Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

pdude81

I wouldn't. With all the cancellations and delays...and flying out of Philly in the winter...it's too big a risk.
Good point. Usually not a problem but I can't risk it. BWI has a million flights a day. I just don't love the 2.5 drive back after the 2 hour flight on the day after I wrap up Dopey. Chances are that I'll live, though.

Dr.GrantSeeker

Random question about runDisney races. Do top place finishers get anything other than the medal that everyone else gets? As a runner, I was just wondering what incentives there are for serious runners to come run these races.

Rteetz

Random question about runDisney races. Do top place finishers get anything other than the medal that everyone else gets? As a runner, I was just wondering what incentives there are for serious runners to come run these races.
I believe top three overall get a trophy. Age group awards are typically a plaque. There are no cash prizes.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Top 3 finishers in each category get an additional medal, IIRC.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I believe top three overall get a trophy. Age group awards are typically a plaque. There are no cash prizes.

Screenshot_20230809-140206.png

And, of course, bragging rights. I also remember a photo?

Surferboy567

Source: MouseGen

Timestamp 9:15 shows the plaque. It’s from 2019 Princess but should give a good idea. He received second place in his age group.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
A lot of races were open for quite awhile today (compared to the usual blink-and-you-miss-it releases) for Marathon Weekend. All events opened up a little before 1:40pm (EDT) and the last Goofy slot sold a bit after 4pm. Even had a 5-6 minute queue early on and still had spots open in everything from the Half through Dopey when I checked it out and got through (around 2:00).

Maybe they decided they could finally increase the participants back to pre-Covid numbers? Maybe they got some pressure due to the recent dips in attendance to bring more guaranteed customers however they can? Maybe a little of both? 😁

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Fellow WDW Marathoners, and Dopey participants. Quick reminder tomorrow is the deadline for submitting proof of time. I will not be submitting proof as I am no where close to the qualifications.

Side Question: Do they put Dopey Challengers in the very last corral? This is my first marathon weekend, if they do then it will be just like every other race weekend where they put challengers in the last corral. Hoping to have a little wiggle room but understand if they put us in the last corral.

pdude81

Fellow WDW Marathoners, and Dopey participants. Quick reminder tomorrow is the deadline for submitting proof of time. I will not be submitting proof as I am no where close to the qualifications.

Side Question: Do they put Dopey Challengers in the very last corral? This is my first marathon weekend, if they do then it will be just like every other race weekend where they put challengers in the last corral. Hoping to have a little wiggle room but understand if they put us in the last corral.
I believe I was in C last year as a Dopey runner. They do it based on the times you select or PoT if you have one. But they get those races going so fast these days that there isn't much wiggle room no matter what.

Surferboy567

I believe I was in C last year as a Dopey runner. They do it based on the times you select or PoT if you have one. But they get those races going so fast these days that there isn't much wiggle room no matter what.
At Springtime Surprise this year I ran the challenge. As usual, I was put into the last coral. Probably toward the front as I was on the first bus.

For the 10-miler roll Disney started at 4:58 according to my video.

First runners started at 5:00

I didn’t start running till 6:02

Not really complaining but an hour is a big difference. Especially if my pace degenerates. I’m probably overthinking this but that email made me start thinking about corals.

pdude81

At Springtime Surprise this year I ran the challenge. As usual, I was put into the last coral. Probably toward the front as I was on the first bus.

For the 10-miler roll Disney started at 4:58 according to my video.

First runners started at 5:00

I didn’t start running till 6:02

Not really complaining but an hour is a big difference. Especially if my pace degenerates. I’m probably overthinking this but that email made me start thinking about corals.
Sure, but the marathon is a different animal than the 10-miler due to road and park disruptions. Last runner at the marathon in 2023 started at 5:45. I was at the front of C, which was rather large, and I started at 5:13. Certainly helped provide some cushion from the balloon ladies as I *forgot* to train last year, but the marathon starts are fast and furious.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Sure, but the marathon is a different animal than the 10-miler due to road and park disruptions. Last runner at the marathon in 2023 started at 5:45. I was at the front of C, which was rather large, and I started at 5:13. Certainly helped provide some cushion from the balloon ladies as I *forgot* to train last year, but the marathon starts are fast and furious.
Speaking of training, how is (yours) and everybody's training that are running in Marathon weekend this year?

pdude81

Speaking of training, how is (yours) and everybody's training that are running in Marathon weekend this year?
I wouldn't say it's going, haha. I'm actually running less somehow this year than last. I have good intentions though... just never seem to get out there.
1695735462982.png

You might be able to guess what the spikes for January and April are 🤣

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

I have never run Dopey but all of my rD races I've been a challenge racer and I've NEVER been put in the last corral. Even when I was a 14+ min/mile. I'm assuming placement is based off of your estimated pace/finish.
When I was an 8+ to 9 pace runner and having done several Dopey's plus other races my corrals were either B or C. I assumed the corral placements were based off established race times from multiple races, which would be perfectly fair. However, it never failed that at the start there always many walkers (some never ran from the start other stop running and walk after 100 or so yards). Of irritation to me and other runners working to get up to race pace was the fact so many walkers would crowd the start line creating moving roadblocks to be maneuvered around, side stepped and passed for the first 300 yards or so. Always curious how so many walkers would be able to get into the front faster groups B and C plus the lack of race courtesy to not obstruct or hinder the actual runners. Want to walk? by all means enjoy (all registered participants have the same right to be on the course) no need to become an obstruction to those that want to run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom