Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I'm assuming placement is based off of your estimated pace/finish.

I can’t speak for runDisney but that is usually my experience in races over here, but not this weekend! In general, fewer slow runners participate in races in Europe (or maybe it is only Switzerland). I am always truthful about my times, but normally for a 10k here there will be various choices and then > 1 hour. I know I chose that for the race I just did on Saturday, as did my bestie - she’s faster than me but still takes her just under 1h10 for a 10k. The 50 minute pacer was in our corral! And despite trying to stay as far to the side as possible, there were numerous runners who pushed their way through - I was just glad no one stumbled.

Greenlawler

So, I ran 15 miles today after 5 miles yesterday. I realized I was dreadfully behind on my Dopey training and decided to jump back in today. I am so glad my body still knows how to handle these long runs. After doing this for so long it was not so bad. However, I am not looking forward to the 19 and 20 mile runs in the coming weeks. At mile 14 I started cramping. I guess it's because I had not done anything longer than a 12 since last January.

I did today's 15 miler at a steady 10 minute per mile pace.

It was a decent run. I was worried about this Dopey, but I feel good post run.

Glad Dopey training calls for a down week next week.

It would totally help if the Titans had won today. I always run my long runs while watching the NFL.

Last edited:

MoonRakerSCM

Anyone not have their half show up in their rundisney account? My 5k does, but not my half. I do have that most important confirmation email...

Do I need to call?

pdude81

Anyone not have their half show up in their rundisney account? My 5k does, but not my half. I do have that most important confirmation email...

Do I need to call?
Lots of people lose reservations after they fill out the waiver. If that happened you can usually email and they'll fix it.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
With two opportunities to earn it (technically they are two different medals if you do it during the Jan race vs the September race) makes it significantly easier to earn.

The only difference I remember was the color of the lanyard. Pink if you did Princess at WDW and Tinkerbell at WDW.

Surferboy567

Last week was a wild week in terms of Dopey Training, the actual training plan and virtual wine & dine collided to form the hardest week of training I’ve had.

Tuesday: 45 minutes was a good run, back calf was hurting a little bit from Sunday’s club runDisney 10K. May of pushed too hard there.

Thursday: 45 minutes was a good run, back calf still hurting. In addition to having run 45 minutes I also wanted to squeeze in my Virtual Wine and Dine 5K. Which I recorded in a separate file even though they were run one after the other I never actually stopped moving.

Saturday: The training plan called for an 8 mile WALK I however was trying to fit in my Virtual Two Course Challenge. I ran the first 6.2 miles in order to complete the Virtual Wine and Dine 10K. I even managed to PR (I didn’t actively try to PR it just organically happened) which would lead to problems on Sunday. I walked the remaining distance needed to cross 8 miles.

Sunday: The training plan called for a 20 mile run. My back calf was hurting more from yesterday’s 10K PR race and walk. So I started off the day dousing my leg in Bio Freeze to try and mitigate the pain which somehow worked. As like before I was trying to complete the last race in the Two Course Challenge the Virtual Wine and Dine Half Marathon. I recorded the first 13.1 miles in a separate file and then the remaining distance in another. Even though I never stopped moving (besides to drink water and to switch files). The first 13.1 miles went off without incident. I completed the Virtual Half Marathon with minimal problems this completed my Virtual Two Course Challenge on the same schedule as in person runners which was important to me that I ”honor” the challenge. Besides the occasional discomfort the real challenge came later. I had 6.9 miles left to make it to 20 to satisfy Dopey Training. I ran till about 3.5 miles into that after that, my legs simply needed a break leading me to walk the rest of the way to make it to 20. I walked (slowly) but I did make it to 20. I am definitely skeptical and a bit worried about this challenge now that I have finally hit 20 miles into training knowing how it feels this will also be my first marathon on top of my first Dopey and first Marathon Weekend. I know that I can do this though. Motivation and mind games is also very hard to fight on a trail with no spectators and no entertainment. I plan to take the next two weeks pretty easy in terms of running, will be following the plan as normal which works out since these next two weeks seem to be light. Their are two more long runs on this training cycle before the Dopey Challenge proper. Hoping my legs can relax and possibly heal any calf pains.

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@Surferboy567 I know you say the next two weeks are lighter training weeks - but make sure to listen to your body to ensure that you are giving it the proper time to recover and heal. Maybe plan on walking the distance of at least one of the trainings in the next two weeks as opposed to running it.

I too am sure you are up to the dopey challenge!

Surferboy567

@Surferboy567 I know you say the next two weeks are lighter training weeks - but make sure to listen to your body to ensure that you are giving it the proper time to recover and heal. Maybe plan on walking the distance of at least one of the trainings in the next two weeks as opposed to running it.

I too am sure you are up to the dopey challenge!
Thanks @Swissmiss, definitely going to see how I’m feeling and go from there. Have to walk that fine line between satisfying my training plan and body. Walking (depending on how I’m feeling) isn’t a bad idea. I can also shift the schedule a little bit to give myself more time in between runs while still satisfying my training plan.

I hope I am up to the Dopey Challenge! Just going to keep at it and (knock on wood) hopefully I can pull it off!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
@Surferboy567 do you use any gels or anything nutritional on your long runs?

I use Honey Stinger chews and Jelly Belly sports beans. Can purchase both from Amazon. Gels are too thick for me.

1000004398.png

1000004399.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom