Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Kristia

171 days 20 hour and 7 minutes until the marathon!
I'm Lindsay and this is my first Disney race and first full marathon. I will be running with my brother (who is super slacking on his training right now) and we are just starting to plan our trip for January. We are trying to keep in mind the goal of this trip is the marathon so we aren't going to be doing crazy hours in the park as we normally would. As for my training I have been following the Galloway plan doing at least 45 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursday (4-5 miles) but keeping to his set mileage on the weekend. I have done several short races 5k- 5mile in NYC and have plans for a 10k (for the time to submit for the marathon) and a half before the race comes up to prepare. Just wanted to pop in and say "hi"!
Welcome to the running boards! My hubbie and I will be doing the half and the full marathon to get a Goofy medal! Luckily we both motivate each other to keep training. When I have a day I don't feel like running, he makes me get out there and vice versa. Good luck with your training and upcoming races!

Ariel484

So I figured this would happen since the marathon is kind of late this year...but still, I'm sad to see the confirmed dates for the Osbourne Lights this year - they end on January 4. I think that's a good indication that the Christmas decorations won't be around for Marathon Weekend. :(

Mad Stitch

I'm Lindsay and this is my first Disney race and first full marathon. I will be running with my brother (who is super slacking on his training right now) and we are just starting to plan our trip for January. We are trying to keep in mind the goal of this trip is the marathon so we aren't going to be doing crazy hours in the park as we normally would. As for my training I have been following the Galloway plan doing at least 45 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursday (4-5 miles) but keeping to his set mileage on the weekend. I have done several short races 5k- 5mile in NYC and have plans for a 10k (for the time to submit for the marathon) and a half before the race comes up to prepare. Just wanted to pop in and say "hi"!

Welcome. Just a comment about the Galloway training program, he exceeds 26.2 during his long runs and most people around here agree that it isn’t necessary. That kind of distance just subjects you to potential injury. When you get to those weeks you may want to consider lower mileage on the long run and make up for it by adding a few more miles during the week runs.

Ah...your brother sounds like my brother. We are also going to be participating in marathon weekend, and I'm pretty sure he won't be training as diligently as I will be (if history is any indication...he didn't train for the 2011 Princess Half and didn't train much for the 2012 WDW Full). Silly brothers! :rolleyes:

Didn't train much for the full! Did he need to crawl across the finish line? :p

Mad Stitch

So I figured this would happen since the marathon is kind of late this year...but still, I'm sad to see the confirmed dates for the Osbourne Lights this year - they end on January 4. I think that's a good indication that the Christmas decorations won't be around for Marathon Weekend. :(

I like having the extra week this year. It creates a little bit of a buffer between the race and the hectic holidays.

Ariel484

Welcome. Just a comment about the Galloway training program, he exceeds 26.2 during his long runs and most people around here agree that it isn’t necessary. That kind of distance just subjects you to potential injury. When you get to those weeks you may want to consider lower mileage on the long run and make up for it by adding a few more miles during the week runs.

I SO agree with this. I know there are people out there that want to know they can complete the distance before the race day, but...I don't know. As I've said quite a few times (haha :D) in various threads, this doesn't make sense to me. I'm with you...I'd lower those runs to 19 or 20 miles.

Didn't train much for the full! Did he need to crawl across the finish line? :p

Nope! He was in better shape than I was at the end...even though I trained a lot more than he did. :rolleyes: In fairness to him, we live in different states so I can't be COMPLETELY sure of how much he did, but I know he maxed out at a 14-miler. He's just a busy dude...it'll probably be similar this year, but we're going Goofy, so it'll be a whole different story!

I like having the extra week this year. It creates a little bit of a buffer between the race and the hectic holidays.

Me too, definitely. I'm hoping for lighter crowds...but I really did enjoy seeing the Christmas decorations during Marathon Weekend this past January. Oh well.

Witchy Chick

Hi!! My DH will be running the marathon with you (and you know, thousands of other runners). :) 5K for me, and 100-yard dash kid race for our 2-year-old, and 200-yard dash kid race for our 4 year old.

If anyone else is having kiddos run races, I would like to put this info out there. The runDisney site states that race packets need to be picked up prior to race day (even for kids). Our kids are registered for the Thursday 3pm races, and the Expo is not open the day before. In this instance, packet pick up is allowed on race day (kids races only).

Thursday is going to be a busy day for us. Flying into Orlando, checking in, packet pick up for all four of us, kids races, naps (hopefully), dinner at 'Ohana. Wishes viewing on Polynesian beach (hopefully). Can't wait!!

Witchy

Texas84

Are you running Wine & Dine? Lights will be on!

LindsayLoves

Thanks for the wonderful welcome! The tips are all greatly appreciated, especially on the Galloway program. I will definitely try to limit myself on those weeks that he suggests to go over 20 miles. I have a feeling that it will be hard to keep myself going that long when its not in a race setting, that always gives you the extra boost to perform and not stop.

I am super impressed by all of you going for the Goofy, definitely something strive for in 2014 depending on how well this race goes...

Ariel484

Are you running Wine & Dine? Lights will be on!

Not this year :( Someday I hope!

Thanks for the wonderful welcome! The tips are all greatly appreciated, especially on the Galloway program. I will definitely try to limit myself on those weeks that he suggests to go over 20 miles. I have a feeling that it will be hard to keep myself going that long when its not in a race setting, that always gives you the extra boost to perform and not stop.

I am super impressed by all of you going for the Goofy, definitely something strive for in 2014 depending on how well this race goes...

Be aware, these Disney races are SUPER addicting!

dreamfinder

Well, last year they did add on a few extra days to the Osborne lights like mid December.

Looking at my pictures from this past January, on the 9th MK still had the tree up, and still had the castle lit, and topiary was in place. The 10th Epcot still had in store decorations (UK I'm looking at you), but no front planter decorations. The 11th had the AK Character greeting trails were still decorated, but no more costumes for the characters, but the tree was still up.The 12th DHS had no more decorations up, and the MK topiary was gone. The 14th the AK tree was gone.

And I checked out some older pictures from 2008 (Half on 12th, Full on 13th so close to this years dates) and I'm not seeing any in park decorations during the races then. So it may be a bit barren for those hoping to see Christmas stuff up. Maybe if you are down there the week before, but from the races on I would say it will be next to nothing, unless there is another freak cold snap.

Orpheus7696

Hey guys I have a question? When the marathon is over do you get your times for each mile you ran or is that something that I should keep track of myself?

Kristia

You don't get your times for every mile. There are some split times recorded at 5miles, 10 miles and 20 miles, I think. These are also the points where your friend's or family can be emailed or texted on your times as you cross these timing mats. Not absolutely positive if those were the only points but it definitely wasn't every mile.

dreamfinder

Hey guys I have a question? When the marathon is over do you get your times for each mile you ran or is that something that I should keep track of myself?

You would want to set your timing device to record miles splits. Sending out 25,000 x 26 SMSs would be a bit of a challenge. Sending out 25,000 x 3 is better. And even that some years they had problems. Once I think my parents got the 5mi SMS like 10 minutes late, the half marathon like 45 mins late, and the other two splits well after I had actually finished the race.

Ariel484

In 2012 the results included splits at 5 miles, 10 miles, 13.1 miles and 20 miles (and the finish, obviously). These are the only "official" splits that Disney provides.

Ariel484

From runDisney's Facebook page...a hint that we'll get a medal reveal soon? o_O

runDisney Facebook said:
Word on the street is Donald is pretty jealous about Mickey's special 20th Anniversary Walt Disney World Marathon medal design. He loved his medal last year (pictured below) and wants a new one again... Should we tell him we've already designed him one?

Ariel484

Ah! I’m not on Facebook. Can someone here who is on Facebook share what this game is all about.
https://www.facebook.com/RunDisney/app_325621714195153

Me neither...I'm pretty anti-Facebook, I just check the runDisney page every once in awhile. So I was pretty annoyed to see that the first step in the game is to "Like" the game on Facebook. :mad: These runDisney games are not cute...Tinkerbell Half announcement anyone?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom