News Walt Disney World and other major Disney accounts stop posting on social media platform X

AEfx

That's the thing, though -- Twitter was never as big as you'd think. It never had anywhere near as many users as Facebook, e.g., and I'm pretty sure it was never even one of the 10 largest social media sites.

It did get a lot of buy in from companies, governments, etc. as a place to send out information, as you mentioned, but now that they're starting to pull back on that it's hard to see where the future is for Twitter/X when younger people aren't interested.

But see, that's just it - the user count is largely irrelevant in the case of Twitter - it's who is subscribed, and the reach it has that way that is important. I haven't had a Twitter account in many years, but I see "tweets" all the time. A huge portion of "news" on the internet comes from there (both in internet-only and also mainstream news). The other social media platforms are also much more opt-in based to see content - up until recently you didn't have to login or follow anyone to search Twitter feeds, so they are more "public" in that way (which is why I believe they pulled some that back). In any case, it's kind of mind-boggling how much of what we consume for news articles and media is based or sourced from Twitter.

I think the companies like Disney, etc. have realized that they don't really need the advertising on social media nearly as much as the "be all, end all" they thought it was a few years ago, and they also don't like stepping into the backlash that causes. It doesn't help their bottom lines, it only really can harm it by being part of it all to begin with due to the liability caused by being part of the discussion, no matter what the topic.

Figment1984

Plenty of debate here so no reason for me to weigh in. However, I just scrolled through the entire thread. I'm surprised there is no mention of what to do with Musk's representation in the Golden Dream montage of AA.
Nobody stays awake long enough to see that so it’s fine.

sedati

I mean… presumably if we are on these boards, all of us are or were Disney fans. Easiest way to describe the many posters on this board.
I long ago left that presumption. I've been on this board for literal decades. There is a very active population on here that in no way can be considered fans. At best I'd call them highly motivated detractors.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's also been used by the media as though it's the pulse of American (or even world) public opinion, when it's never been remotely suited for that purpose because it's never had anywhere near the broad reach among the general populace that Twitter/X users think it does.

While I agree it never could have been called a measure of America or it's pulse - It did have phenomenal reach which is why it was the platform of choice for people to get something discovered... and why it became the tip of the spear when it came to breaking news. The access combined with the audience and it's ability to operate without consent of the controls of media is why it became THE place for breaking news and where people went to find 'whats the latest buzz'.

It was never a representation of any populace - but it was the town square where people could see and be seen.

Now it's in decline primarily because of distaste and distrust of the people operating it, so the users are less eager and less tolerant of the BS noise that comes along with it.

UNCgolf

While I agree it never could have been called a measure of America or it's pulse - It did have phenomenal reach which is why it was the platform of choice for people to get something discovered... and why it became the tip of the spear when it came to breaking news. The access combined with the audience and it's ability to operate without consent of the controls of media is why it became THE place for breaking news and where people went to find 'whats the latest buzz'.

It was never a representation of any populace - but it was the town square where people could see and be seen.

Now it's in decline primarily because of distaste and distrust of the people operating it, so the users are less eager and less tolerant of the BS noise that comes along with it.

Absolutely.

I don't think it's solely due to distaste/distrust of the people operating it, though -- I think some of it is due to the operational changes too. The blue check mark on an account used to mean something, so if you saw breaking news coming from an account with one it was more likely than not to have some veracity. Now the blue check mark is essentially meaningless, so it's much harder for users to know what's coming from an actual respectable source instead of some random person.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't think it's solely due to distaste/distrust of the people operating it, though -- I think some of it is due to the operational changes too
All those operations things are because of the ppl operating it. It’s one in the same.

Twitter was adrift trying to fight off the upstarts while wandering through the wilderness trying to find a true workable monetization strategy. Leaving themselves open to bots and other trash to avoid pruning their user counts and activity in the meantime. Then Musk happened with all his nonsense and people no longer would give twitter the default position’ and started actively seeking new homes.

It went from tolerating the ugly side to get the good… to just trying to actively trying to find an alternative

denyuntilcaught

I don't think it's an all-or-nothing approach. Going dark on organic and coming back after a short pause is indeed meaningless, but I'm curious if they're still dark on the paid media side, which is really where the action needs to take place to (continue to) hurt X's bottom line.

celluloid

I don't think it's an all-or-nothing approach. Going dark on organic and coming back after a short pause is indeed meaningless, but I'm curious if they're still dark on the paid media side, which is really where the action needs to take place to (continue to) hurt X's bottom line.

"We will still use them for promotion" while the point was supposedly to stand firm against antisemitism comments, makes it pretty disgusting.

UNCgolf

All those operations things are because of the ppl operating it. It’s one in the same.

Twitter was adrift trying to fight off the upstarts while wandering through the wilderness trying to find a true workable monetization strategy. Leaving themselves open to bots and other trash to avoid pruning their user counts and activity in the meantime. Then Musk happened with all his nonsense and people no longer would give twitter the default position’ and started actively seeking new homes.

It went from tolerating the ugly side to get the good… to just trying to actively trying to find an alternative

I agree with you in general, but those two things are not one and the same. Distaste/distrust of leadership is a completely separate issue. The operational check mark problems would still exist even if the leadership was completely trusted because of how it muddies the water.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom