News Walt Disney World Annual Pass price increases October 2023

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think if they do want to do something with Genie+ for APs, it’ll come when they announce specifics on the changes to Genie+ they said would come early next year.

They don’t want to.

APs are not getting it: they view you as a loser even when they doubled the price. They want daily gate and people who are likely to spend more because they have less merch exposure.

When someone tells you what they are: believe them.

The “changes” to genie are likely more bundling/repackaging to sell more margins.

I bet it’s trying to eliminate the day by day buying…which they view as a “loss” - I’m sure

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
No, no. Those are the worst guests. Haven't you heard? APs bring food into the parks and have picnics and take up space that the poor paying guests then cannot use. And DVC people... Oh boy. They have the gall to buy their own food, make it in their rooms, and then flood the parks! And neither group spends anything once in the parks. I think one or two experts around here have all the AP/DVC sins documented somewhere...
They should definitely charge AP and DVC members more. What a shame how they take advantage of all the magic

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
That statement is so broad ("Information" is the worst marketing term) that you could argue it includes everything/anything. Go back to the original justification for the Florida Project, and you'll see that the company recognized that hotels/transportation (within the resort)/etc. were all part of the "vacation destination" plan.
That was then.

This is now, when the ex-weatherman is in charge of meeting stockholder demands.

Selling off the parks and hotels and transportation system to a theme park company relieves Disney from the distractions of trying to be everything to everyone, and lets them concentrate on developing, acquiring, and managing -- read "leasing" -- their IP stable without accompanying headcount issues, all the better to boost the bottom line at the end of each quarter.

hopemax

So increase before recession?…gee, they won’t figure that out!

What it will do is the opposite: they’ll suffer more loss when it comes.

But If you’re in your endgame and don’t care - as Bob Iger is - you don’t care.
More proof
We aren’t having a recession. That’s the thing many people can’t seem to accept. But when your labor supply is tight like we have, the world needs a massive amount of goods, and the supply chains remain tight (war is bad for helping relieve this pressure) prices will rise. Everyone is all waiting for some 70s era blow up, that they’ve missed actual economists talking about the similarity to post-WWII inflationary period.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So the second Price Increase in less than a year.

12/2022 and 10/2023 Cumulative Price Increase

• Incredi-Pass: going from $1,299 to $1,449($150 TOTAL increase)
  • Sorcerer Pass: going from $899 to $999($100 TOTAL increase)
  • Pirate Pass: going from $699 to $799 ($100 TOTAL increase)
  • Pixie Dust Pass: staying at $439($40 TOTAL increase)
Occasionally I’ll look at it…

And the conclusion is the same:
1 has a ridiculous price
The other 3 are degrees of useless

My…how a great thing - the annual pass - has fallen 😔

CJR

So the second Price Increase in less than a year.

12/2022 and 10/2023 Cumulative Price Increase

• Incredi-Pass: going from $1,299 to $1,449($150 TOTAL increase)
  • Sorcerer Pass: going from $899 to $999($100 TOTAL increase)
  • Pirate Pass: going from $699 to $799 ($100 TOTAL increase)
  • Pixie Dust Pass: staying at $439($40 TOTAL increase)

Question (to anyone, not just monothingie): Is the Pirate Pass worth double the cost of the Pixie Dust Pass? You get weekends with it, but is weekend access worth (almost) double to you?

Any other "benefits" to the Pirate Pass that I'm overlooking here? Seems like the Sorcerer Pass is a way better value than the Pirate Pass, all things considered.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We aren’t having a recession. That’s the thing many people can’t seem to accept. But when your labor supply is tight like we have, the world needs a massive amount of goods, and the supply chains remain tight (war is bad for helping relieve this pressure) prices will rise. Everyone is all waiting for some 70s era blow up, that they’ve missed actual economists talking about the similarity to post-WWII inflationary period.
We’re not in a recession…which is why the attendance issues are such a red flag

Are you suggesting there will never be a recession?
Oh my sweet child…somehow everyone can be rich and nothing matters anymore.
We need to talk about that one.

The labor glut is the oldest sect of the workforce retiring during the plague and reversing decades of trend.

But that will catch up quickly…because debt is out of control and rising…spurred by our of control pricing.

You have to apply your freshman Econ textbook to the situation on the ground

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
They don’t want to.

APs are not getting it: they view you as a loser even when they doubled the price. They want daily gate and people who are likely to spend more because they have less merch exposure.

When someone tells you what they are: believe them.

The “changes” to genie are likely more bundling/repackaging to sell more margins.

I bet it’s trying to eliminate the day by day buying…which they view as a “loss” - I’m sure
IMHO I don't see the correlation when you compare multiple week + trips in a year.

I looked at pricing just for tickets this morning for our December trip and it would be $745.07 per person for one park per day or 840.07 per person with park hopping. AP prices are not egregious if you visit two or more times a year for a week.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Question (to anyone, not just monothingie): Is the Pirate Pass worth double the cost of the Pixie Dust Pass? You get weekends with it, but is weekend access worth (almost) double to you?

Any other "benefits" to the Pirate Pass that I'm overlooking here? Seems like the Sorcerer Pass is a way better value than the Pirate Pass, all things considered.
Remember the lower tiers are Florida residents only…and Florida is low wage.

So they’re not all “equal” in their goals/markets

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
IMHO I don't see the correlation when you compare multiple week + trips in a year.

I looked at pricing just for tickets this morning for our December trip and it would be $745.07 per person for one park per day or 840.07 per person with park hopping. AP prices are not egregious if you visit two or more times a year for a week.
Well the concept is all prices are egregious/ that’s the start point.

Profits are from the shop…not the turnstile or the rides. Which is why pricing for “both” is now bringing down the thunder.

But the real thing about passes is that they doubled them in 5 years and BS about. Couple that with a lack of park investment for 20 years and it starts to smell.

The “per day” value is also dependent on how much a mess parks are while you’re there.

Lots of ingredients in this soup.

They’re not a “whale” place. So $6000 annual donation for 4 that you go to 10-14 days a year is not a “just go with it” kinda thing now. I bet that is why pass numbers - we assume - have fallen in the end.

They also locked them out for 2 years and now want $500 more a head. Tacky, no?

Drdcm

Isn't the Pirate Pass also Florida only though? That's what I mean, is it worth double - to a Floridian?
I think it would depend on how flexible you can be. I wouldn’t realistically be able to use weekdays because I would have to take time off from work to do so, it would be much harder for me. Now if it is worth it would be more of a mathematical calculation taking that into account.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Well the concept is all prices are egregious/ that’s the start point.

Profits are from the shop…not the turnstile or the rides. Which is why pricing for “both” is now bringing down the thunder.

But the real thing about passes is that they doubled them in 5 years and BS about. Couple that with a lack of park investment for 20 years and it starts to smell.

The “per day” value is also dependent on how much a mess parks are while you’re there.

Lots of ingredients in this soup.

They’re not a “whale” place. So $6000 annual donation for 4 that you go to 10-14 days a year is not a “just go with it” kinda thing now. I bet that is why pass numbers - we assume - have fallen in the end.

They also locked them out for 2 years and now want $500 more a head. Tacky, no?

They also don't want roaming bands of juvenile delinquents ala Six Flags becoming the defacto local child care solution. You're accurate in identifying multiple factors feeding into pricing, but most are external to the company with the growth of market substitutes. When Epic Universe's price model becomes available you'll have a better in-market comparison of what exactly the market is for an Orlando destination vacation.

CJR

I think it would depend on how flexible you can be. I wouldn’t realistically be able to use weekdays because I would have to take time off from work to do so, it would be much harder for me. Now if it is worth it would be more of a mathematical calculation taking that into account.

That's a great point, and I think that's why it's (Pirate Pass) so much higher. People have no choice, with kids in school and such.

We had it (Pixie Dust) last year - hated it (going to be honest) - but we would just go after work for a few hours. We didn't feel as pressed to go on everything since we paid so much less. We still got to enjoy most seasonal offerings too, since those are night heavy. We filled in a few things with vacation days too though, otherwise, DAK would be next to impossible to visit. Saw the value, but when we get passes next, we're going to have weekend access.

Really though. What I'm getting at is this:
If you're willing to spend almost $400 more than the Pixie Dust pass, why not reach a little more and get the Sorcerer Pass that lifts most block out dates?

The price difference between those two passes is tiny compared to the Pixie Dust and Pirate Pass. It's almost like there should be another pass between them. Maybe bring back the theme park select pass or something, put it around $600.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member

If you qualify for a Gold equivalent pass your breakeven point at or around 12 days. If you want to go for the Platinum equivalent, you need to plan on visiting for 20 days+. The platinum equivalent has a tough business case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom