Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I really leaned in on sport beans last year after previously only doing water and powerade on course. Really helped keep spirits and energy up on the last two days without tearing up my stomach.

I like beans or chews. Gels are so thick that you also need to drink water with them. Plus the Cherry Blossom flavor of Honey Stinger chews is delicious.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Besides water, nope. I have never tried them.
I started out the natural way of adding in something on long runs. Peter Rabbit fruit squeeze Banana Apple, easy on the belly and easy to open and slip, Starbucks sell them to try.
Almond Butter works well, will give you a little push without a big crash.
I ended up with using Maurten gels (caf 100 and gel 100), they don't bother my belly, I don't feel a crash like some and it doesn't have a taste that lingers. They're more $$ than some, but I only use them on very long runs.
Jeff Galloway's Marathon training book has a great chapter on the use of aids during runs.
@LAKid53 and @Rteetz I can't do Gu either, it just doesn't sit well with me and I crashed hard after using one.

Surferboy567

@Surferboy567 do you use any gels or anything nutritional on your long runs?
I use Honey Stinger chews and Jelly Belly sports beans. Can purchase both from Amazon. Gels are too thick for me.

View attachment 753090

View attachment 753091
I started out the natural way of adding in something on long runs. Peter Rabbit fruit squeeze Banana Apple, easy on the belly and easy to open and slip, Starbucks sell them to try.
Almond Butter works well, will give you a little push without a big crash.
I ended up with using Maurten gels (caf 100 and gel 100), they don't bother my belly, I don't feel a crash like some and it doesn't have a taste that lingers. They're more $$ than some, but I only use them on very long runs.
Jeff Galloway's Marathon training book has a great chapter on the use of aids during runs.
@LAKid53 and @Rteetz I can't do Gu either, it just doesn't sit well with me and I crashed hard after using one.

I am worried about the crash this might create. I never have taken any kind of energy drinks (besides Gatorade, Powerade if you count that).
You should; or at least a sports drink with electrolytes for longer runs, which will help rebalance what you are loosing as you sweat.
I can do that, I do during the actual Disney runs but I can incorporate that into training runs as well.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I am worried about the crash this might create. I never have taken any kind of energy drinks (besides Gatorade, Powerade if you count that).

I can do that, I do during the actual Disney runs but I can incorporate that into training runs as well.

Your hydration and fueling should be what you're going to do during a race.

And don't forget to fuel several days before a race, along with hydrating.

Surferboy567

Two questions for the seasoned vets:

1.) When are maps typically released for marathon weekend?

2.) When it comes to medal framing, say I do (knock on wood) finish the Dopey Challenge. I am definitely going to get my medals framed. In the past I’ve used art of Disney this was done however with Wine & Dine. Only containing 4 medals, Dopey has 6 are they able to frame that many medals?

Another question, is Art of Disney the best option when it comes to framing medals? I thought the Wine & Dine one was done well, and that was without a character sketch as I used the EPCOT location.

Rteetz

Two questions for the seasoned vets:

1.) When are maps typically released for marathon weekend?

2.) When it comes to medal framing, say I do (knock on wood) finish the Dopey Challenge. I am definitely going to get my medals framed. In the past I’ve used art of Disney this was done however with Wine & Dine. Only containing 4 medals, Dopey has 6 are they able to frame that many medals?

Another question, is Art of Disney the best option when it comes to framing medals? I thought the Wine & Dine one was done well, and that was without a character sketch as I used the EPCOT location.
1. Roughly two weeks before for each race weekend. Marathon Weekend rarely changes much at all so just assume what was last years will be this years with some slight changes.
2. I know Art of Disney will do all six. I’ve never had them done myself so I’m not sure on the process or cost personally. There are a few companies that do this third party as well. Usually 1-2 are listed in the event guide and there are usually some at the expo you can look at.

Greenlawler

Did my 8 yesterday pretty easily, no issues ran at race pace.

Did my 18 today, first 16 miles no problems ran at race pace. Ran while watching the Titans vs Jags game. Once the Titans lost, I had no desire to run on that treadmill any longer, so I went outside. Did a lot of walking on those last two miles.

I hope they put some good characters out this year.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Pretty big week for me in terms of Dopey Training. The training plan called for the following distances this week. Next to each distance I put what I actually ran (which in most cases is close or right on the distance target).

Tuesday - 45 minutes (Actual 2.83 miles)
Thursday - 45 minutes (Actual 3.58 miles)
Friday - 4 mile walk (Actual 4 miles)
Saturday - 10 mile walk (Actual 10.18 miles)
Sunday - 23 mile run (Actual 22.27 miles)

The beginning part of this week in terms of training basically went off pretty well. No real issues besides some light soreness.

Once I started the 23 mile run on Sunday that also went off basically without a hitch. The reason I did cut it off short by basically .70 miles was that I was getting hungry, had next to no hydration, and it was raining. To avoid getting sick I wanted to call it off so that I wouldn’t sustain anything. After the 23 mile run I basically spent the rest of the day in bed and hobbling around. Definitely pretty sore but that is to be expected it is already steadily improving. At the conclusion of this run if not for the factors listed above I definitely feel I could have finished. I also feel I could have run the full marathon distance something I’ll be attempting to test in my last long run in 2 weeks (minus .2 miles). It also gives me an idea of how mobile I will be when it comes to exploring the parks after races.

Here are my stats for my long run:

Time: 05:08:32
Distance: 22.27 miles
Avg Pace: 13:51
*Longest run ever recorded

What is great about these numbers is that it tells the story that I should be able to finish (knock on wood) the marathon portion of Dopey without being swept. It’s also worth noting I walked the last 1.5 miles of this long run. Obviously the course, conditions, and lots of other factors are different in Florida but these numbers are encouraging. As said above, I only have one more long run/Dopey simulation week in 2 weeks then I start tapering before Dopey proper. Of course, we won’t know if I’m actually capable of finishing the proper Dopey challenge until race weekend but everything is being done in order to ensure readiness. I have yet to miss a run in the 22 weeks I have been training another first as this is the longest I have trained for anything.

In the lead up to the last long run, I plan on still training as the training plan says but taking it easier to ensure proper recovery.

Last edited:

pdude81

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Pretty big week for me in terms of Dopey Training. The training plan called for the following distances this week. Next to each distance I put what I actually ran (which in most cases is close or right on the distance target).

Tuesday - 45 minutes (Actual 2.83 miles)
Thursday - 45 minutes (Actual 3.58 miles)
Friday - 4 mile walk (Actual 4 miles)
Saturday - 10 mile walk (Actual 10.18 miles)
Sunday - 23 mile run (Actual 22.27 miles)

The beginning part of this week in terms of training basically went off pretty well. No real issues besides some light soreness.

Once I started the 23 mile run on Sunday that also went off basically without a hitch. The reason I did cut it off short by basically .70 miles was that I was getting hungry, had next to no hydration, and it was raining. To avoid getting sick I wanted to call it off so that I wouldn’t sustain anything. After the 23 mile run I basically spent the rest of the day in bed and hobbling around. Definitely pretty sore but that is to be expected it is already steadily improving. At the conclusion of this run if not for the factors listed above I definitely feel I could have finished. I also feel I could have run the full marathon distance something I’ll be attempting to test in my last long run in 2 weeks (minus .2 miles). It also gives me an idea of how mobile I will be when it comes to exploring the parks after races.

Here are my stats for my long run:

Time: 05:08:32
Distance: 22.27 miles
Avg Pace: 13:51
*Longest run ever recorded

What is great about these numbers is that it tells the story that I should be able to finish (knock on wood) the marathon portion of Dopey without being swept. It’s also worth noting I walked the last 1.5 miles of this long run. Obviously the course, conditions, and lots of other factors are different in Florida but these numbers are encouraging. As said above, I only have one more long run/Dopey simulation week in 2 weeks then I start tapering before Dopey proper. Of course, we won’t know if I’m actually capable of finishing the proper Dopey challenge until race weekend but everything is being done in order to ensure readiness. I have yet to miss a run in the 22 weeks I have been training another first as this is the longest I have trained for anything.

In the lead up to the last long run, I plan on still training as the training plan says but taking it easier to ensure proper recovery.
Great stuff. You have enough base to finish Dopey for sure, but the main challenge is to keep moving or jog/walking on Sunday when you hit the wall. So much of this is mental, but the physical preparation decides what the inputs are to your brain when making these decisions.

Surferboy567

Great stuff. You have enough base to finish Dopey for sure, but the main challenge is to keep moving or jog/walking on Sunday when you hit the wall. So much of this is mental, but the physical preparation decides what the inputs are to your brain when making these decisions.
Thanks! I already have experience with the wall, I’ve hit it during some of my earlier training runs. Hoping pure determination, crowds, and other factors will get me through it. Probably won’t be easy but that is what makes it a challenge.

Surferboy567

After Sunday’s long run I opted to turn today’s maintenance run into a walk. I’m fine but have a little bit of soreness (nothing too bad) and want to make sure I give myself enough time to recover. I plan on running again on Thursday or at the latest Saturday.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
After Sunday’s long run I opted to turn today’s maintenance run into a walk. I’m fine but have a little bit of soreness (nothing too bad) and want to make sure I give myself enough time to recover. I plan on running again on Thursday or at the latest Saturday.

Glad to see you are listening to your body and not blindly following the training plan. I am positive I will be reading a post in early January about the successful completion of your first Dopey.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom