Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Surferboy567

I have just received the two pairs of shoes I will be running Dopey in I have around 35 days now to alternate between them and break them in.

I was told by the good people of this forum to under no circumstances should I be running dopey in the same shoe so I am taking two new pairs.

The Saucony Tempus will be my official running shoe of Dopey. It’s the same shoe I have been training in (different colors). It’s time though to get two new pairs as the old pair I have been running on for the entire duration of Dopey Training.

The remainder of Dopey Training will be done in these shoes and Dopey proper will also be run in these.

pdude81

I have just received the two pairs of shoes I will be running Dopey in I have around 35 days now to alternate between them and break them in.

I was told by the good people of this forum to under no circumstances should I be running dopey in the same shoe so I am taking two new pairs.

The Saucony Tempus will be my official running shoe of Dopey. It’s the same shoe I have been training in (different colors). It’s time though to get two new pairs as the old pair I have been running on for the entire duration of Dopey Training.

The remainder of Dopey Training will be done in these shoes and Dopey proper will also be run in these.
Yeah you def want two pairs of shoes. It's a good idea regardless, but just in case you end up in a downpour, you don't want to be soggy foot running multiple days in a row.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

I read that it takes around 48 hours for the shoe - mainly the nice cushiony sole - to recover. Plus, it DOES rain during races. See Star Wars 2019, W&D 2021. You don't want to run in wet shoes. I wear less cushiony shoes for the shorter distances.

I coordinate my shoes with my race outfit, including skirt. And my Goodr sunglasses always match. 😁

Surferboy567

I read that it takes around 48 hours for the shoe - mainly the nice cushiony sole - to recover. Plus, it DOES rain during races. See Star Wars 2019, W&D 2021. You don't want to run in wet shoes. I wear less cushiony shoes for the shorter distances.

I coordinate my shoes with my race outfit, including skirt. And my Goodr sunglasses always match. 😁
I actually ran in W&D 2021, so I am familiar. Luckily it was the last race in the challenge, also I was getting sweaty so the rain helped in the beginning.

Funny enough I just bought some running shorts to see if I can coordinate with the shirts we will receive during the expo. I normally wear the race shirts during any given race but we will see if I’ll still do that due to the weather. During the 5K and 10K it doesn’t really matter though.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I actually ran in W&D 2021, so I am familiar. Luckily it was the last race in the challenge, also I was getting sweaty so the rain helped in the beginning.

Funny enough I just bought some running shorts to see if I can coordinate with the shirts we will receive during the expo. I normally wear the race shirts during any given race but we will see if I’ll still do that due to the weather. During the 5K and 10K it doesn’t really matter though.

I dislike the race shirts...too much plastic on them and the fabric is no longer the performance fabric the Champion shirts had.

surfsupdon

Looks like I am a scratch for Dopey this year. Having hip issues and just don't think it's a good idea to do this with inadequate training. Winging it healthy is one thing, but starting out injured would be a poor choice. I hope everyone else has a great weekend though!
So many thoughts here!!!

I am so sorry to hear. Big bummer.
And for that chunk of money they won’t refund you, right?
Is there anyway I can get your bib/spot. I am sure that’s illegal to ask.😂

pdude81

So many thoughts here!!!

I am so sorry to hear. Big bummer.
And for that chunk of money they won’t refund you, right?
Is there anyway I can get your bib/spot. I am sure that’s illegal to ask.😂
All good. I asked and they may give me half of the amount before fees back as a courtesy. I honestly think that should be regular procedure if they aren't going to sell race insurance at registration time. So my registration will likely show back up on the site at some point in the next day or two. Otherwise I'd just make them keep it there so they don't stiff me and sell to someone else.

But thanks for the kind words. I have recently seen a post or two on runDisney fb group that some of the charity partners still have bibs or people that have to drop and have other options. That's big money though so might not be an option for you. However, if people don't end up registering perhaps there will be another inventory drop.

Surferboy567

I know we don’t have maps but similar to the Disneyland thread any tips for spectating marathon weekend? My travel party is starting to ask questions and make arrangements.

I imagine Main Street and EPCOT are obvious choices. I also have to factor in that you only get one park pass and can’t hop before 2 PM.

pdude81

I know we don’t have maps but similar to the Disneyland thread any tips for spectating marathon weekend? My travel party is starting to ask questions and make arrangements.

I imagine Main Street and EPCOT are obvious choices. I also have to factor in that you only get one park pass and can’t hop before 2 PM.
Depends on which race. But for the long races you can often see people on Main St, then monorail over to the TTC and catch people on the roads near Polynesian, and Epcot for the finish. MK is before the park opens so you shouldn't have to use up a pass on that. They could also see you potentially at the front of DHS without going in, before taking the skyliner back over to Epcot for the finish.

Greenlawler

Ran my 9 miler last night at race pace. Probably should not have waited till 5pm.

Because I was back at it this morning with 19 miles at 11:30 am.

Honestly this was one of my better training long runs I can remember. It helped that the Titans game was so entertaining and lasted up until my last mile (the result sucked though).

Ran at race pace for the first 17 miles, then slowed a little with some walk breaks.

Odd thing happened though afterwards, my right bicep started cramping, horribly. That was a first in all my years of distance running. I hydrated pretty well. Guess with age brings new problems.

Last edited:

MoonRakerSCM

I'm only doing the 5k and the half in January (also the 5k and half at Dland), but my training has taken quite a hit. I'm doing 12 hour days seven days a week for an emergency army corps job and by the time I'm back at my place at the end of the day, it's dark, and I'm exhausted! Did 1.5mi today out of stubbornness but that got me SPENT.

O.O

Surferboy567

Fellow Marathon Weekend Racers,

Our first preliminary forecast is here:

1/4 (5K) - High: 73 Low: 58
1/5 (10K) - High: 73 Low: 58
1/6 (Half) - High: 74 Low: 57 (a little rain in the morning, afternoon showers, 12% chance of thunderstorms)
1/7 (Full) - High: 67 Low: 54 (periods of rain)

Found this off the other fourms. Email reminder of the VQ was also sent. Shouldn’t be long till we get the guide.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Fellow Marathon Weekend Racers,

Our first preliminary forecast is here:

1/4 (5K) - High: 73 Low: 58
1/5 (10K) - High: 73 Low: 58
1/6 (Half) - High: 74 Low: 57 (a little rain in the morning, afternoon showers, 12% chance of thunderstorms)
1/7 (Full) - High: 67 Low: 54 (periods of rain)

Found this off the other fourms. Email reminder of the VQ was also sent. Shouldn’t be long till we get the guide.

It needs to be colder.

And yes, I live in Florida. Cold winters make up for July, August and September. Well, kinda.

Surferboy567

Dopey Training Week 24 has finally come to an end. The training plan called for the following:

Tuesday - 45 mins
Thursday - 45 mins
Saturday - 7 miles

What I did:

Tuesday - 45 min walk
Friday - 45 min walk
Saturday - 7 mile run

I opted to walk all maintenance runs since I was feeling sore. Today when I set out for my long run the soreness returned. I was able to run it no problem but something to keep an eye on. Hoping the time before the first run next week on Tuesday will be sufficient in terms of rest.

Next week represents the final “long” run of the training plan also known as Dopey Simulation week. On Sunday, next weekend I will be running 26 miles. Then after that tapering begins for marathon weekend. I plan on taking it very easy but still following the training plan. Before I know it, Marathon Weekend will be upon us. Hoping we get the event guide next week.

Surferboy567

Club runDisney email went out to all members detailing all the perks. Unfortunately, it looks like I’m going to be missing the early shopping window flight gets in a little too late.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom