News Walt Disney World Annual Pass price increases October 2023

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
“We are constantly adding new, innovative attractions and entertainment to our parks and, with our broad array of pricing options, the value of a theme park visit is reflected in the unique experiences that only Disney can offer,” a Disney spokesperson said in a statement.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

hopemax

We’re not in a recession…which is why the attendance issues are such a red flag

Are you suggesting there will never be a recession?
Oh my sweet child…somehow everyone can be rich and nothing matters anymore.
We need to talk about that one.

The labor glut is the oldest sect of the workforce retiring during the plague and reversing decades of trend.

But that will catch up quickly…because debt is out of control and rising…spurred by our of control pricing.

You have to apply your freshman Econ textbook to the situation on the ground
Stop being so condescending and patronizing towards someone who has been on this beat longer than you. I know you have a schtick, but it is so frustrating to see so many people getting this so dang wrong. Especially based on a freak out by “haves” with social media platforms used to having anything they want when they want it, that so many pieces moving at once, they can’t handle the disruption. Growing pains are painful, and can feel like an injury. A lot will be changing to fix older mistakes (housing) while still not being recessionary… nor making everyone rich, please.

And yes, against a backdrop of opportunity, Disney losing clicks should absolutely be worrisome, because it indicates a problem with the product, that won’t be solved by pulling price levers.

Now to go back to my previous comment “protecting profit margins” was more about business expectations towards *their* expenses getting more out of control, than issues originating with their customers’ wallets like you ran with. Because not only is everything more expensive for everyone, for Disney, they have to address deficiencies in their product.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
If you qualify for a Gold equivalent pass your breakeven point at or around 12 days. If you want to go for the Platinum equivalent, you need to plan on visiting for 20 days+. The platinum equivalent has a tough business case.
One park per day for 7 days is 708.23 for the first week of December plus another 210 for parking for those dates, so the math gets less in your favor as you have factor in either a hotel stay and/orother transportation for not purchasing an AP.

bmr1591

Except for $1,450 incredipass holders. You still need a park reservation and will need to tap into your first park if you want to go to a second one before 2. Magical!

Not that I like reservations, but you could always just change the reservation real quick to whatever park you'd prefer to start at. It's really not that hard (though it is annoying).

One park per day for 7 days is 708.23 for the first week of December plus another 210 for parking for those dates, so the math gets less in your favor as you have factor in either a hotel stay and/orother transportation for not purchasing an AP.

The value of the passes comes from when you use them and how. If I take one trip starting December 1st for 10 days, it'll cost me $855.35 (through Undercover Tourist). If I take two five day trips, one starting November 1st and the other December 1st, the cost is $699.10 + $746.60 = $1445.70. Same amount of days, very different prices. So I don't believe @monothingie is correct in placing the value of the pass at 20+ days. If you went nonstop, sure, but that's not how most are using the Incredipass. If my wife and I did three weekend trips of three days, we'd save money buying the Incredipass.

All that to say, what this really shows is the obscene prices of daily tickets.

monothingie

Premium Member
So I don't believe @monothingie is correct in placing the value of the pass at 20+ days. If you went nonstop, sure, but that's not how most are using the Incredipass. If my wife and I did three weekend trips of three days, we'd save money buying the Incredipass.
Disney limits you to 10 day tickets. My common experience is that guests consider APs for longer trips in which the available ticket options do not fit.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Being an AP holder is such a financially vicious cycle. I end up "getting my money's worth" because we spend more money on merchandise and table service because of discounts, we travel more frequently without incremental costs for tickets, thus spending more on merch and dining. Out of DVC Points? Coronado is only $175 with AP discount? A steal! Let's go! And the cycle continues.

Yes, I am a sucker but I am a happy sucker. Besides, Mickey loves me enough to sometimes send me a special magnet.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Not that I like reservations, but you could always just change the reservation real quick to whatever park you'd prefer to start at. It's really not that hard (though it is annoying).

The value of the passes comes from when you use them and how. If I take one trip starting December 1st for 10 days, it'll cost me $855.35 (through Undercover Tourist). If I take two five day trips, one starting November 1st and the other December 1st, the cost is $699.10 + $746.60 = $1445.70. Same amount of days, very different prices. So I don't believe @monothingie is correct in placing the value of the pass at 20+ days. If you went nonstop, sure, but that's not how most are using the Incredipass. If my wife and I did three weekend trips of three days, we'd save money buying the Incredipass.

They are not giving admission away, that's for sure. What's not stated is exactly what they will cap each type of AP at, so it's not an open ended proposition.

We don't know exactly what Disney's fixed costs are to determine at what admission level per day represents a break even proposition, or even what level per cap spending after passing the tapestyles averages.

Ayla

Question (to anyone, not just monothingie): Is the Pirate Pass worth double the cost of the Pixie Dust Pass? You get weekends with it, but is weekend access worth (almost) double to you?

Any other "benefits" to the Pirate Pass that I'm overlooking here? Seems like the Sorcerer Pass is a way better value than the Pirate Pass, all things considered.
If you aren't a FL resident, you have one option available to you for an AP...the most expensive one.

monothingie

Premium Member
Being an AP holder is such a financially vicious cycle. I end up "getting my money's worth" because we spend more money on merchandise and table service because of discounts, we travel more frequently without incremental costs for tickets, thus spending more on merch and dining. Out of DVC Points? Coronado is only $175 with AP discount? A steal! Let's go! And the cycle continues.

Yes, I am a sucker but I am a happy sucker. Besides, Mickey loves me enough to sometimes send me a special magnet.
Come join me and @Sirwalterraleigh at APHA (Annual Pass Holder Anonymous) and follow our 12 Step Program.

Marionnette

Disney limits you to 10 day tickets. My common experience is that guests consider APs for longer trips in which the available ticket options do not fit.
Interesting. My common experience is that there are two major types of AP holders. There are locals who visit multiple times in a 366-day period and then there are others who take 2 (or more) visits of 5 to 10 days within a 1-year period. A single visit of 10+ days doesn't happen often with domestic guests. We generally don't get that much vacation time or are limited in the number of consecutive days that we can take off.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Stop being so condescending and patronizing towards someone who has been on this beat longer than you. I know you have a schtick, but it is so frustrating to see so many people getting this so dang wrong. Especially based on a freak out by “haves” with social media platforms used to having anything they want when they want it, that so many pieces moving at once, they can’t handle the disruption. Growing pains are painful, and can feel like an injury. A lot will be changing to fix older mistakes (housing) while still not being recessionary… nor making everyone rich, please.

And yes, against a backdrop of opportunity, Disney losing clicks should absolutely be worrisome, because it indicates a problem with the product, that won’t be solved by pulling price levers.

Now to go back to my previous comment “protecting profit margins” was more about business expectations towards *their* expenses getting more out of control, than issues originating with their customers’ wallets like you ran with. Because not only is everything more expensive for everyone, for Disney, they have to address deficiencies in their product.
…so no more recessions then?

We’re going to currency less like on Star Trek?

I’m down…don’t get me wrong…just let me know when I can stop paying bills? 👍🏻😎

But to your point. They are a products company…not tech or financial services.

If they lose customers - and by god they are - it doesn’t matter what the brainiacs say about “planning for cost appreciation in overhead”…you’ll lose revenue. And they can’t afford that in O-town.

That’s why I brought up recession. You have to have a plan for THAT! It’s not pricing more people out.
It’s all relative

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Not that I dispute your math…but you’re missing the entire point of passes. It’s to provide a backstop you can count on for attendance.
It’s also to make me and mono happy so we can get liquored up in Epcot, try on stupid hats and buy matching ugly Disney parks sweatshirts as we stumble past mouse gear…

That’s REAL profit. Made and shipped from a Chinese grade school and sold at high margins.

Charging me more for my pass is NOT profit or wise business…it lowers the aggregate spend of their customers every day…and they know it. But they’re trying to whack with fees so they don’t have to admit what’s happening to Wall Street. Running out of tarmac
Come join me and @Sirwalterraleigh at APHA (Annual Pass Holder Anonymous) and follow our 12 Step Program.
…pretty sure I just gave you the agenda for the next meeting above? 👆🏻

monothingie

Premium Member
Not that I dispute your math…but you’re missing the entire point of passes. It’s to provide a backstop you can count on for attendance.
It’s also to make me and mono happy so we can get liquored up in Epcot, try on stupid hats and buy matching ugly Disney parks sweatshirts as we stumble past mouse gear…
You'll have better luck finding the pictures of the UFO crash in Roswell than finding those pictures....
That’s REAL profit. Made and shipped from a Chinese grade school and sold at high margins.
I do buy a lot of stupid things while liquored up on $29 margaritas.
Charging me more for my pass is NOT profit or wise business…it lowers the aggregate spend of their customers every day…and they know it. But they’re trying to whack with fees so they don’t have to admit what’s happening to Wall Street. Running out of tarmac
Price increases awaken my inner desire to spend more of my disposable income.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

The laugh was for the last line. :)

First paragraph - Spot on. But with prices higher (and possibly rising even more) for those other travel costs, when does the cycle break?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You just outed the “dvc/AP paradigm”

We’ve spent decades trying to outspend our investment.

Like trying to cover a punt in a hurricane That lands in a different zipcode…

Shhhh! 🤫

The difference now I’m betting is there is actual business being withheld…when it was an idle thread for years.

“Escalation”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom