. If I recall correctly Brightroom subcontracts those spots out to Photopass since they are used to dealing with characters. But they still are included on the Brightroom event CD. You can see all the places they had them last year here -> http://www2.brightroom.com/89678/browse At the DLR 1/2, they actually passed out 4x6s that showed where all the characters would be they were going to have photographers at. Be interesting to see if they do that for the WDW events this year.

lukacseven

The last few events they have had pretty much almost every character staffed with a photographer. If I recall correctly Brightroom subcontracts those spots out to Photopass since they are used to dealing with characters. But they still are included on the Brightroom event CD. You can see all the places they had them last year here -> http://www2.brightroom.com/89678/browse At the DLR 1/2, they actually passed out 4x6s that showed where all the characters would be they were going to have photographers at. Be interesting to see if they do that for the WDW events this year.[/quote]

I didn't know they included them on the CD. I had only noticed 3-4 years ago they had Photopass at a few character locations, but the pictures were done by Disney, not Island Photo or whoever used to do it. Thanks for the info. I actually may stop and get a few pictures taken if there's no line now that I know they take them for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom