News Walt Disney World and other major Disney accounts stop posting on social media platform X

Brian

I feel for Linda. She left a very cozy job with NBC Universal and got the short end of the stick with being Elon's yesman. Though I generally agree with Elon's worldview (especially as it relates to the future of humanity), and find him entertaining as well, I'd imagine he would be very difficult to work for.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
It's a fine line to be sure, but did they resume ad spending on X or did they merely start posting again from their accounts?

Here's what Bob Iger had to say today on this via Deadline

“I have a lot of respect for Elon and what he’s accomplished. Not just you know, one business, but a few businesses. And we know Elon is larger than life in many respects, and that his name is very much tied to the companies he either founded or he owns, whether it’s Tesla or SpaceX, or now X. And by him taking the position that he took in quite a public manner, we just felt that the association with that position and Elon Musk and X was not necessarily a positive one for us. And we decided we would pull our advertising,” Iger said at the DealBook conference today during a Q&A.

-----

Iger said Disney entities from ABC News to ESPN are allowed to use X as a platform to communicate, but that’s it. Asked if he’s decided how long the ban would last, he said, “I haven’t. I haven’t really addressed it since the decision was made.”

Full article below.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Here's what Bob Iger had to say today on this via Deadline

“I have a lot of respect for Elon and what he’s accomplished. Not just you know, one business, but a few businesses. And we know Elon is larger than life in many respects, and that his name is very much tied to the companies he either founded or he owns, whether it’s Tesla or SpaceX, or now X. And by him taking the position that he took in quite a public manner, we just felt that the association with that position and Elon Musk and X was not necessarily a positive one for us. And we decided we would pull our advertising,” Iger said at the DealBook conference today during a Q&A.

-----

Iger said Disney entities from ABC News to ESPN are allowed to use X as a platform to communicate, but that’s it. Asked if he’s decided how long the ban would last, he said, “I haven’t. I haven’t really addressed it since the decision was made.”

Full article below.

Iger can definitely take this stance. And you can make a strong argument that it’s reasonable. But it’s interesting to consider some of the other stances he chooses not to take. Because. Money?

celluloid

The motive makes why it was chosen questionable.

Notice Iger also said the Elon stance was quite public. It then goes onto elaborate that he was worried about damage to Disney, not that it was a right thing to stand up against.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Iger can definitely take this stance. And you can make a strong argument that it’s reasonable. But it’s interesting to consider some of the other stances he chooses not to take. Because. Money?

Just compare and contrast the points from his town hall meeting last year and the one this year. Inconsistency and not meeting goals is the current hallmark of his return.

Brian

The motive makes why it was chosen questionable.

Notice Iger also said the Elon stance was quite public. It then goes onto elaborate that he was worried about damage to Disney, not that it was a right thing to stand up against.
I disagree with him that it was an overtly public stance. It's not like he put out a press release on the official X account. He replied to a post on his own private X account. Sure, the replies are public, but it's not like he specifically wanted to blast the message out to as many people as possible. He was sharing his personal opinion on his personal account, not taking a stance on behalf of the company.

Casper Gutman

It is not surprising a company would make a choice motivated, in whole or in part, by a desire to protect the brand. That doesn’t alter the fact that it was the right choice.

The only thing Disney is doing wrong here is dealing in half-measures. They should sever their relationship with Twitter completely.

Casper Gutman

I disagree with him that it was an overtly public stance. It's not like he put out a press release on the official X account. He replied to a post on his own private X account. Sure, the replies are public, but it's not like he specifically wanted to blast the message out to as many people as possible. He was sharing his personal opinion on his personal account, not taking a stance on behalf of the company.
Elon has worked very hard to link himself inextricably with the company. He frequently makes announcements regarding Twitter from his personal account. His Twitter account has a huge following. It would be nearly impossible to make a more public statement than the one Musk made.

lazyboy97o

Elon had Twitter’s code modified to specifically amplify his posts over everyone else’s. He absolutely “wanted to blast the message out to as many people as possible.”

Brian

Elon has worked very hard to link himself inextricably with the company. He frequently makes announcements regarding Twitter from his personal account. His Twitter account has a huge following. It would be nearly impossible to make a more public statement than the one Musk made.
Examples of ways he could make a more public statement than the one he made:

1. Post it from the official @X account
2. Put out a press release
3. Put out a post on his own account, rather than just a reply
4. Hold a press conference (he did actually do this, but in Israel, and to express support for the Israeli people after meeting with officials and family of hostages, ie. far more than actually antisemitic public figures in this country would ever do)
5. Have Linda (CEO of X) put something out

Ways he could make a personal statement reflecting his own views, not necessarily those of his company:

1. Replying to a post on his own personal account

Brian

You are willfully ignoring that Elon has worked very hard, making a number of conscious choices, to make his personal feed the voice of Twitter and to make himself the brand. Far more people heard his message than if he had followed any of your suggestions except 3. I’d say you are confusing public with official, but even “official” is a confusing concept in relation to Twitter.
Official is certainly a bit hard to grasp when it comes to X these days, especially when compare with how it used to go. You never saw official announcements coming out of Parag Agrawal or Jack Dorsey's accounts; it was all from the @Twitter account.

I think Musk has taken a more personal approach to the platform, and has sought to remind people that he is "the new sheriff in town" by making announcements of that nature through his personal account. Case and point, this is how he announced the purchase was complete:

That said, that doesn't mean that every reply or post from his personal account is the official position of X, or any of his other companies. If Iger went on X and made some comment I disagree with, I'd hold it against him personally, but wouldn't say it's the official position of TWDC.

lazyboy97o

Official is certainly a bit hard to grasp when it comes to X these days, especially when compare with how it used to go. You never saw official announcements coming out of Parag Agrawal or Jack Dorsey's accounts; it was all from the @Twitter account.

I think Musk has taken a more personal approach to the platform, and has sought to remind people that he is "the new sheriff in town" by making announcements of that nature through his personal account. Case and point, this is how he announced the purchase was complete:

That said, that doesn't mean that every reply or post from his personal account is the official position of X, or any of his other companies. If Iger went on X and made some comment I disagree with, I'd hold it against him personally, but wouldn't say it's the official position of TWDC.

This isn’t something new or different for Elon. Are you aware of the infamous “considering taking Tesla private” tweet?

Casper Gutman

What if Iger posted a video of himself saying offensive things on D+? And the video opened with the Disney logo? And he reprogrammed D+ so everyone had to see it? Oh, and he also owns Disney. And he’s been very, very loudly declaring that his personal philosophy and Disney’s corporate philosophy are the same.

lazyboy97o

I am, but I'm not quite sure how it's applicable to this situation with his allegedly antisemitic comments.
You’re trying to draw some line between personal and corporate when that just is not the case. Elon has been using his personal Twitter account to make corporate announcements for years now. Musk’s personal replies have also resulted in changes at X. Reinstating people like Andrew Anglin doesn’t exactly seem to be in line with claims to advertisers and the public that X is not a place that tolerates antisemitism and racism.

Brian

You’re trying to draw some line between personal and corporate when that just is not the case. Elon has been using his personal Twitter account to make corporate announcements for years now. Musk’s personal replies have also resulted in changes at X. Reinstating people like Andrew Anglin doesn’t exactly seem to be in line with claims to advertisers and the public that X is not a place that tolerates antisemitism and racism.
I just don't think that because one makes official announcements via their personal account that everything on their personal account going forward becomes an official position of the company. If I were in his shoes, I'd absolutely be separating it to avoid any confusion, such as what we're discussing now, and I can see why some would see it that way, but at the end of the day, I think that most people can read between the lines and distinguish between someone's personal thoughts and an official announcement/position*.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom